Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2020, 05:53 AM   #21

I use regular car wash soap in a bucket of water and a car wash brush, slowly roll it out a foot or so at a time, using the edge of the roller as a solid backing to brush. Once it is fully extended, I kept rolling it “out”, allowing it to wind itself back in, however exposing the bottom surface on the roller, used the brush the same, about every foot or so, I was able to wash the entire awning, top and bottom quite easily. After I finished with the brush, I just rinsed it all off, let it dry, and then rolled it up and put it away.

It came out really good, no harsh chemicals, no high pressure.

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #22

Also remember to open your awning after a rain storm. Rain water will get inside a rolled up awning and that can also cause mildew if it isn't dried out. Speaking from experience....
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #23

Cleaning Awning

Magic Eraser comes in a wide "mop" version with a long handled holder. Works wonderfully, removes black streaks, leaf stains, rolled up bugs with not too much scrubbing.
Mzellers5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:37 PM   #24

I use Wet & Forget.
https://www.wetandforget.com/wet-and...ncentrate.html

You can buy it at most hardware stores and home improvement centers.
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/c...74-c-19342.htm
Old 04-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #25

I use the Camco cleaner but I wet the awning down first. Then as the dealer told me, spray it with the cleaner and roll it up for 15 minutes. Open it up again and it cleans great.
nfd181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #26

One thing that I found that works great is Simple Green. It not only is the BEST at taking off those black streaks, but it also takes off these mildew black specks on the underneath of the awning. It is also non-toxic, so as I'm underneath looking up, it doesn't burn the eyes like bleach or other chemical cleaners. Its even better if I use some Dawn with it.....mighty powerful punch. I use a garden sprayer to spray it on, roll it up to let it sit for a few minutes, do some light scrubbing and spray it off. Then let it sit and dry.
Hnyctfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:58 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls72 View Post
I use Wet & Forget.
https://www.wetandforget.com/wet-and...ncentrate.html

You can buy it at most hardware stores and home improvement centers.
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/c...74-c-19342.htm
I use Wet and Forget on the house and 30 second outdoor cleaner and a soft brush for the awning...Great results with both. Exterior of the Greyhawk will get Wet and Forget when it warms up here.
Groveite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #28

I use the ol plastic eaves through section on my aweningn during the winter. When spring comes the awning is as clean and dry as it was in the fall when I did the cleaning.
Bob The Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 01:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbeers View Post
I do exactly the same unless it has mold or mildew on it then I add a small amount of bleach, apply solution, roll it up, let stand for a bit, unroll and clean off bleach solution.
That is exactly the directions I received from my awning installer.
Love711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #30

I tired a number of traditional soap solutions to remove mold from the underside of my awning - nothing worked very well until I went to the RV supply store and bought a bottle of awning wash - amazing clean up with little effort

2019 Jayco 317RLOK
2015 F-350, 6.7L, SRW, Bilstein Rear Shocks
Chesterfield, Missouri

billgburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 03:14 PM   #31
DGW

Cleaning your awning

Lowe's sells this stuff called 30 Second Outdoor Cleaner. It is wonderful on awnings - spray it on, let it sit for a couple mins then rinse it off.
DGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 04:49 PM   #32

When we bought our 2005 Class C, the awning was rolled up and looked to be in good shape. The first time I opened it up at the beach, it seems that some thing like leafs or pine needles at accumulated on top of the rolled up awning and had stained the fabric. On top out of sight.
When I unrolled it, it had evenly spaced black lines on it from the stain of the debris that had rotted up there.
I used a solution of water and bleach, and a spray bottle. I sprayed it then allowed it to sit for a while then scrubbed it with the long handle brush we use to wash it. It took a lot of scrubbing but it came out very nicely.
I had been pricing a new awning before I decided to try to clean it myself.
I too should have wore a jacket and a floppy hat. Enough said about that.
1SGPETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 PM   #33

I use Murphy oil soap, dish soap and a little Oxy clean. Brush on let sit for a few minutes and rinse off.
cheezmac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #34

Mr. CLEAN Magic Eraser. No chemicals. Works like magic. Used the mop head version for easier reach.
Bdette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #35

Used a CLR mildew remover today, sprayed on and rolled up like normal, but then used a steam cleaner to hit the areas that didn't come clean from just the cleaner. The white parts are back to new. Has anyone sprayed anything on their awning like a fabric guard to prevent mold growth?
Attached Thumbnails
20200408_111749.jpg  
Stevek10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #36
Site Team

We also use a few Magic Erasers. Our awning is white, so dirt and mold spots really show. I'll spray and wipe it down with 303 Protectant afterwards. I don't know if it helps, but it makes me feel better!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #37

I use a 1part bleach to 3 or 4 part water in a pump sprayer. Spray the top surface thoroughly roll it up for a hour or two roll it out and hose it off. Works for me
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:11 AM   #38

I use the Camco RV awning cleaner. I used to apply it and scrub it off with a sponge, but last time I tried the 'put it on and roll it up for a couple of hours' trick, and it came out even cleaner than when I did it by hand.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote