Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #1

How many watts can the 12V cigarette plug handle?

I own a 2011 JayFlight (29QBH) and am planning to buy a 250W inverter to plug my TV and DVD player. Can the 12V cigarette plug found near the TV satellite outlet handle that? What is the max power?

Thanks!
benjamin247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:27 PM   #2

That plug is only rated for 8 amps, which is about 100 watts. However, what you will generally find is you have enough voltage drop out of that outlet that it is hard to pull more than a few amps without the inveter complaining about low voltage.

How many watts is your tv rated? If it is under 100, I would try it but my guess is you may not be happy with an inverter there. I understand there are a few of the new thin lcds out that have an external 12 volt power supply. Those make good candidates for doing what you are wanting.

I would be curious what you figure out in the end.

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin247 View Post
I own a 2011 JayFlight (29QBH) and am planning to buy a 250W inverter to plug my TV and DVD player. Can the 12V cigarette plug found near the TV satellite outlet handle that? What is the max power?

Thanks!
I run a 100 watt inverter from my plug in, and run the TV and a dvd player off that. Sometimes I have to start the inverter a few times, but it eventually fires up.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tafische View Post
That plug is only rated for 8 amps, which is about 100 watts. However, what you will generally find is you have enough voltage drop out of that outlet that it is hard to pull more than a few amps without the inveter complaining about low voltage.

How many watts is your tv rated? If it is under 100, I would try it but my guess is you may not be happy with an inverter there. I understand there are a few of the new thin lcds out that have an external 12 volt power supply. Those make good candidates for doing what you are wanting.

I would be curious what you figure out in the end.
Thanks for the info tafishce! I have a 40W LCD TV. If the plug is rated at 100W, would it be pointless to purchase an inverter rated at 400W?
benjamin247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM   #5

Inverters are not very efficient at changing DC Battery power to AC power. My 500W inverter can draw 40 amps of DC power when providing the rated 500W output. It needs to be close to the 12V battery source so you do not get a lot of voltage drop.

I too wanted to power my TV and DVD player with my inverter, but hooking it up and putting away was a pain with battery cables and extension cords and also then having to deal with them strewn all over.

I knew the inverter had to be close to the batteries, so I mounted it in the front storage area and used short heavy 8 gauge cables to run to the 12V to the tongue area.

I did not know where or how to interface to the individual AC outlet by the TV, so I decided to power the entire circuit at the Fuse/CB Box/Converter. The 15A CB that powers the AC outlet by the TV also powers the one under the Dinette table, the two by the bed and the second TV outlet in the bedroom. That's good, but the issue is it ALSO powers the converter. The hard part was isolating the circuit from the converter which it tied in right at the Circuit Breaker. I removed the length of 14/2 romex from the back of the converter and ran a short length of 14/2 in its place into a switch box that I mounted under the sink.

The 3-way switch allows the current in normal mode (up) to be routed from the Shore Power (or Generator) to the utility circuit and when switched down it routes the power from the inverter to power the utility circuit.
The AC output is routed down through the floor and frame cross-members with rubber grommets and cable clamps. It then goes back up through the floor into the trailer by the Fuse/CB Box/Converter under the stove and into the switch box.

When dry camping, I can access the inverter to turn it on and off by lifting the bed or by reaching into the storage area outside. Then of course I flip the switch to the Inverter position.

Maybe this post could be in modifications forum section.

22FB2010Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin247 View Post
Thanks for the info tafishce! I have a 40W LCD TV. If the plug is rated at 100W, would it be pointless to purchase an inverter rated at 400W?
That really depends on if you are going to use it for other purposes. They make more compact "all-in-1" units that have no cord, they just go right into the 12v plug. If you are going to leave it there dedicated, you might just go with the smaller option.

If you get much over 100 watts, I think it is best to go direct to the battery with larger gauge wire that is better than that think stuff that comes with it. You will start to generate a lot of heat if you pull too much out of those little cords.

I say give it a try though - at only 40 watts I think you are going to be in good shape. Let us know....

Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

22FB2010Tim - I like that setup. I will put a start a copy in the Mod Forum.