Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #1

Howdy from Texas....hoping to buy our new TT this weekend

Title says it all…..

Wife and I have been to a couple of RV shows and did some tire kicking on the local dealerships. We have 3 tater tots under 10 so we are excited about possibly buying one. This will definitely be an upgrade from our use of tents and pop ups in the past. I thought buying a house was tough…good grief at the make/models/options/features out there!!! I guess I just want to “buy right the first time”….Is that possible???

I have already experienced my first hiccup as we look. Last year I bought a new truck and the thought of towing a trailer was the least of my concerns as my old truck died at the dealership when I pulled in to look at a new truck!!! Ha!! I scored on a brand new 2013 F150 SCREW 4x4 LARIAT cheaper than the 2014 XLT I went to buy!!!

Actual Weight with full tank of gas: 6120#
5.0 engine with 3.55 rear end
Payload – 1321#
GCWR – 13,500#
Towing Capacity – 7700#

A few features we really like are the seperate entrance to the bathroom. With our kids, i would think that cuts down on the foot traffic and dirtying up the unit. We like the double over double bunks. We have nephews/nieces that could tag along and our tots have plenty of friends that we wouldn't mind taking with us. Outside kitches are nice, but not a must. Most of all it must function, it that makes sense
Now for our options…
1 – Jayco Eagle 284bh – This was the trailer we went to buy until we found out they sit on the lot at over 7000#!!!....scratch that one off. Very nice trailer though. Pretty much everything we wanted, but again...too heavy for me.

2 – Jay Flight 28BHBE – Very nice bunkhouse with a lot of options. Nice size shower in the back. But it does concern me a little weighing a ready to tow 6600#.

3 – Jay Flight SLX 287BHSW – same exact floorplan to the BHBE but weighs about 6000# ready to tow (GVWR 7500#). Still digging the larger shower. It has the curtain, no door. But, if a curtain gets dingy..take it out and hang a new one! Doors could get to be a pain to clean. Fewer storage options, but way more than what we have been used to..

4 – White Hawk 28DSBH - looks to be a very nice trailer with a tub/shower combo. I definitely like the fiberglass option to the aluminum look. I think it looks sharp, but wouldn’t turn down the aluminum siding at the same time. Also, with this trailer sitting on the lot at just over 6050# (GVWR 7500#), i think i shouldnt' have any trouble with it

5 – There is the Bullet Premier we like but seem to be headed towards the Jayco. Local dealer in town is a Jayco place.

Of these 3 we are looking at, I have just a few questions and hope you guys can steer me right…

1) Trailer Weight ---- am I driving myself crazy worried about this? I know I don’t want to overload the truck and upgrading my truck is not really an option at this time. I was thinking a max trailer weight of 6500 or less would be ideal. But with a GCWR of 13,500 and truck weighing 6120 that leaves me with 7380# for trailer, gear and us!!. Since we live in East Texas most of our travel should be local (lake, deer camp, etc), but we do make trips to the Ozarks in Northern Arkansas. We know that with the trailer, we will eventually venture out…definitely not out west. I know for certain I’m not towing a trailer to the Rocky Mountains.
Upgrading the truck is not really an option at this time....its a daily driver for me and want to stay in that half-ton

2) Shower vs Tub – how many of you actually use the shower/tub in your trailer? I’m 6’3” and hate the fact that some of these units my head sticks up through the skylight. I realize that I won’t be in there 5 minute tops, but it can be tricky. Most of the places we go have bath houses, but it would be nice to use the shower if at the deer camp where we don’t have a shower. Wife and kids are short so it’s not an issue for them.

3) The SLX air conditioners – any way to upgrade those to a unit with a thermostat? If any of you have..what did it cost? That particular unit is like the ones in the pop ups. Turn it on and it will run and run till you turn it off. Kinda like the idea of a thermostat.

Sorry for the long thread!!! Cant wait to get into whatever we buy!!! Thanks in advance for replies!!!

Spud!
spud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Others will chime in, and you'll get a lot of information here.

IMHO, all those trailers are too heavy for your truck. I tow the 28BHBE with my '12 Sierra with HD tow and it's too heavy for my truck. Okay, right at the limit, which is to say, it's too heavy. I'm in the market for a new truck next fall, and it's adequate for now, but the upgrade is imminent.

If I were you, I would look at the GVWR on any trailer you're looking at. Yes, it's true you'll probably never have it loaded up that full, but at least that way you have some wiggle room. For reference, my 28BHBE scaled out at about 7500 lbs when I weighed it last year. Since then more has been added, so I'm guessing I'm closer to 8K now.

Also, take your truck with full fuel and all the kiddos and whatever else you plan to take with you and weigh it at a CAT scale. Compare that to the GVWR sticker on your door pillar and this will give you real numbers to deal with, and it will tell you exactly what you have left for tongue weight. Figure 15% of loaded trailer weight on the tongue, and if that number is less than your CAT figured results, that will get you close.

But again, I tow at my limits and it's not nearly as fun as RVing should be for me. Can I do it safely? You bet. Is it a "relaxing" experience? No, not really.

Edit: Forgot to mention: Don't take that "towing capacity" number to mean anything. You will run out of payload capacity LONG before you'll ever hit that "max towing capacity". I'm slightly over my payload, and nowhere near my "max towing capacity". So it's better to just forget that number and stay focused on payload capacity using your TV's GVWR and your Rear Axle capacities.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:16 PM   #3

I think I would limit your options to the trailers with a GVWR of 7500 max if I were you.

Personally I think a trailer longer than about 25 feet is too long for a half ton, but others pull them often with WDH and sway control.

Also, the outdoor kitchens add weight, people either love them or hate them. Myself, like you was a former tent camper, and I have all the outdoor camp kitchen tools to enjoy cooking my way already, so the outdoor kitchen is a novelty item to me. I prefer my own stuff.

Good luck in your search, just don't bite off more than you can chew (or tow), and don't trust the dealer when he says "you'll never know its behind you"

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #4

There is another model worth looking at, The Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW, my trailer is similar and offers many of the features you are looking for, including the double over double bunks.... Just FYI

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 PM   #5

Welcome to the forum. The previous posters nailed your questions....
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #6

Heres to hoping you find what you want this weekend. Be sure to post pictures.
xtruckerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #7

Last year I had the same truck you described pulling a white hawk 28bhds. For pulling to our local campgrounds was no problem but on long distance trips going over hills was a challenge for the truck. I will say though this bunk house model is very nice and would be perfect fit for your family. Good luck on your selection and welcome to the forum.
jayfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

Looking at the same trailers on line , 2014 F150 XLT Screw with 5.0 , no dealers close by so I am hoping there will be some at the show in Dallas in a few weeks. Also looking at some Keystone products(no haters please LOL). Where are you in East Texas? I'm in Texarkana. Good luck .
Bobj616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobj616 View Post
Looking at the same trailers on line , 2014 F150 XLT Screw with 5.0 , no dealers close by so I am hoping there will be some at the show in Dallas in a few weeks. Also looking at some Keystone products(no haters please LOL). Where are you in East Texas? I'm in Texarkana. Good luck .
Longview

Hard to find a lightweight Bunkhouse with a rear entry door.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #10

Lots of info going back and forth... I'll just say welcome to the forum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #11
Site Team

Welcome, I am a fifth wheel man so I will just read and look forward to hearing how you like what you end up buying. Sounds like the truck may limit what you can drag.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:58 AM   #12

Welcome to the forum Spud!
I say this frequently: The CAT Scale is your friend.
Gas up the truck, load the entire tribe and hit the scale. The actual axle weights vs. the GAWR will let you know how much weight you can put on the truck.
For our F350:

Yellow sticker:
Front GAWR 5000#
Rear GAWR 6730#

From the CAT Scale:
Front Axle 4580#
Rear Axle 3360#

So I can add 3370# to the rear axle before overloading. Let's say I pick a TT that has GVWR of 9000#. Loaded to the max (assuming worst case) I would expect the tongue weight to be around 1350# (15%).

The CAT Scale is your friend.

Not sure where in our great state you are but, the Houston RV show starts today.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:39 PM   #13

Hi from a fellow newbie. We just placed an order for a Jay Flight 28BHBE. I need to warn you I have researched till I'm blue in the face and am worried I'm flirting with the line weight and payload wise and we are towing with a Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4 HD tow package. Tow capacity on our truck is 10,500 and I believe our payload is a decent chuck higher than yours as well. So I'd really look at the numbers because if I'm pushing it from all I hear at the rates on our truck I think you might really be pushing it. Best of luck I know it is confusing.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommieMara View Post
Hi from a fellow newbie. We just placed an order for a Jay Flight 28BHBE. I need to warn you I have researched till I'm blue in the face and am worried I'm flirting with the line weight and payload wise and we are towing with a Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4 HD tow package. Tow capacity on our truck is 10,500 and I believe our payload is a decent chuck higher than yours as well. So I'd really look at the numbers because if I'm pushing it from all I hear at the rates on our truck I think you might really be pushing it. Best of luck I know it is confusing.
I believe you will exceed the Rear GAWR before you reach "tow capacity".
A visit to the CAT Scale will tell you what weight is on the axles and you can estimate what the tongue weight will be.
The Yellow sticker will tell you GAWR front and rear. The CAT Scale will tell you what the axles weigh. Estimate the tongue weight by adding 800-1000# to the dry TT weight and multiply by 0.15 (15%).
If the Rear GAWR is less than the Rear Axle weight plus the estimated tongue weight then you stand a good chance of being overloaded.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 04:44 PM   #15

I'm impressed with the responses so far cautioning against too heavy and too long. So far no one is suggesting you can haul way more. It's like real life. There's a lot you can do. The important question is: Should you?
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 07:30 AM   #16

Another thing to keep in mind while TT shopping, you will add alot of weight to the TT when you load up for camping. Pots, pans, bbq, food, beverages, tools, wheel chocks, sewer hoses, water hoses, bedsheets, pillows, blankets, etc. All add weight. I have 4 kids and love a seperate door for the bathroom. I have used our tub a few times, for our youngest, after a hard day playing in the outdoors.
If you really want the TT with a seperate door for the bathroom I think you may need to upgrade the TV to a 3/4 ton.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I believe you will exceed the Rear GAWR before you reach "tow capacity".
A visit to the CAT Scale will tell you what weight is on the axles and you can estimate what the tongue weight will be.
The Yellow sticker will tell you GAWR front and rear. The CAT Scale will tell you what the axles weigh. Estimate the tongue weight by adding 800-1000# to the dry TT weight and multiply by 0.15 (15%).
If the Rear GAWR is less than the Rear Axle weight plus the estimated tongue weight then you stand a good chance of being overloaded.
+1 This. This right here.

I'm at or slightly above my GVWR on my truck with trailer loaded out for an average trip, but still have some room on the GAWR on the rear axle. My front axle is right about where it is unloaded thanks to WDH.

I always thought it was a bit strange that you can take the GAWR for front and rear and add them together, this number greatly exceeds GVWR for my truck. For mine per the sticker: GAWR FRT = 3650, GAWR RR = 3950, GVWR = 6800. GAWRs added = 7600 > 6800 GVWR.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:02 PM   #18

Welcome to the forum

Yes the CAT scale is your friend.

Payload figure on your truck seems to be pretty low.

My White Hawk weighs about 6800# fully loaded, with between 900 and 1000# on the tongue. So I am at or about 100# over my GVWR. I am under my GRAWR by about 300#. My total combined actual CAT scale weight is 12800# and GCVWR is 16000#

I would think that you should max out with about 6000# total trailer weight, which would put you in the 6500 GVWR for a trailer.

Check the towing section of the forum for a lot of great information.
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
+1 This. This right here.

I'm at or slightly above my GVWR on my truck with trailer loaded out for an average trip, but still have some room on the GAWR on the rear axle. My front axle is right about where it is unloaded thanks to WDH.

I always thought it was a bit strange that you can take the GAWR for front and rear and add them together, this number greatly exceeds GVWR for my truck. For mine per the sticker: GAWR FRT = 3650, GAWR RR = 3950, GVWR = 6800. GAWRs added = 7600 > 6800 GVWR.
With our Tundra is sounds like we will be at the line but ok Looking it up frt GAWR for us is 4000 RR is 4150 and GVWR of 7200. We will be pulling the same rig you do. The limits on our Tundra though are a good chunk higher than what the OP quoted for their truck. So if we are flirting with the line I'm guessing they will be over. I'll know more for us once our new camper comes in and we can hit a scale.
MommieMara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:41 PM   #20

Ok...so let me take a stab at this...may be a complete swing and miss on my part.

If payload is the most critical number why so much weighing front and rear axle.
So I weighed at a local scrap yard scale that is certified by state. I did this last week or so and the truck empty with a full tank was 6120#. I did this actually before joining the forum or I would have had them axle weigh it. Yes it is not a CAT scale but I wasn't driving 40 miles since our local one is temp shut down.

Ok so we have a truck sitting at 6120 with a GVWR of 7350 (per yellow tag). Yellow tag also says cargo not to exceed 1321#. Is the cargo not payload?

OK so here goes...
If 7350 GVWR minus actual weight of 6120 equals 1230...isnt this my actual payload?

1230# minus my family's weight and I'm estimating to be 600# (family of 5 and is probably gonna be close enough for this scenario) that leaves me with 630#. A hitch I found out today weighs 103 pounds per the manufacturer. So now I'm down to 527.

527 divided by .15 (optimal hitch weight) is 3513......you mean to tell me that an f150 is only capable of towing a loaded trailer of 3513#.

If I did this right.....then I would think a vast majority of half tons is considered overweight

still scratching my head.

If true....
1- I can't even tow the pop up o was thinking bout buying
2- I should have just bought a Taurus. (Joke)
3- need to go camping by myself (never think of leaving my tater tots)

On another note.....put a deposit down on a trailer only to find I was buying a trailer that didn't exist!!!!!!!. Back at it in the morn. Talked about ticked off. Another dealership had the same trailer that I could have been picking up tomorrow