Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-20-2014, 06:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsttype View Post
We've had the same problem with our grey tank filling in a few days from taking showers, doing dishes, ECG. We found the simple solution was to wait until dark. Then I sneak out and dump the thing in the grass and presto I have an empty grey tank!
Thats what I do too if its in a place it doesnt matter. I even carry an adapter cap and 100' of cheap water hose to drain the grey tank when the needs arrive. With the hose I can usually find a place down hill to drain the grey tank too....and it will be dried up by morning time.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:09 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
Thats what I do too if its in a place it doesnt matter. I even carry an adapter cap and 100' of cheap water hose to drain the grey tank when the needs arrive. With the hose I can usually find a place down hill to drain the grey tank too....and it will be dried up by morning time.
That's the obvious solution other than just using less water in the RV;BUT one that will get you a fine or thrown out of the CG if someone turns you in. I've used a 5 gal bucket w/ top that I use to store my sewer hose and carried the grey water to a near by drain or out in the woods from time to time. Most CG's don't take kindly to any kind of dumping including grey water although I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for pitching a tub of dish water or taking a shower using the external hand held.

Correct answer, get a dump tote and use it.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:39 AM   #23

Guess it depends on where you are. Where I normally camp in the summer months, everyone does it in the whole campground... all 54 sites have a hose hooked to their grey tanks. No different than pouring it down a drain or in the woods....it's just water.

Like I said, i'd only do that in a place it doesn't matter....a 5 minute look around and you can tell if it matters or not.

We have a dump tote, and use it, for the Black tank mostly.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianW's View Post

Since we are allowed to wash dishes outside, I've started using the outside shower to fill a plastic dishwashing bin and do my dishes outside, but I need to get a table that's adjustable to my height as the little one I currently have is so short it hurts my back. But at least it's one way to save from filling up the grey water tank so quickly.
This is the only way we do dishes. I found a small folding table at the right height. it holds two dish buckets and a drying rack. I put a vinyl tablecloth over it to keep it dry, then wash to my heart's content. And the only time I ever use the shower, is when it is just me and my son on a hunting trip. Most of the time the shower/tub gets used as a dirty cloths bin.
I tend to run out of freshwater before I run out of grey water capacity.
tjpolsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:05 AM   #25

One thing that gives you a decent amount of extra capacity is to buy an additional gate valve for the waste tank outlet. With it close, you can open your grey and black tank valves without spilling anything.

Given that you are sure that your grey tank is full or close to full and your black tank is not, open your grey and blank tank valves and they tank levels will equalize with gray water flowing into the black tank. Close the valves and check your levels, your gray and black tank should be roughly at the same level. With my trailer that turns my 40gal grey tank into an 80gal one, just be careful about the levels of the two tanks, you don't want the black tank contents flowing into your gray tank (although it not the end of the world).
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quahog View Post
Ditto what jddave said. It seems to help keep the black tank fresh too.
I never thought of that. I have 2 gray tanks on my 29 RLDS so I haven't had a problem yet but will keep that in mind

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
Guess it depends on where you are. Where I normally camp in the summer months, everyone does it in the whole campground... all 54 sites have a hose hooked to their grey tanks. No different than pouring it down a drain or in the woods....it's just water.

Like I said, i'd only do that in a place it doesn't matter....a 5 minute look around and you can tell if it matters or not.

We have a dump tote, and use it, for the Black tank mostly.
In many areas, grey water if it contains food particles is considered black water and must be disposed of as such. The food particles do not disappear overnight, they draw animals, bugs and bacteria. Putting all your fellow campers who come after you at risk.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:29 AM   #28

I could only wish our 18 SRB had a 32 gallon grey tank! We only have a 9 gallon tank and we have to be ultra conservative to make it one day without a trip to the dump station with our blue tote. We always stay at CGs with showers and restroom facilities. We also use paper plates when possible. I guess you say we're definitely not tree huggers! lol

HaPPy Travels to each and everyone!
krcarter54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 PM   #29

Did it come stock with two gray tanks or is that an upgrade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
I never thought of that. I have 2 gray tanks on my 29 RLDS so I haven't had a problem yet but will keep that in mind
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 05:24 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
There are a number of floorpans that come with two tanks. We have 95 gals of grey water tank capacity, which is great when you're camping with low/no hookups. We even have a 3rd tank I think that services the outside kitchen but it can't be more than a few gallons.

2015 Ford F350 Lariat FX4 6.7 CC DRW
2015 Eagle Premier 351RSTS

Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:41 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddave View Post
Canadian ws
Re your grey tank:
We are on a 3 1/2 month trip of North America- what we find than helps is to dump all the dishwaser water into the black tank. This way the black tank gets needed head pressure to dump and the grey tank has more capacity.
Hope this helps and don't release the grey tank until the shower will not drain.
We also dump used dishwater into the black tank. It certainly stretches the capacity of the 32 gallon grey tank and the extra water helps the black tank from becoming aromatic. I think the soapy water also helps when I dump the black tank.

With only DW and I, this technique allows us to camp for over a week without having to dump the tanks. Now if a couple of grandkids are along, they do fill faster.

2014 Greyhawk 31FK
2007 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100cc
NC Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:24 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbreath View Post
It came stock that way. We never dry camp, (just spoiled I guess) but at one of our favorite beach spots (San Onofre) some spots have water and electric only, no sewer so we dump at their dump station when we leave. But with just the wife and I, we can go about 5 days before we have to dump. Actually at that spot they have a honey truck that comes around and for $10.00 they pump your tanks where you are parked.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once
joe in calif is offline   Reply With Quote