Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #1

Hummingbird 16FD options

The wife and I are ordering a 2017 16FD Hummingbird for delivery in the spring. Being new to travel trailers, we're unsure which options to include. The plan right now is to do a large amount of travel next summer, then consign or trade in the Hummingbird at the end of the season.

What options are "must-have", or will make resale easier on the back end? Any feedback is appreciated.

Here are the options, as listed on the Jayco website:

Canadian Standards

Customer Value Package
Aluminum Wheels, Solar Prep, Self- Adjusting Electric Brakes, 4 Stabilizer Jacks, 6 Gallon Gas/Electric DSI Water Heater, Folding Assist Handle, Black Tank Flush, Outside Shower, 3CF 2-Way Norcold Refrigerator, 18K BTU Furnace, AM/FM/CD/DVD/Bluetooth Stereo, Convection Microwave, Power Awning w/LED Light.

24" LED TV

Low-Profile 13.5 BTU A/C

Baja Package

Enclosed Underbelly with Astro Foil Insulation

Electric Tongue Jack

Spare Tire

2-Bike Carrier Rack (A-Frame Mounted)

Exterior Grill
smytty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:41 PM   #2

For resale to a dealer, probably none of the options will really help improve saleability or increase the value. I would order it with whatever options that fit your needs.

Have fun on your long summer trip.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:48 PM   #3

Why buy new just to get rid of at the end of the season. I would buy used and let someone else take the big depreciation hit. RV are worse than cars for losing value.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:04 PM   #4

This specific model (16FD) is new this season, and hasn't even arrived at dealers yet. I could go for a nearly identical 2013-2014 R-Pod, but due to the popularity of these small RVs, the savings on gently used models aren't dramatically far off of new (MSRP -30%) prices.

I'm happy to pay a reasonable premium to have a warranty, and be the 1st owner.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #5

Sounds like you have thought it through.

Personally I would reach a different conclusion. For starters I will never own the first model year of something, history has shown they are prone to bugs that need to be worked out in the mfg process. RVs already have a questionable enough mfg process.

Your right, late model used from a dealer isn't usually a great deal. They artificially keep them high, don't frequently sell them, in order to establish more value for the new units. Private party used is the deal, typically those seller have already been offered the insultingly low trade in offer, and sell for much less. I bought my second unit this way and purchased a 2 model year old unit for 55% off MSRP. However you have to be patient to find exactly what you want.

Since you want something very specific, new very well might be your best option. As for options, I don't think matters a whole lot. Get what you want.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:58 PM   #6

Thanks for the feedback. The consensus seems to be that options won't make or break resale.

As far as buying used, I'm definitely not opposed to it - I just don't think that it's likely that the stars will align to make it feasible. Before I pull the trigger in Nov/Dec on a new model from the factory, I'll take a good look at what's available second hand. If something suitable is available close to home, at a significant discount, I'll jump on it.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:35 AM   #7

Spare tire for Hummingbird?

I just took delivery of a 2017 17RK without the spare tire option and was wondering if anyone can tell me what spare tire rack I should get or what it comes with if you get that option? Thanks
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 AM   #8

On my order sheet from Jayco the Customer Value Package and AC unit were automatically checked as included in the price of every trailer.

I guess you could custom order one without those standard factory options, but I sure wouldn't.

Since we're planning to keep ours for the long run, we ordered every additional option available, the total upcharge was $1,670 (this included the Baja option).

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 07:50 PM   #9

I might be wrong but I think all Hummingbirds that are sold thru the dealers in Canada all comes with the Canadian Standard options. Therefore prices higher than the Hummingirds in the US. I got everything listed except for the bike rack. Any other Canadian owners out there can confirm this?

2017 Hummingbird 17RK (Sold)
2017 Jay Feather 23RSLW Sold)
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS

2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE (Sold)
2017 Chev Silverado 3500HD Duramax
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:42 PM   #10

We purchased a Hummingbird last fall in Canada and all 3 Hummingbirds on the dealer lot had the Canadian Standards options.
North55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smytty View Post
Thanks for the feedback. The consensus seems to be that options won't make or break resale.

As far as buying used, I'm definitely not opposed to it - If something suitable is available close to home, at a significant discount, I'll jump on it.
Your key words " at a significant discount " if you buy used tells you something right there. When it's your turn to sell it you can expect the same. Buying used has the advantage of lower price but the big one might be the time lost going back and forth to the dealer for warranty items when you're trying to enjoy yourself traveling.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #12

We have the 17RK. If you are not 100% on model I would check it out. The slide makes a huge difference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
paulandkaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Yugo View Post
I might be wrong but I think all Hummingbirds that are sold thru the dealers in Canada all comes with the Canadian Standard options. Therefore prices higher than the Hummingirds in the US. I got everything listed except for the bike rack. Any other Canadian owners out there can confirm this?
Hi;
I am new to the forum and just purchased a 2017 Hummingbird RB. We purchased all the options and final sales price was $ 25,399.11 (no trade-in). Hope this helps.....
NDEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote