Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-14-2015, 06:53 PM   #91

Camping is all about having a good time. There are thieves everywhere. But would they be willing to break into an occupied camper. I would hope not, but if someone tries to get in my camper, I will protect my family with every and all means necessary.

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:02 PM   #92

I just thought I'd throw this out there...for those that don't own/nor want to own firearms, Tasers are a safer alternative, IMO. No, I don't work for Taser, but when my daughters go off to college, No firearms allowed on almost all college campuses, I will be buying them each a civilian Taser. If you ever have to use it to incapacitate someone, Taser will replace for free. Law enforcement Tasers give the bad guys a 7 second charge and the civilian model gives them a 30 second charge.

Dan

'16 Ram 3500 MC CTD Dually, 4:10 rear
'14 Ram 2500 MC CTD (gone)
'14 287BHBE (gone)
'16 North Point 377RLBH (current and hopefully last)
Bookemdanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 07:39 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I just thought I'd throw this out there...for those that don't own/nor want to own firearms, Tasers are a safer alternative, IMO.
Had not considered a Taser, but they do make sense. Glad you mentioned it.

Our son is a paramedic who has seen them used when someone at the scene gets too rowdy. He said they will put the biggest, baddest SOB on the floor in a second. He especially enjoys seeing the perp at a domestic abuse call get zapped when he gets belligerent with the police.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #94

Bringing a teaser along is a good idea

2008 FORD F250 FX4 XLT DIESEL
2013 JAYCO EAGLE 314BDS(Ordered)
Donedroolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:58 PM   #95

Not everyone can (or wants) to sleep with a pistola under the mattress, and NONE of us want holes through our rigs! I really like the idea of keeping your TV/Toad key-fob handy at all times, and just press the alarm button ... that would scare-away all critters (both 2-foot and 4-foot types) in the blink of an eye! Bet Amazon even has some alarm solutions that would work the same way, or maybe there is a SmartPhone security alarm app.

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:30 PM   #96

Pepper spray, tasers, honking horns, all these non lethal devices will do the trick, assuming the problem is the kid next door. A street thug on meth, not so much. Someone who enters an occupied "residence" is a real problem. Multiple taser shots have failed to stop some guys, same with light caliber handguns. The guy can still hurt you tonight and bleed out tomorrow. We have bear spray, but it's backed up with other stuff.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #97

Bear spray, 6in hunting knife, 12ga short tactical, and a Rottweiler here. Never had a single problem.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:12 PM   #98

If your cautious where you camp, security is really not a major issue. I feel as safe camping as I do in my Brick and Stick house. Saying you carry a gun and that makes you safe is a false security ( and I am a CCW holder). the vast majority of people are not prepared to safely use a weapon in a critical situation. We work kamp so we spend about half the year in our TT. I have never felt threatened, or felt any of my "stuff" was in jeopardy. We leave for several days at a time several times a month and have never had so much as a log removed from our site. I could list all the times folks reported something "stolen" on one hand, and, in reality they left it behind and called the next day...things like blocks for leveling etc...people probably thought ( correctly) they were left behind and took them.. I don't call that stealing.

A spray can of hornet repellant would be as good as anything if you really felt threatened. I myself, I would leave anyplace I felt threatened and move to a place I feel safe. Our safety is our own responsibility not anyone else's. Being aware of your surrounding is probably the single most important thing you can do to make yourself safe.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyBound View Post
Bear spray, 6in hunting knife, 12ga short tactical, and a Rottweiler here. Never had a single problem.
Man, I would be afraid to knock on your door after dark, I could see it now, blinded, cutup,shot full of holes and hunk's of meat missing.
Old 03-31-2015, 10:43 AM   #100

We mainly camp in Forest Service 'grounds, where on the entry roads there are signs that there might be illegal immigrants and smugglers in the area. We currently have a PUP, so although the door locks, it can be opened by loosening the velcro. We have never had any strangers approach. The only problem we ever had was a rabid bat (out in the daytime!) trying to get in our windows, which were a) screened and b) zipped up anyway. On the other hand, I would not camp near a prison!

Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote