Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-05-2020, 08:58 PM   #1

HWH crapped out - only our third season !

Has anyone else run into this ? After a couple days of using (28BHS) our HWH, the 30 amp service fuse breaker blew a couple times. Coincidental with breakfast, and the use of A/C, toaster, and a hair dryer from hell. Understandable, eh ? The next day, I figured I'd switch to propane for the HWH. All seemed to be OK. The next day, no hot water. Checked the unit, and the red lead into the circuit board there has a real nice swell/burst/melty spot (I know, very technical) and the connecting boot is all brown and toasty.

I'll take it in tomorrow....has anyone else seen this ? Was it caused by my heinous misuse of the equipment ? Shouldn't I be able to switch between propane and electrical hot water at will, whenever the hell I want to ? Will the dealer fix this for free ? Yes, I am smoking !

saunterr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
Site Team

If this is the part that failed, it may have been due to heat, a surge, or perhaps something else, but we carry spares for just that reason. They're a safety device.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 10:10 PM   #3

Nothing in your post screams misuse. Hot wire/insulation melting is a 99% high current problem. The heating element coil is the only amperage eating part of the heater. It may have gone bad as a coincidental event. How old, how many hours of use, do you clean your heater out, have you ever pulled an element and inspected it for corrosion.... You get the picture. Your dealer may also play 20 questions with you as well.

I suppose it's possible that the board went haywire and fried stuff, there are plenty of posts here about people having a board failure that turned a good time into a bad one, but I haven't seen any reports of a board fail melting insulation.

Have you tried electric heating of water after the discovery? How'd that go?

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:54 AM   #4

neither method of heating is working...
saunterr44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 08:33 AM   #5

The control boards they provide these days are junk.
sirrealone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:47 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Carlosrod Send a message via MSN to Carlosrod Send a message via Yahoo to Carlosrod
Totally agreed. They are junk.
I was at a campground for the 4th of July weekend and after hook up the HWH wouldn't fire up. Campground owner and mechanic looked at it and said that Jayco is using a circuit board made in Korea and there is a recall on them. They seem to go out after 2/3 years. Anyway, purchased a new board, installed myself and $225.00 later I'm in hot water again.

Gotta Love Jayco!!

I don't have a PhD, but my DD-214 is worth much more.

Live, so that when your children hear the words “Ethics,” “Integrity,” “Honor” or “Trust,” they think of You!
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

Is this the "melty" component? They are a thermal fuse and designed to "open" if they get too hot. I carry a spare so I can replace it while camping.
Attached Images

Toads: 2019 Ford Edge ST or 2013 Ford Focus ST
Robbbyr is offline   Reply With Quote