Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2023, 12:11 PM   #1

How noisy should water pump be?

I have a 2016 Jayco White Hawk 29REKS. Have used it twice now. (We bought it just this year.) But I wonder how noisy the water pump should be.

That last time we camped, it was cold. So I disconnected the water hose for the nights, to prevent freezing. That was fine. But trying to sleep during the night when the pump would activate was something. Every few minutes, the pump activates, presumably to maintain a certain pressure in the internal lines. Maybe it would pump for 5-10 seconds and then “go to sleep” again.

So, I’m wondering about how noisy this should be and if there are any ways to mitigate that, so that we can sleep at night without interruption.
ScottRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 01:12 PM   #2
Site Team

Your pump should have a rubber mount that helps to isolate noise, and most times it's the plumbing vibrating against the floor or wall surface that amplifies the sound. That's where I'd start looking. I used a zip tie here and there, along with some small pieces of round pipe insulation where it layed on the floor.

The 5 to 10 second run time is a bit too long for it to build line pressure. Yes, there's expansion and contraction as water heats and cools in the water pump, but ours will run for no more than a second or so. More of a "burrp" sound.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:06 PM   #3

The pump should not run intermittently like that unless water is leaking from the system. In general our pump only runs when a tap is opened or toilet flushed. Any time I have had the 'burping' issue it has been because of a leak somewhere in the TT. Could be a dripping tap, and my most common nemesis is a low point drain valve that drips.

There are isolator kits that provider a softer mount for the pump, and you can certainly add an accumulator tank after the pump to maintain pressure much longer before the pump runs. But the first thing to deal with is figuring out why the pump runs and where the leak is - a bigger issue if you can't see it.

Since you say you disconnected the water on the nights it was happening, the first thing I would be looking at is the backflow valve located at the hose connection. These are fairly prone to leakage, and you wouldn't notice it if a pressurized hose is normally connected.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Could be a dripping tap, and my most common nemesis is a low point drain valve that drips.
Could also be a faulty check valve in the pump letting water flow back to the tank.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:45 PM   #5

Also check your outside shower and make sure both faucets are closed.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:46 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Could also be a faulty check valve in the pump letting water flow back to the tank.
X2 as in my experience a leaking check valve back into the fresh water tank has happened multiple times over the many years and I have never had any other leaks (not that this is true for others).
Old 01-16-2023, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
X2 as in my experience a leaking check valve back into the fresh water tank has happened multiple times over the many years and I have never had any other leaks (not that this is true for others).
That check valve is an ongoing widely known problem in Jaycos. I recently purchased a new bunkhouse model and it immediately malfunctioned. I am presently negotiating its repair under warranty and its beginning to look like a merry go round. What is bothering me most is that Jayco knowingly is installing a malfunctioning part and is not taking responsibility. I should not have to pay a cent for its repair. Instead I am getting advised as to what they will pay and what they will not pay.
Popfornicola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:44 PM   #8

Put in an expansion tank and shut the pump off for the night. It should maintain pressure for a couple bathroom trips.
Old 01-16-2023, 10:20 PM   #9

What I did to cut down on the noise when I used the water was to place a mouse pad underneath the pump.
Old 01-17-2023, 07:19 AM   #10

The first few trips out in my 222 my pump was extremely noisy, and I was on the verge of thinking I needed a new pump. For some reason I opened the taps on the outside shower and I purged out the air, something I had neglected to do earlier that spring. The noisy pump sound was gone. I don't understand the physics of it, but it was night and day difference in the pump noise. Make sure you have all the air out of the outdoor shower lines if you have one.

As far as your pump kicking on and off during the night, it should not be happening. Check for a leak, it doesn't take much, just and occasional drip will do it.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfornicola View Post
That check valve is an ongoing widely known problem in Jaycos. .
The check valve in question is built into the pump by Shur-Flo or what ever pump brand they are using and is not a separately installed item.
Old 01-17-2023, 09:02 AM   #12

I had backflow through a FloJet pump which caused intermittent cycling of the pump. It turned out to be plastic bits from the manufacturing process - probably from drilling the holes. I got the bits out of the pump which solved the issue and installed a filter on the inlet side. It was about $12 from amazon. Snaps right in.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:01 PM   #13

our pump was really loud. after looking at it the factory only used 1 screw to secure it to the floor instead of all 4 screw holes. I secured it to the floor better and its a lot quieter.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:39 AM   #14

Before my first outing, I purchased several sheets of pink Styrofoam insulation to put under the bed platform. I put a scrap piece under the pump, and that made a huge difference! I also discovered that the PEX water lines were tied directly to the water pump. There should be a piece of reinforced hose between the PEX and the pump to help minimize the vibrations going through the PEX. You can purchase a pump silencer kit on amazon or make your own using parts from any hardware store.
Old 01-18-2023, 09:22 AM   #15

If the pump is cycling for no reason, then there is a leak somewhere. It does not take much of a leak for the pressure to drop and the pump to cycle on. I doubt your issue is the pump. The reason, if the check valve is leaking it would be leaking while connected to city water. Over time your FW tank would have filled, and overflowed and been dripping on the ground.

There are lots of places leaks can occur.

Probably the most common plumbing leaking location is the pull up low point drain valves. They are typically located in the bathroom, under the sink. If they are leaking you will see a wet spot under the TT, under those drain valves.

My experience the PEX tubbing and compression couples are not the primary locations of leaks. I would check the threaded connections between the PEX and fixtures, such as both sinks, toilet, outside shower, water heater connections. Do not forget the city water connection. The city water connection is also a check valve. Check if it is leaking outside the TT, if that check valve is leaking, give the center a little push with a key or screw driver. It will leak water at you, but it might reset the check valve.

Pumps are naturally noisy! There is a few things you can do to help mitigate the noise. As other stated, you can add some foam/rubber under the pump. Do not secure the pump to tight to the floor. The pipes/tubes, can vibrate due to the pump cycling. Often many people will add some pipe insulation around the pipes near the area around the pump. This will keep the pipes from transferring their vibrating on to other things in the area.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:06 PM   #16

Quote:
That check valve is an ongoing widely known problem in Jaycos. I recently purchased a new bunkhouse model and it immediately malfunctioned. I am presently negotiating its repair under warranty and its beginning to look like a merry go round. What is bothering me most is that Jayco knowingly is installing a malfunctioning part and is not taking responsibility. I should not have to pay a cent for its repair. Instead I am getting advised as to what they will pay and what they will not pay.
Jayco has designed their warranty claim process to make you go away rather than pay claims. It's cheaper for them. It helps their bottom line since they don't pay for claims they don't authorize. I have had multiple warranty claims denied. Some of them were denied because it was cheaper and less aggravation for me to just fix it myself than pay for diesel fuel to take the trailer to the dealer, drop it off, leave, then do it again in a month or 3 when the dealer indicates the work was done. Conveniently, Jayco won't pay for repairs done by the owner. They play the game to it's full advantage.
cmikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:10 PM   #17

I just fixed a leak near the water, loose fitting, and I’m planning on quieting the water pump. I want to put rubber shock mounts under the pump itself and put some foam AC pipe insulation on some of the hoses from the pump. Mine is pretty loud also
Bobstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 04:20 PM   #18

The pump on our Keystone 220RD was jackhammer loud when the trailer was new. The pump was hard plumbed to the Pex lines and screwed to the floor in the pass-thru. I mounted the pump to a block of "stall blanket" (Tractor Supply) rubber as an insulator, added flex hoses from the pump to the hard lines, then encased those lines with foam insulation to reduce vibration transmission to any surface they touched. That quieted the thing down really nice.

Before insulating the lines:

Looking at the pump mounting on the new 212QB, I'll likely be adding a stall blanket insulator and covering the flex lines.
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:50 PM   #19

I always turn off the pump when I am not using any water. However, I have no leaks and no unexpected pump cycling so what you experienced is something I would suggest to check into, my bet is the check valve at the pump. ~CA
Old 03-03-2023, 05:35 AM   #20

Quote:
This is not unique to Jayco. It occurs across all makes and models. The check valve is part of the pump and not a Jayco specific part. The warranty issue is likely with your dealer and not Jayco. Jayco is not "knowingly" installing a malfunctioning part.
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote