Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #1

How strong is Aluminum skin TT ??

I am a newbie and read lots of stuff on the web. I am looking for feed back from TT owners that have traveled lots of miles with there Aluminum sided TT.
Does the Aluminum TTs get ding easy up over time from road travel?
Thanks, Mike
Mikeos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #2

Mike,

Welcome to the world of camping and may you have many years of enjoyment.

You are going to get comments from Aluminum TT owners as well as those with the smooth Gel Coat trailers so you will need to decide what is best for you, but first when you say strong that word can mean many different things. The biggest difference in most Aluminum trailers is they are the standard stick frame construction which will be heavier than the newer lightweight composite trailers. Some prefer the stick construction over the composite while others prefer the design and look of the smooth sided trailers over the aluminum. I have had 2 aluminum sided trailers and have been happy with both. The majority of my travle is on main highways so while i have some rocks they are not like going off road camping. The biggest risk to either type of trailer is water so if you keep them watertight both will last many years.

For the dings going down the road yes this is a possibility, but both my trailers have had a rock guard on the front. If a ding does occur in other places I could touch it up with some paint where those with the fiberglass front caps are harder to repair.

Hope this helps your decision and in the end you will have to decide what is best for your situation.
weekender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #3

Thanks and yes I understand about the two different skins and how they are built.
I have heard and read lots about the two but I am looking for real world feed back from those who have owned the Alu skin TTs. do they get ding up easy or will they take the everyday 2000 mile road trip??? Can I own a Alu. skin TT for 4 years traveling the country on good roads and not be all ding up from normal travels??
Old 03-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

It's not exactly the same, but I would look at it this way: How often do items hit your truck when you're driving in the same conditions you'll be towing in? Any of those items could potentially ding your trailer. For me it's pretty rare that something hits my truck, and we have A LOT rock running around the S. Texas shale country. There are plenty of older tin-sided trailers running around with nary a dent to be found... And a few that look like they were towed through a tornado...

I think the more important question is whether you like the other characteristics of the trailer (floor plan, weight, style...)

I have only one spot on my alum. sided TT that isn't straight anymore, and it was there when I bought the unit (I'm pretty sure). It's VERY minor, and only bugs me a little when I'm looking directly at it... Personally a ding here and there wouldn't bother me too much, and that's likely all I will experience (fingers crossed).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #5

Bob that is a good way to sum it up and is what I have been thinking but did not say it that way. I am not looking for the Alum vs FG thread but what is the norm for the Alum TT after years of use under reasonable conditions.
Thanks
Old 03-06-2014, 10:50 AM   #6

[? Can I own a Alu. skin TT for 4 years traveling the country on good roads and not be all ding up from normal travels??[/QUOTE]

Normal travels !!! Look at all that square foot area going down the highway at 60 MPH. The best of roads have stones on the roadway.A truck in front of you taking just one wheel off the road can take out your windshield in a heart beat and they fly over your car too and guess what's behind you. Don't forget road tar and it should be taken off fairly quickly.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #7

My dad has a 1977 Jayco with aluminum siding. Aside from some fading and a few dings it looks pretty good. I'd say it doesn't ding anymore than anything else.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:41 AM   #8

My neighbor has an aluminum sided trailer. After the first couple of years he made it a maintenance policy of checking all the seams around corners- roof etc as he said the aluminum has a tendency to flex in the wind going down the highways and crack loose the caulking on the seams. Aluminum contracts & expands a little in the hot sun - cool cycles.
billb800si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:30 PM   #9

The only dings I've seen on aluminum TTs is when they have been through a severe hail storm. The thin aluminum can ding much more easily, than say, your tow vehicle. However, I am not sure how a fiberglass TT would hold up under the same situation.
dewey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 01:37 PM   #10

Yes that is normal travel.....
Old 03-06-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Site Team

I`ve got a few dings on mine. It does not take much to ding one, the siding bends fairly easy. I have one on the back that appears to have been made by a bicycle handle, by one of my kids no doubt....
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote