Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #1

How to secure door latch??

I am a new TT owner and fairly competent on home repair. I am not sure on TT issues. I have a new 2020 28BHS, took it out for maiden voyage this past week. Had trouble with the small latch that attaches to screen door to the main door and disengages the latch on the screen door. So the screen door and main door are a single unit. Latch came from Jayco with screws "silicone" in wallowed out hole. Gave way quickly. Any suggestions on how to make a fix that lasts. I prefer not taking TT in just to repair this.
Thanks in advance.
I will attach a photo
Mike_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:11 AM   #2

Photo of latch. Rotate 90 degrees clockwise
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2524.jpg  
Mike_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 08:47 AM   #3

Consider filling the hole with JB Weld, putting in screws before it sets up and letting it set up overnight. Caution, put blue painters tape over the hole area as the JB Weld has to be pushed in with your thumb to fill the hole. Take off the tape and put in the screws BEFORE it sets up and adjust your latch. You only have a short time (2 to 5) minutes.

Caution, don't leave any on the surface or it will adhere the latch to the metal and you won't get it off if you need to.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #4

I just had the exact same problem with my new 32KBS. I replaced the screws with larger ones. I had to buy some license plate screws to mount my plate and noticed the two extra screws would be about right to fix the door latch.

I like the JB Weld idea that RogerR posted. If I have any more problems with it, I will try that.
finalcountdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #5

A better trick I learned from an old carpenter (my grandfather) is to use carpenter glue and round toothpicks. Fill the hole with glue and then insert the toothpicks to pack tightly. Wipe excess and let set up. cut the excess with razor blade.

Now, mount the latch with screws, carefully, by hand...no power driver. Those threads will not only hold better than the original ones, the screw won't be permanently glued into the JB. I've been fixing kitchen cabinet door hinges for over 50 years with this trick and never once had a problem.

Why this works. The material inside the door is at best similar to balsa. The toothpicks are made from hardwoods. A Faster, better, cheaper solution.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 11:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
A better trick I learned from an old carpenter (my grandfather) is to use carpenter glue and round toothpicks. Fill the hole with glue and then insert the toothpicks to pack tightly. Wipe excess and let set up. cut the excess with razor blade.

Now, mount the latch with screws, carefully, by hand...no power driver. Those threads will not only hold better than the original ones, the screw won't be permanently glued into the JB. I've been fixing kitchen cabinet door hinges for over 50 years with this trick and never once had a problem.

Why this works. The material inside the door is at best similar to balsa. The toothpicks are made from hardwoods. A Faster, better, cheaper solution.
I have used this method on numerous occasions. Works great most of the time and sounds like a workable solution here as well...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 12:10 PM   #7

If it is a foam core door then the wood plug and glue will not have anything to set to like a wood or pressed wood door. If it just metal and foam the JB weld will adhere to the inside of the metal hopefully enough to make a permanent fix. Try wood first and if it doesn't work go on to JB Weld.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch, screws