Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2012, 06:31 AM   #1

How to install a TV mounting bracket 24RKS

Hello all

I am planning to install a 24 inch TV over the dinette area in my new 24RKS.

There is a sticker on the wall indicating the location the bracket should be installed.

Before I start drilling holes, does anyone know what is behind this sticker. I would like to know what kind of support is there to help me pick the right bracket and mounting hardware. I doubt the three inch lag bolt that comes with most TV mounting brackets is going to work.

Ed
radar67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

I used 1" wood screws because the plywood behind the sticker is 1/2". The plywood goes from the wall stud to the left of the sticker to the wall stud on the right of it as well. On mine the plywood is 3' top to bottom. I used a stud finder to find the complete area of plywood and would advise anyone else to do the same. The plywood is very sturdy and no problems holding tv with no wall flex.
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:23 AM   #3

I'm only stating what I have used. Some people say that getting plans from Jayco is the best thing to do. While others have said that the plans were wrong. I just decided to figured out for myself.
Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #4

Thanks

Thanks, appreciate it. Funny, I had no issues installing a 108 inch screen home theater, but just had a quezzy feeling about starting the TT.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preston View Post
I used 1" wood screws because the plywood behind the sticker is 1/2". The plywood goes from the wall stud to the left of the sticker to the wall stud on the right of it as well. On mine the plywood is 3' top to bottom. I used a stud finder to find the complete area of plywood and would advise anyone else to do the same. The plywood is very sturdy and no problems holding tv with no wall flex.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar67 View Post
Hello all

I am planning to install a 24 inch TV over the dinette area in my new 24RKS.

There is a sticker on the wall indicating the location the bracket should be installed.

Before I start drilling holes, does anyone know what is behind this sticker. I would like to know what kind of support is there to help me pick the right bracket and mounting hardware. I doubt the three inch lag bolt that comes with most TV mounting brackets is going to work.

Ed
radar67,
I have the same model TT, and was planning on putting a TV up as well. If you don't mind, post your results when you are done. I am curious.

Terry
Old 04-15-2012, 05:29 AM   #6

You bet Terry.

The trick I think is going to be finding the right mounting bracket. I have received some conflicting information.
1. the support behind the "sticker" is a three inch high piece of 1 inch plywood running between the two wall studs. That came from the RV dealer.

2. the plywood behind the sticker is a fair bit bigger, and may in fact go to the ceiling.

So time to break out the stud finder, and depending on what I discover will determine what I do.

if it is scenario one.
The mounting bracket I have is least that three inches tall, with four mounting holes, with a quick disconnect between the TV plate and the wall hanger (easy to remove when towing). But because of the smaller base it only tilts up and down, and only has a limited range of motion side to side (so I can angle it more towards the couch)

scenario two
It a full motion mount, which will allow me to postion the TV more in the corner, towards the small shelf and radio, better angle, maybe a better overall look, the disconnect is fairly easy as well, but there may not be enough backing due to the bigger wall hanging plate.

I am really not sure how much the TV will be on, but its there if we want it I guess.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls001 View Post
radar67,
I have the same model TT, and was planning on putting a TV up as well. If you don't mind, post your results when you are done. I am curious.

Terry
Old 04-15-2012, 07:26 PM   #7

Mine had a 6x6" piece of 1/4" plywood stapled in between the 1x2" studs and the sticker wasn't anywhere near it! Since it wouldn't hold much anyway, I inserted a 2x8" floor to ceiling and now have a Sony 32" tv in the bedroom.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #8

Tv is in

Quote:
radar67,

Terry
Hey Terry, The install went well. I asked the dealer where I bought the trailer for advive, but they where all over the place, helpful, but not consistant. I sent a request for information off to Jayco, they sent me the drawings, which is great. Took a stud finder, just to double check the drawings and it was bang on. I used a full articulating arm, with just over a 12 inch reach which folds on it self,making it very easy to store flat against the wall, or swung out facing the couch for viewing. It is a 24 inch TV, but that is about as big as you could go. The mount has four attaching points to the wall, more than enough, and I used 1x5/16 inch lag screws, very solid. To remove the TV fron the mount there is one bolt, with east access between the arm and the TV plate. I would have posted a picture, but forgot my camera. However here is the drawing from Jayco.
Not much work for a TV I may never use, but atleats it is there if I need it.

I was going to attach the drawing, but it is too big, Jayco sent it to me in about two hours as a PDF

Ed
Old 04-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #9

Ed,
Thanks for the info, I am still debating on size but I think i will go with a
22" TV. How big was the actual support in the wall according to the drawings???

Terry
Old 04-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
Ed,
Thanks for the info, I am still debating on size but I think i will go with a
22" TV. How big was the actual support in the wall according to the drawings???

Terry
I can email you the drawing if you like, the file size was too big to post it.

However as per the drawing it is a 5/8 piece of plywood, running from the outside corner to the edge of the cabinent, 10" wide x 17 3/4" long.
So from the ouside corner down 17 3/4" to a 1x2 running the full length of the wall, matches up to the bottom of the cabinent, and coming in from the edge 10".
With the stud finder, mine seemed to go the full width of the wall, but to be safe kept the wall bracket within the horizontal definition of the sticker.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM   #11

Sent you a PM, There don't seem to be that many folks with a 24 RKS, it's nice to have someone to compare notes with.

Terry
Old 04-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #12

Quote:
Sent you a PM, There don't seem to be that many folks with a 24 RKS, it's nice to have someone to compare notes with.

Terry
Sent it this morning, if you have any questions let me know. Before I bought the taile my home theate was my big hobby. The TT is something I have always wanted to do, but I am a full blown rookie so I may be asking plenty of questions.

Love the layout of the 24KS, it is just the to of us so there is plenty of room.

My first trip is 11-May, have to wait a little longer being north of the border, but I'll let you know how it goes
Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #13

This place has some decent wall mounts for TV's, http://www.jensenrvdirect.com
The MAF30 is nice and TV can easily be removed, I bought the extra wall bracket and put it in my garage to use the TV in there.
Turn2Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #14

Completed

Full motion arm, allows TV to swing out of the way, or towards the couch for viewing. One bolt to remove TV for traveling.

Works good, now I should turn on the TV to see if it works
Attached Thumbnails
2012_0512Christmas0076.jpg   2012_0512Christmas0079.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 07:13 PM   #15
RVA

We just purchased a 2014 24RKS White Hawk. The bedroom has a place to mount a TV. Has anyone installed a TV in the bedroom yet? Any advice would be helpful.
RVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:01 PM   #16

RVA

Installed a TV mounting bracket in the bedroom of my Eagle a couple of weeks ago. Don't believe the sticker! Use a stud finder, instead. I drilled two holes within the sticker and still couldn't find the backer. Finally went home & got the stud finder. Found out the backer was a good 2" below the top of the sticker. But it's about 18" square. That's good, because I ended up not liking the spot I mounted it, so will end up moving it. I originally centered it between the edge of the open sliding bedroom door and the corner (I'm sort of a symmetry freak). Then I realized that the mount has a single articulating arm, with swivels on both ends, and I wouldn't be able to tie the tv to the wall during travel. It would either hit the sliding door, or hit the outside wall of the trailer. So, I'm going to be moving it closer to the slider. Will have to get out the spackle and paint to match the wall covering as well as I can.

Hope you have a little better luck!