Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-14-2019, 09:09 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymailman View Post
When we are on long day road trips, we leave the gas/fridge on. turning it off when refueling. Remember it may not be just you refueling at the pumps.

Not to be a downer but lol... If you were to be in an accident and there was a fire/explosion. And they find your gas was on, good luck on any insurance covering you, regardless of fault.
If insurance only covers you when you remember to do everything "right"---then what's the point of having insurance?

We're all human. As humans we forget to do a lot of things . . . including turning off the propane in our RV.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
If insurance only covers you when you remember to do everything "right"---then what's the point of having insurance?

We're all human. As humans we forget to do a lot of things . . . including turning off the propane in our RV.

So long as you're not traveling in an area that they are supposed to be off, you'll be covered.
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo1130 View Post
So long as you're not traveling in an area that they are supposed to be off, you'll be covered.
Not sure about your insurance policy. I've read my insurance policy. It has no coverage restrictions in the event you legitimately forget to do something.

For instance, we're all supposed to stop at all red lights. It's the law. If you forget to stop at a red light and hit someone, it's common knowledge that nearly any insurance company will provide you financial protection even though you broke the law by forgetting to stop at the red light.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #24

Thumbs up

Good point
Johnnymailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
We keep ours running while traveling. I've never had a problem. You can get a remote reading thermometer such as a Temp Minder and monitor your fridge temp while you drive. We have a two channel one that reads the temp in the camper, one in the fridge and one outside so we know if jackets are needed in the morning.
A rv repair guy told me NEVER to travel w propane on. He told me some horror stories of fires, etc. instead either go w it off and turn on generator at breaks or travel w generator on. Hopefully you have one. If not most fridges can keep food cold for several hours. All about choices.
Dancingqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 09:32 AM   #26

As a retired 30 years claims adjuster, your insurance, unless otherwise excluded in the policy, should cover the accident, unless you intentionally caused the fire/explosion. By leaving the propane on, you are trying to keep your food cold and not intentionally meaning to cause a fire. If Johnnymailman is correct, then if you accidentally run a red light and plow into somebody, then insurance would not covered the accident.

mitchhelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:28 PM   #27

I do not travel with it in on. The one time we did the wife heard an alarm coming from the trailer when we stopped to get a case of water. When I got keys and opened the door the alarm was clear. I can only think it was the propane alarm that was going off.
After this we never traveled with it on. We ore chill the fridge and fill it before travel. We have traveled 4-5 hours and never had an issue. Soon as we get to our site we light it and everything is still cold and frozen in freezer
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 05:39 PM   #28

We precool ours for about 12 hours before we set off, then load it with pre chilled food. Any remaining space is taken up with bags of ice or jugs of chilled water.

Never had any problems, even after long drives.. even in Florida heat.

Jay Feather 19XUD, pushing a Jeep Grand Cherokee
WeRJuliian is offline   Reply With Quote