Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #101
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-n-Ash View Post
...On the other hand, I would not camp near a prison!
x2. However, if you're not familiar with the area, there's a good possibility you'll be unaware of this fact.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:50 AM   #102

I think it is possible to find out where prisons are, and avoid those areas. We're pretty familiar with the Arizona/New Mexico/Colorado areas where we camp, so ... no worries. :-)
Jim-n-Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:30 AM   #103

Lots of comments on guns here. I legally carry but I would really hesitate to use a firearm in a TT or CG. Sheet metal siding, fiberglass siding, insulation and a 2x frame member will not stop a round if you miss....it might pass thru a few adjacent TTs in a CG before it would stop.

Even a .22 round will pass thru a few sheets of plywood flooring and lodge deep in the hood of a a Fiat before it stops. Don't ask me how I know
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #104

So ... other than packing (CC or not), what OTHER things can we do to keep safe? I chuckled over some of the earlier postings (huge boots outside the door, tape recording of a monster barking dog, flashing/blaring motion-sensors, etc.). BUT in the middle of the night when I hear a bump that shouldn't be - my heart is in my throat until I figure-out what happened. Granted, make smart choices (in your camp location), lock-down everything outside, have the car key-fob handy to push the alarm feature, is there anything more? We've already changed our generic #751 storage locks to combos (VERY easy to do) ...

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 01:19 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-n-Ash View Post
We mainly camp in Forest Service 'grounds, where on the entry roads there are signs that there might be illegal immigrants and smugglers in the area.... On the other hand, I would not camp near a prison!
Interesting. The prison guards are allowed to apprehend their bad guys. I'd have to give that position another thought. LOL
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
Lots of comments on guns here. I legally carry but I would really hesitate to use a firearm in a TT or CG. Sheet metal siding, fiberglass siding, insulation and a 2x frame member will not stop a round if you miss....it might pass thru a few adjacent TTs in a CG before it would stop.

Even a .22 round will pass thru a few sheets of plywood flooring and lodge deep in the hood of a a Fiat before it stops. Don't ask me how I know
I also have a CC permit and agree with what you say here. A person must decide and be ready to take ownership of his actions. For me, a 380 HP round from 1- 2 feet is not going to miss center mass or over-penetrate. I made the 45 comment in a generic sort of way. There is such a thing as to much gun and you are correct that even 22lr is to much sometimes. And, any deadly force should come after every other possible resolution to a problem has been tried. But things can happen in a hurry. I personally would rather save a life than take a life.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote