Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #1

Question How to fill hot water tank - newbie needs help

I have a brand new 2016 Jayflight Travel Trailer. I think I'm just not getting it when it comes to filling the hot water heater. It seems it should be simple. Can I ask someone to give me directions on how to fill the tank? I guess I need one of those DUMMIES books. So, at this point, I have plenty of fresh water in the holding tank. The drain plug on the exterior hot water heater has been screwed in and I have some of that white tape on the threads. So, next I turned on the pump and I think it filled up. I am plugged in to A/C power at home right now.
1. I used the pump (button) to fill the tank. (The book is confusing on this, or maybe I am the confused one)
2. So, if step one is correct, then should the pump shut off automatically when the water heater has been filled?
3. If #1 and #2 are correct, then how do I heat up the water, and what does the hot water sink tap and pressure relief value have to do with this?
Yea, so you see, I don't get it...that's the part I need help with.
By the way, I have the LP tank open and LP is running through the line because I lit the stove and oven during my "pre-flight" so far.

So, I might be in some trouble here because I thought I did everything right, according to directions in the book. I noticed some water leaking near the hot water tank, and it appears that the leaking might be where the blue intake line goes into the water heater, but I can't be sure where the leak is coming from. It's hard to get into that area under the bunk.or from outside.

So next I kinda freaked out when I saw the leak, and I thought that maybe it had something to do with this pressure relief valve or the hot water faucet. I could not be sure the leak started when I filled the tank, OR, when I tried to heat up the water. So, I decided to start over and try to troubleshoot the leak. I drained the hot water tank..unscrewed the drain plug and let the water out. I did this thinking I didn't want water in the tank if something is leaking, and I want everything dry.

So, I'd like to troubleshoot this, but I think I need better understand the steps to fill the tank, and then heat the water in the tank. I was thinking that I would re-fill the hot water tank tomorrow, and as that is filling, feel back in there to see if there is a leak at that point. If there is, it seems that maybe the water intake blue line might not be tightened down. If that's the case, I'll take it in on warranty. But, my bigger worry is that if the leak is the water heater itself. Argghh. OMG, did I do something wrong maybe when I heated the water? I did release the pressure valve, but only water came out. Any help is appreciated.
AKJonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 11:54 PM   #2

If your just using water from you fresh water tank (water hose not hooked up to city water supply), then turn water pump on (it will kick off when water pressure reaches a certain pressure). There are 2 different ways to ensure hot water tank is full . 1) with pump on, turn on hot water at facet until all air is bled out... 2) outside at the hot water tank there is a pressure relief port. With pump on open that until air is bled out. Do not turn on water heater until all air is bled out (should only take a min or two). I would fix the leak before using again. If you don't have the proper tool to crimp it tighter, you could probably just remove the clamp and use a screw type hose clamp. If tightened properly, it should fix it just fine. Or you can take it back to dealer.
jws0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:38 AM   #3

Since you are using the fresh water tank, the water pump will run until the hot water tank is full. This could be more than a couple minutes if your hot water tank was empty. As JWS said, open the hot water faucet to let all the air out. Some of the new rigs have 10 gallon hot water heaters so it may take a while for the water pump to shut off. If you open the outside pressure relief valve on the hot water heater and water comes out, it is full.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 06:35 AM   #4

I am wondering if the va
Vets are set for einterize? Just a thought. Wish I could explain the difference had mine three years and I have to take a picture and use it every spring.
BillMc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:36 AM   #5

Check and tighten the fittings on the back of the heater where water lines attach. I had one work its way loose and leak. Also had one leak at the pump. Make it a habit to check all of your connections at least once a season as they can work their way loose while travelling. I check the connections at each faucet, the water heater and the pump at the start of the season ad every now and then during the season. The fittings are hand tightened.
klpoppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:56 AM   #6

OK. Thanks to all. I will do everything you said and report back. I hope I can get to that connection and hope that is where it leaked from. That is a super tight spot, but I'll give it a go.
Old 05-22-2016, 10:13 AM   #7

Thumbs up

Hey thanks to everyone. Your suggestions worked, but I found that I did have a problem...I pulled the cheap panel off that protects the water heater (from under the bed). Then as my son started filling the tank, I was watching all the connections to see if there was a leak. One of the fittings that goes directly into the tank is leaking...so we found it! Whew. You folks are great and really helped me out.
Old 05-22-2016, 11:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJonesy View Post
Hey thanks to everyone. Your suggestions worked, but I found that I did have a problem...I pulled the cheap panel off that protects the water heater (from under the bed). Then as my son started filling the tank, I was watching all the connections to see if there was a leak. One of the fittings that goes directly into the tank is leaking...so we found it! Whew. You folks are great and really helped me out.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 02:58 PM   #9

Glad you got it figured out. BTW, welcome aboard
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 07:14 PM   #10

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Hope all else goes well, and is trouble free !!!!
jws0679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #11

Hot water tank issue

I'm having the same issue. No water going to the hot water tank. I've opened all faucets and bled off all the air until just a steady stream of water is present. The bypass valve at the pump is in the correct position, and opened the safety valve as well. I have tried both the pump and the city water connection. Still have no water in the hot water tank. Any ideas?
Sparkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #12

Bad valve?
have a family member who has valves replaced twice because they were bad.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:43 PM   #13

Sounds like your by-pass valves at the hot water tank are not set correctly.

You have by-pass valves at the pump, but they are for winterizing your unit.

Have you located the back side of your hot water tank? There should be 3 valves there that you need to turn in order to make your tank fill.

Old 02-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #14

If your getting water out your hot water side of the faucet, then you have hot water in the tank. It may not be hot but water would have to be in the tank for it to flow out the hot side of your faucet. The hot water tank may not be turned on, either electric or propane or both, but water flowing out the hot water side of the faucet indicates tank full or tank bypassed.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
Sounds like your by-pass valves at the hot water tank are not set correctly.

You have by-pass valves at the pump, but they are for winterizing your unit.

Have you located the back side of your hot water tank? There should be 3 valves there that you need to turn in order to make your tank fill.

Thank you! I believe that I will need to go under the bunks to get to those valves!
Sparkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
If your getting water out your hot water side of the faucet, then you have hot water in the tank. It may not be hot but water would have to be in the tank for it to flow out the hot side of your faucet. The hot water tank may not be turned on, either electric or propane or both, but water flowing out the hot water side of the faucet indicates tank full or tank bypassed.

Good Luck.

Not necessarily. If the valves are positioned to bypass the water heater, then the cold water will "short circuit" to the hot water side without ever entering the hot water tank.

That's how it is plumbed on my trailer anyway.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #17

That is what I said in the last line. Either the tank is full or bypassed. It may not be hot if the tank is not turned on, as I also said.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #18

Fresh Water goes straight in the grey water tank

RV = Forest River Destination Sierra 1998 stock.

Hi, I did something wrong filling up my fresh water tank.(I add too much beer I guess) At first I've hooked up an air compressor in the city water system to drain the pipes and it worked then, I simply added water and started the pump. My girlfriend told me that the water was flowing out under. I closed the drain valve. Then I realized I had to close the anti-freeze bypass under the bed. I started to have fresh water in all faucets. Then I thought about getting hot water. I opened the valve on top (hot water out). I heard water flowing in the hot tank so I thought i was fine. I wasn't. I then realized that there might be a cold valve in and I found it. After that i was hearing water flowing in the tank even more and I thought I was OK. I was not because it took my another hour that there was a bypass valve and is why i was getting cold/hot water mixed together. After that, the faucets were now sucking air in none stop and I could hear all my freshwater going in the hot water tank non stop... Like my 35 gallons of fresh water would never end filling up the hot water tank. I've looked everywhere for leak but couldn't see any water. I check my grey black tank levels and the grey one was already at 50%. I spent the rest of the week-end asking myself how in hell would water go from the hot water tank to the grey tank without passing by anything visual. Now I am totally lost. I only found a diagram somewhere on internet that talked about a second pump somewhere that prevents water from flowing in the gray tank but where is it and what i do I have to do now? Thank you!
giotrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #19

OK, First let me say that the "valve" on the upper side of the hot tank is an overpressure safety valve. Yes, you can pull that lever out to expel air when you fill that tank OR you can just go to the sink and let air out of the hot water side until water comes out. Other things, dont even try to fill the tank until the valve for cold water input to the tank is opened, the outlet for hot water from the tank is opened, and the valve between the two is closed (bypass hose). I guess you got the antifreeze input to the pump figured out and turned off. It does not matter if you fill the tank with city water supply or if you use the fresh water and pump. Make sure the plastic plug is in the bottom of the tank. Make sure that if you use that overpressure valve to displace air in the tank that you close it once the tank is full. I cant imagine how the grey tank was filling unless you had a faucet running of the toilet was running.
2014 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost
skids is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fill hot water heater