Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire_Instructor View Post
I only open one bottle at a time. If I run out, it's a minor inconvenience, but I can switch-over, and go get the empty bottle filled.... Folks that open both (as my dealer advised me to do), run the risk of running out. I'd HATE to get up in the morning, not be able to shower or cook breakfast, and have to make a propane run.....
My regulator shows when it's switched to the other tank. All I do is look at it once a week or so, and when it shows it's switched to the other tank I just pull the empty bottle and refill it, knowing I've got at least a month or so to go on the full one.

In other words, I don't understand the concept of opening only one bottle at a time. If your regulator switches automatically, of course.

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 08:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkresge View Post
My regulator shows when it's switched to the other tank. All I do is look at it once a week or so, and when it shows it's switched to the other tank I just pull the empty bottle and refill it, knowing I've got at least a month or so to go on the full one.

In other words, I don't understand the concept of opening only one bottle at a time. If your regulator switches automatically, of course.

Roger
Totally agree! As long as one keeps half an eye on the changeover's window and refills the empty before the other tank runs out, you are never out of fuel.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Totally agree! As long as one keeps half an eye on the changeover's window and refills the empty before the other tank runs out, you are never out of fuel.
Hmm. this is something I'm not aware of. My rig came with 2 loaded 30lb tanks, but so far I only have opened the left side tank. I run the HWH on electric, but we do use the stove top regularly (never the oven). We used a little heat in the spring and will use heat again in the upcoming weeks.

To be honest, I've never really taken the cover off the tanks. I just open the top flap and open a tank. I've never seen the changeover window.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #24

Propane usage is minimal except when running furnace during cold weather. Avoid running out by keeping 2nd tank closed until #1 is empty. Better to have stove crap out when wife is cooking than be stranded with a dead furnace at 3am. When you think first tank is getting low, go ahead and switch and then refill first tank the next opportunity.

Our previous TT had twin 30s that in my mind was overkill. My Jayco W Hawk came with twin 20's which is plenty, lighter on the tongue, and can be swapped at a 1000 retailers if you can't get one filled.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 07:58 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Hmm. this is something I'm not aware of. My rig came with 2 loaded 30lb tanks, but so far I only have opened the left side tank. I run the HWH on electric, but we do use the stove top regularly (never the oven). We used a little heat in the spring and will use heat again in the upcoming weeks.

To be honest, I've never really taken the cover off the tanks. I just open the top flap and open a tank. I've never seen the changeover window.
When you open the flap to access the valves, look between the tanks and slightly aft. You will see a lump of clear plastic with green or red showing underneath. There is also a white plastic knob with a pointer.

If the pointer is set to a tank with fuel in it and the valve has been opened properly, the indicator will show green. Once that tank is empty, the indicator shows red.

With both tanks open, the tank that is pointed to will be drawn from exclusively until empty. Then the other tank will be drawn against.

It is your job to flip the pointer to the other tank (indicator will switch to green) then fill the empty tank.

Repeat as needed for the rest of the life of the RV.

Never run out. Theoretically, never have flashing lights on the fridge. But Reality has other plans....

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
When you open the flap to access the valves, look between the tanks and slightly aft. You will see a lump of clear plastic with green or red showing underneath. There is also a white plastic knob with a pointer.

If the pointer is set to a tank with fuel in it and the valve has been opened properly, the indicator will show green. Once that tank is empty, the indicator shows red.

With both tanks open, the tank that is pointed to will be drawn from exclusively until empty. Then the other tank will be drawn against.

It is your job to flip the pointer to the other tank (indicator will switch to green) then fill the empty tank.

Repeat as needed for the rest of the life of the RV.

Never run out. Theoretically, never have flashing lights on the fridge. But Reality has other plans....
Understand all that but in a world of a million things to remember, checking the propane is just not one that is going to make my list. At the beginning of each trip I make sure I have at least one full tank and the other one at least1/2 full with the 2nd one open and active. On a cold nite I sometimes switch tanks before bed time to avoid an outage while sleeping but then go back and use up the almost empty one. Works for me and I am never without heat at night. Only time that bit me was a trip to coastal Mississippi a few years ago when we were hit with a crazy and unusual freeze when we arrived. Used up the first tank on the way down, it was 5 below when we left home and ran the furnace all nite in a Wally World parking lot for the overnite. That blew thru most of the first tank and when we got to our CG on the coast, there were no exchange bottles anywhere to be found. It doesn't get that cold down there very often so people freaked. All the electric heaters were sold out too so we were stuck with the 2 small ones we had with us. Found a refill on day 2 so we never actually ran out but it was close. Water coming to our site froze in the ground. Welcome to the Gulf coast in late January.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote