Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2022, 12:21 PM   #1

How much water left in tanks?

I have a 2021 212 QBW with 80 Gallon fresh tanks. The problem I had was knowing how much water was left in the tanks. The second LED goes out when the level drops below 40-ish gallons, the first one never seems to go off, so could be anywhere between zero and 40.

The wife gets very concerned in case we run out of water and can't flush the toilet. So this is my solution:

I purchased a flow gauge so I know how much I put into the tank. This is the one I purchased, but there are plenty out there ($22) Flow Meter

The problem was how much had I used?
After much searching, and not wanting to spend silly money, I found this device for $26. Inline flow meter

This unit works great, but it counts down, so you have to reset it to 100 Gallons and monitor how much is used.

When I fill 'er up with fresh, I make a note of how much I added, and add that to how much was left. Now I know how much is in her I can reset the flow meter to 100 Gallons (long press of reset button, not described in the manual)

Wife is very happy now that she knows there is water for her flush.
I found much more elegant flow meter solutions, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on the solution.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:21 PM   #2

If I have a drop, my gauge says its 3/4-full
Old 01-12-2022, 07:28 PM   #3
Site Team

We just carry 3 gallons of water in gallon jugs. Of course we are not boon docking for long periods.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 07:52 AM   #4

^^^^this
Old 01-20-2022, 10:24 AM   #5

I have the same model trailer as you. Were the tubing adapters included with this the right sizes for the pump outlet tubing...or did you put it on the pump inlet tubing? In other words, just cut the pump outlet tube, push on both adapters and screw into the flow meter........plug/play essentially or did you need to do any other modifications?
66lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 06:47 PM   #6

66lincoln
I picked up a couple of fittings from Ace, couple of hose clamps and just cut the inlet line before the pump. Figured the inlet would be low pressure and less chance of leaks. In the pic you will see that they are 90 degree, because that was all they had.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20220120_173014.jpg  
Old 01-20-2022, 06:53 PM   #7
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil AZ View Post
I have a 2021 212 QBW with 80 Gallon fresh tanks. The problem I had was knowing how much water was left in the tanks. The second LED goes out when the level drops below 40-ish gallons, the first one never seems to go off, so could be anywhere between zero and 40.

The wife gets very concerned in case we run out of water and can't flush the toilet. So this is my solution:

I purchased a flow gauge so I know how much I put into the tank. This is the one I purchased, but there are plenty out there ($22) Flow Meter

The problem was how much had I used?
After much searching, and not wanting to spend silly money, I found this device for $26. Inline flow meter

This unit works great, but it counts down, so you have to reset it to 100 Gallons and monitor how much is used.

When I fill 'er up with fresh, I make a note of how much I added, and add that to how much was left. Now I know how much is in her I can reset the flow meter to 100 Gallons (long press of reset button, not described in the manual)

Wife is very happy now that she knows there is water for her flush.
I found much more elegant flow meter solutions, but I didn't want to spend a lot of money on the solution.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem.

I guess I am missing something. Where do you put that meter on the outflow?

I use that meter for filling. For the toy hauler I know that the system held 114 gals of water with both 50 gal tanks filled and the lines and hot water tank added the additional 14. Outflow is another question. Generally, on back country camps I might add 60 gals or so over a couple of weeks and have a quarter tank left when leaving. That was the "on the home stop" water.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #8

I put the flow meter on the Inlet to the pump. I figured that all water used would need to flow through the pump. Only exception would be low point drains, so obviously one would need to reset if you drained.

If one adds additional water during a trip, then one option with this meter is to "reset" back to 100 and count down. If you have tanks larger than 100 gallons, there is the option to set to 200 etc.

It does require a bit of math to calculate how much water remains, especially if you are adding during a trip.
Old 01-21-2022, 03:11 AM   #9

When I fill my tank, I fill it to when I get overflow dripping into the ground so I know its full to max.
Steve11669 is offline   Reply With Quote