Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #1

?How to check and adjust brakes on new White Hawk

Took possession of a new 2014 White Hawk 30DSRE recently. In reading the owners info, it says to check and adjust brakes after only a few miles and then again on a specific mileage basis. I am not familiar with what exactly I should be checking and how to make adjustments. Can someone give me some user friendly help.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #2

Could really use some help. Is adjusting brakes not an issue?
Old 07-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #3

Are your axles made by Dexter? If so, here's a link to a Dexter service manual. It has lots of information about trailer brakes, including their recommended adjustment procedure: Dexter Service Manual. The adjustment procedure starts on page 13.

Trailer brakes that are not self-adjusting do require periodic adjustment; as the brake shoes wear, the stopping capability is gradually reduced; it's so gradual it can catch you unaware. Adjusting brakes is not hard but the most important thing is to make sure your trailer is properly supported when you do it so it does not fall on you.

Also, the adjustment of your brake controller plays a vital part in braking safety.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

With a new trailer your brake controller is the only thing that probably needs adjusting. Most people adjust brakes when they service the wheel bearings.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:21 AM   #5

Thanks, my unit does have Dexter. Did adjust the controller on my initial trip to make sure I was getting the right amount of grab. I do it every time I head out.

Had an o6 keystone and never did anything to the actual brakes and never experienced any issues. Was concerned when the new owners info indicated a need to adjust after just a few miles.