Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #1

Hummingbird awning

Is it typical for the awning to shrink and pull away? Any fixes?
Attached Thumbnails
20210821_132653.jpg  
sirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 12:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirs View Post
Is it typical for the awning to shrink and pull away? Any fixes?
Welcome from Northern California! I just went out and looked a mine, I don’t believe your’s has shrunk. At the rear mine is about 6 inch’s from the end of the retainer and about 4 inch’s at the front. As far as a fix, I would carefully open the retainer ( pry it open a little wider ) and push it back in the groove. I would use a pop cycle stick ( something that’s not sharp ) to push it back in the slot, then close the gap with pliers. If I was to guess I think the wind was probably the cause of this problem. Will you end up replacing the top——— more than likely. Good luck.
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #3

The awning was held in place by the screw an inch to the left (the same on the opposite end) and I don't believe I could get it near to that screw again
Old 08-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #4

I'm not sure there will be an easy fix. You might get lucky and push it back in the slot, but I wouldn't count on it. You might have to pull the awning off and rethread it into the slot. For this I would go to Youtube for a few videos. The rusty screw in your photo is supposed to go through the awning material and keep it from sliding or moving. There should be another screw on the other end for the same purpose.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Also check Facebook, there is a good Hummingbird owners page.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:25 PM   #5

Sounds like you need an extra set of hands to pull it as tight as you can get it and then put a new screw in it. I just read Jim Davis reply——- good advice!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #6

Thanks Jim, I agree. It still works fine so I think I'll just leave it alone before I find or create more fixes. I was working on another problem because of jaycos wonderful craftsmanship and integrity when I saw this. I may try to put another screw in where the end of the tarp is currently.
Old 08-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #7

Agree...thanks
Old 08-21-2021, 01:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirs View Post
Thanks Jim, I agree. It still works fine so I think I'll just leave it alone before I find or create more fixes. I was working on another problem because of jaycos wonderful craftsmanship and integrity when I saw this. I may try to put another screw in where the end of the tarp is currently.

Yes. At least hold things together. Check the other end.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 05:13 PM   #9

I bet the awning cover was not centered at the wall and the power roller has been rolling it out crooked and tore it. If the screw is not there, it will never stay in position.