Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2017, 10:58 AM   #1

How much blocking?

Hello Everyone! We picked up our new JF 21QB in February, our first trip is Memorial Day weekend. We've been purchasing/gathering everything we believe that we need to carry to support the operation of our new TT. I am a bit OCD about carrying only the items that are needed mostly because I want to keep weight down and I hate clutter. I have four 10-packs of Camco blocks for the stabilizers at the corners, I will bring a few 16-ince pieces of 2x8 and a section of 4x4 for under the tongue support. For leveling, I plan to bring a length of 1x8 and a length of 2x8 as well as Anderson Levelors to level side to side. Most of the sites that we go to are not grossly un-level, so that being said, how much additional blocking should I carry?
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:12 AM   #2

Most of the time I use a total of 1-3 boards under the wheels and 4 under the stabilizers and that is it. I’m not sure exactly how many boards I carry. 99 percent of the time it’s more than enough.

I have a dedicated board for the tongue, which is two levels tall, all secured together.
I have about 6 wood (maybe 2”x8”x12”) boards for the wheels,
I have about 6 pieces of ¾” ply (again about 8”x12”) for the stabilizers, which can also be used under the wheels.
I have ran out of boards once or twice, and had to grab my little folding shovel and dig out a hole for the wheels to sit down in.

I also have 4 wheel chocks, and two BAL plastic versions of X-Chocks.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:23 AM   #3

I am not familiar with your unit. Do you have stabilizer jacks? Is yes, then you shouldn't need too many extra blocking unless you will be permanently parked?
I have about 4 4x4's blocks of wood for going under my stabilizer jacks plus a couple concrete blocks for the tongue. Also 4 regular size blocks (like the red bricks but these have no holes and are pure white concrete) in case the 2 wooden blocks are not high enough. I also use them for when parking in my driveway while loading because my driveway is on a slant
Hope this helps
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

I cut up a pressure treated 8x8 post into 16 inch lengths for under the main tongue jack. I usually take 3 of them with us and build a small 'pyramid' with them, obviously laying on the ground lengthwise. I don't like using the jack anymore than required. At my house I use more because the tongue of my camper is pointing down hill.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:39 AM   #5

Thanks very much for your input, I think I am close to having enough blocking, I am likely too concerned with adding excessive weight to the TT. I like the idea of carrying a collapsible shovel, that may come in handy someday.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
At my house I use more because the tongue of my camper is pointing down hill.
My driveway is not steep in my opinion, but I sure have to pack a bunch of wood under the tongue to get it leveled so I can chill down the refrigerator, scares the heck out of me!!!

Old 04-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eng45ine View Post
Thanks very much for your input, I think I am close to having enough blocking, I am likely too concerned with adding excessive weight to the TT. I like the idea of carrying a collapsible shovel, that may come in handy someday.
Yes indeed! We carry an Army surplus trenching tool under the back seat in the truck. It has come in handy numerous times. We got the cover for it too so I can attach it to some of my packs and just keep it from damaging anything when it's in storage.

There are a lot of cheap ones out there, I paid a little more for a legit version.

https://www.amazon.com/Military-Orig...1144819afb146a
Old 04-03-2017, 11:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
Yes indeed! We carry an Army surplus trenching tool under the back seat in the truck. It has come in handy numerous times. We got the cover for it too so I can attach it to some of my packs and just keep it from damaging anything when it's in storage.
I will definitely own one prior to our first trip!

Old 04-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Most of the time I use a total of 1-3 boards under the wheels and 4 under the stabilizers and that is it. I’m not sure exactly how many boards I carry. 99 percent of the time it’s more than enough.

I have a dedicated board for the tongue, which is two levels tall, all secured together.
I have about 6 wood (maybe 2”x8”x12”) boards for the wheels,
I have about 6 pieces of ¾” ply (again about 8”x12”) for the stabilizers, which can also be used under the wheels.
I have ran out of boards once or twice, and had to grab my little folding shovel and dig out a hole for the wheels to sit down in.

I also have 4 wheel chocks, and two BAL plastic versions of X-Chocks.
Quote:
I would caution anyone about digging in to level their trailer. Campgrounds don't like it, and it's likely that the next guy in that spot won't have the same needs. If everyone starts digging holes to level up, it's going to make a mess of the parking area.

I still buy into the theory of leaving a campsite at least as good as it was when I found it. Even if you fill in the hole you dug, it's still going to leave a soft spot that will likely deteriorate into a permanent chuckhole. With the proper planning, you should be able to get level without any excavating.

2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 Super Crew 3.5L Ecoboost
2017 Jay Feather X213
RPreeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post
I would caution anyone about digging in to level their trailer. Campgrounds don't like it, and it's likely that the next guy in that spot won't have the same needs. If everyone starts digging holes to level up, it's going to make a mess of the parking area.

I still buy into the theory of leaving a campsite at least as good as it was when I found it. Even if you fill in the hole you dug, it's still going to leave a soft spot that will likely deteriorate into a permanent chuckhole. With the proper planning, you should be able to get level without any excavating.
Great advice....thanks!

Old 04-03-2017, 12:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPreeb View Post

Every time I have done it, I have told the CG. Never been in issue. I also always have filled it back in. Both times the grade was extreme.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:17 PM   #12

Yeah, I don't actually use my shovel for digging into the parking spot. I agree that would probably be bad in your typical hookup sites. Guess it would depend on the situation.

It's just part of the permanent kit for the truck. Surprisingly useful for non-destructive applications . Last winter while tent camping, I used it to help dig out a stuck car, and then made a giant snow fort that served as base camp for one of the most epic snowball fights in the history of man-kind
Old 04-03-2017, 12:18 PM   #13

We have four of the 10 packs of blocks just like you do. We used to carry boards for the tongue jack. But this year our boards started to rot out, so I just bought a extra pack of blocks. They are lighter and more flexible for our uses.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:44 PM   #14
Site Team

We have the predecessor to your 21QB (19RD), and carry 2-10 packs of Lynx Levelers, a couple of 3/4" thick by 8' boards for that time you just have to level a bit less than the thickness of a block, and 5 short pieces of 3/4" deck board for under the tongue jack, if we reach its limits. The corner stab jack get 4 of those yellow pads underneath. We try, like some others to carry lightweight stuff.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:14 PM   #15

For my stabilizers I have two 2 X 8 about 12" long screwed together with a short loop of rope to make it easier to remove, for each jack. Wheels I use the plastic leveling blocks and for my jack I have 4 2 X 8 about 16" long screwed together. Chocks also ... never needed more than this .

Good camping

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 04:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Hello Everyone! We picked up our new JF 21QB in February, our first trip is Memorial Day weekend. We've been purchasing/gathering everything we believe that we need to carry to support the operation of our new TT. I am a bit OCD about carrying only the items that are needed mostly because I want to keep weight down and I hate clutter. I have four 10-packs of Camco blocks for the stabilizers at the corners, I will bring a few 16-ince pieces of 2x8 and a section of 4x4 for under the tongue support. For leveling, I plan to bring a length of 1x8 and a length of 2x8 as well as Anderson Levelors to level side to side. Most of the sites that we go to are not grossly un-level, so that being said, how much additional blocking should I carry?
Wow. With all that it sounds like you are going to camp and level-up on the side of the Matterhorn! Especially if you are OCD about only carrying the items most needed. I'd like to see the list if you weren't limiting yourself to the bare essentials.

We carry two 10 packs of leveling blocks and 2 extra aluminum jack stands that we place just to the front of the axles to eliminate bounce. Never needed any more than that.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 05:33 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewey02 View Post
Wow. With all that it sounds like you are going to camp and level-up on the side of the Matterhorn! Especially if you are OCD about only carrying the items most needed. I'd like to see the list if you weren't limiting yourself to the bare essentials.

We carry two 10 packs of leveling blocks and 2 extra aluminum jack stands that we place just to the front of the axles to eliminate bounce. Never needed any more than that.
This is why I ask the community what they bring. Our camper is in storage, it is difficult to visualize just what we need. It will be another six weeks until we bring her onto our driveway to de-winterize and begin loading her up.