Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

How to know if TT was built in IN or ID

My wife and I are ready to buy our first TT and We've decided to get the SLX 287BHSW. We have visited couple of dealers nearby and called few other dealers within 400 miles from where we live (SoCal). There are two charges/fees that are preventing us to commit to buy.

The first one is the freight/delivery charge. Salesman states that the cost of bringing TT from Indiana to SoCal (approx. 2200miles) is about $3500. I've done some research and found out that there is a Jayco plant in Idaho which is 850 miles from here. So how do we know if the TT was built in IN or ID? Salesman said they're all coming from IN. If I can find out they're built in ID may be I cqn negociate the freight charge.

The second charge is the "set up fee" ($1200) Salesman said this cover prep, walk around and inspecting TT. Really!! $1200

I'm looking forward to read your feedback

Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
gilgrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #2

Welcome!

There are only a handful of models built in ID, and not sure that the SLX is one of them. I've been wrong before though

Considering our "freight" charge is $2500 for a 900 miles, yours doesn't seem too bad. That said, other than a $150 documentation fee (RMV, Insurance, etc.) we're not paying anything else so our "set up fee" could be included in the "freight".
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:57 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
There are many tactics in sales to try to get your money. Deal with a few different dealers and get the written quotes. Compare and whoever satisfies you.....go with.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum.

You could buy from Indiana RV Connection in Middlebury and drive to Indiana and pick up your trailer there. That's what we, and a few others on this forum, did.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #5

Why not just deal on an "out-the-door" price? They can fudge their numbers internally to show their company margins.

Who cares what fees or fancy names they have for them....bottom line is the total price you pay driving off the lot with the unit.

That's always been my tactic for vehicles or travel trailer....otherwise you walk in to the finance office to finalize the paperwork and are greeted with 3+ magical "dealer fees".
theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:28 PM   #6

TT Buying from Dealers

Go for 35% off MSRP and accept nothing less than 30% off. Try RV Direct on line and compare prices with you picking it up at the nearest drop point to you. I have heard more good than bad comments from people on this forum that have done just that. What the H--- is a set up fee? Sounds like they are trying to set you up alright. Wasn't it Barnum and Bailey that said a sucker is born every minute!!! What ever you do, wish you good luck. Would like to hear what your end result is!!! Please post after the fact.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:36 PM   #7

TT Buying

To get a feel of how TT's are assembled, Jayco has an on line video of the assembly of a Jayco J Flight in approx 8 hours. Start to finish and out the door unit. Makes you wonder. Hang tough with the Dealer, they aren't you friend in most cases after they get you money, that is!!! You aren't dealing with Camping World, I hope.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #8

Years ago we had a very active RV delivery driver on here. Through a PM conversation he told me that he typically made about $1.10/loaded mile, of course cost have increased and demand is outstripping supply so I wouldn't be too surprised at $3500 to So Cal...we paid $2500 to Sacramento in 2011.

$1200 setup fee is a junk throw away fee.

Very very few models are built in Idaho. If I recall correctly it was just the smallest of units, 18xx - 20xx --- but I could be mistaken.

In California, Ild say determine the MSRP through the online build tool on Jayco's site or the actually build sheet that ships with the trailer. Be confident in a walk away offer of 70% of that number plus some delivery and tax/title. At the 70% number I would try to pay 1/2 the delivery fee, but I wouldn't lose the unit I wanted over $1500...my time is worth to much to haggle and shop for more than a few hours.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #9

Bought my SLX in Las Vegas and it has a "built in Idaho" sticker right on it.
Purchase Feb 2017.

If a salesman says they don't build them in Idaho anymore.......be wary.
Old 09-23-2017, 03:41 PM   #10

Mohak1, Not all Camping Worlds are bad. Even though I did not buy my Senica from them the Tucson store has been there to handle my needs. My only complaint with them is lack of parking and they are working on curing that problem.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #11

I bought my White Hawk from the Tucson Camping World. I needed a bunch of stuff done after some shake down runs. Took them 3 weeks but when I picked it up everything on the check list was completed and they actually went beyond what I asked. I believe the parking issue has been resolved.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgrc View Post
My wife and I are ready to buy our first TT and We've decided to get the SLX 287BHSW. We have visited couple of dealers nearby and called few other dealers within 400 miles from where we live (SoCal). There are two charges/fees that are preventing us to commit to buy.

The first one is the freight/delivery charge. Salesman states that the cost of bringing TT from Indiana to SoCal (approx. 2200miles) is about $3500. I've done some research and found out that there is a Jayco plant in Idaho which is 850 miles from here. So how do we know if the TT was built in IN or ID? Salesman said they're all coming from IN. If I can find out they're built in ID may be I cqn negociate the freight charge.

The second charge is the "set up fee" ($1200) Salesman said this cover prep, walk around and inspecting TT. Really!! $1200

I'm looking forward to read your feedback

Any suggestions you may have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
I doubt if they have $200 in prep fees based on what I see they do.

I'd offer them $1 on that FEE. Just another way to get into your wallet.

I agree, minimum of 30% off MSRP.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote