Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2016, 03:35 PM   #1

How many factory water leaks are to many?

I purchased a 2016 Jay Flight SLX 174BH at a winter show in January. I picked up the trailer in the middle of February from the dealer and had my first attempt at going camping April 2. I put water in the fresh water tank and turn on the pump to fill the hot water heater. I ran into the house for a couple of things and when I returned a few minute later there was water running out the front door and from underneath the trailer. I found that a plastic tee next to the water heater was broken. I took it back to dealer and they replaced the tee.

About 3 weeks later I went camping and during the middle of the night I heard the water pump kick on every 10 minutes. The next morning I inspect the outside of the trailer and there was water dripping by the water heater.

So I return the camper to the dealer again. This time I was present when they inspected the camper to find the water leak. The Tech found 2 more water leaks. All 3 were factory defects and the insulation under the floor was completely soak with water.

I have learned that before taking possession of the RV, to completely inspect everything and make sure it is working properly.

I have worked with the dealer and purchase a different trailer. I also have contacted Jayco to discuss having 3 water leaks on a brand new trailer is unacceptable in my option. The customer service reps told me that they could not do anything about it. The regional sales rep said that water leaks happen in a manufacturing process.

It seems to me that Jayco is skirting there responsibility to deliver a defect free RV to their consumers. Jayco fixed all of the water leaks under warranty, but I have owned used RV before and had to deal with wood rot. That is why I purchase a brand new trailer so I did not have to deal with that.

So buyers beware and make sure there are water leaks before picking up your new RV.

ibcrwln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:00 PM   #2

As far as I'm concerned, no leaks are acceptable. The reason manufacturers get away with putting out poor quality products is too many of us are willing to put up with it rather than go to the hassle of doing something about it. Had a manufacturer rep told me what Jayco's told you, I would have gone to jail for practicing proctology without a license after I got through ripping him a new one. That trailer never should have left the factory without making sure everything was in perfect condition.

Old 05-31-2016, 04:09 PM   #3

My trailer has not had any leaks, but I watch it like a hawk! If I hear ANY water pump cycling, I start looking.
The sad thing is that water damage may take time to show up, even if the leak if fixed right away. Then the consumer gets left holding the bag for a repair that might cost $$$$.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

Checking for leaks should be part of the dealer prep. Our local dealer does pressurize the system with water and lets it set for a few hours. It is full of water under pressure when the customer arrives for delivery.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:39 PM   #5

I agree all dealer should do that, in my case it was winter time and the trailer had been winterized. I should of made the dealer check the water system more closely.

But my issue is that the manufacture ships out a product that has 3 different water leaks, then when I contact them about it they tell me there is nothing they can do or it is part of the manufacturing process.

As stated above water leak issue do not show up until a lot later and the owner is stuck hold the bag.

Old 05-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #6

Winter or not our dealer puts every sold unit in a heated building and fills the tanks and pressurizes the water system. Then before the customer leaves it is winterized again. Dealer "fail" again.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:19 PM   #7

Exactly what do you want Jayco to do ? They repaired it under warranty, not sure what else they could do. Shooting the person that installed it is against the law last time I checked. As long as humans are part of the building process I expect some mistakes to happen, I know I'm not perfect as much as I strive for perfection. Are you sure it wasn't a poor winterizing issue? Was it the guy that installed it, or, someone after him that broke the fitting?

Our PDI was wet and under pressure, plus, (since we picked it up in Middlebury) we stayed two days two miles away from the dealer, to make sure everything worked. Which it did and a year later still does. I still do a walk around when I hook up to water and electric, no telling what may of happened in transit.

Lesson learned, never take for granted everything will work perfectly all the time. Check and recheck, each time you enter or leave your rig..

Good Luck in the future.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:30 PM   #8

At a minim I would expect them to own up to the defective manufacturing process when producing defective trailers and work on a process so it does not happen to other customers, instead of acting like it is no big deal to have water damage in a brand new trailer. You are the one that mention shooting somebody, I am not sure where that came from.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrwln View Post
At a minim I would expect them to own up to the defective manufacturing process when producing defective trailers and work on a process so it does not happen to other customers, instead of acting like it is no big deal to have water damage in a brand new trailer. You are the one that mention shooting somebody, I am not sure where that came from.
By covering it under warranty they are stepping up. And they do track warranty issues. What else would you like them to do?
Old 05-31-2016, 05:39 PM   #10

When I purchase the brand new trailer my expectation was to have a trailer without water damage. What I received was a trailer that had 3 manufacturing water leaks. If I want a trailer that had water damage, I would of purchase a used trailer for a lot less money.