Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-11-2020, 09:48 AM   #1

I admit defeat!

First of all I am not complaining, just explaining. I always use the GEO method on my tanks and keep them very clean. The gauges now are a different story. I took it personal that they would not give an accurate reading and I vowed to correct them. I drained both black and gray tanks and flushed the black tank until it ran clear. Black tank gauge showed 1/3 full and gray showed 1/2. So-- I poured in two cups of Calgon water softener and two cups of laundry detergent in each tank and filled them both completely full of water and let them soak for a few days. Today I drained both tanks which ran clear water but then I ran the blackwater flush for about twenty minutes, still clear water. The results? Black tank shows 1/2 full and gray shows 3/4 full. I have been defeated again! It is what it is. I know when the commode burps the first time the black
tank is getting full. When water won't drain out of the kitchen sink, the gray tank is full. The rest is just fun and games.
Old 06-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #2

Amazingly, the tank readings on my 2016 JayFlight are still nearly dead on accurate. I know I probably just jinxed myself but other than a few broken ground wires, I've had no issues...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:58 AM   #3

Not much will work for those gauges. Big issues, is they have a "pin" that extends into the tank. In the black tank, TP hangs on the sensors, and the moisture tricks the sensor in thinking tank is filled to that level. In the Grey tank, I think grease builds up on the sensor and the results are the same.

I found 5 gallons of water, some water softener, and then driving to allow the water to slosh around works the best to clean them.

Long term, if you really want reliability, the sensors need to be changed out to something like SeaLevel.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:21 AM   #4

I've had good success getting the gauge in the black tank working properly using a black tank wand to clean off stuck TP.

Black Tank Wand
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
First of all I am not complaining, just explaining. I always use the GEO method on my tanks and keep them very clean. The gauges now are a different story. I took it personal that they would not give an accurate reading and I vowed to correct them. I drained both black and gray tanks and flushed the black tank until it ran clear. Black tank gauge showed 1/3 full and gray showed 1/2. So-- I poured in two cups of Calgon water softener and two cups of laundry detergent in each tank and filled them both completely full of water and let them soak for a few days. Today I drained both tanks which ran clear water but then I ran the blackwater flush for about twenty minutes, still clear water. The results? Black tank shows 1/2 full and gray shows 3/4 full. I have been defeated again! It is what it is. I know when the commode burps the first time the black
tank is getting full. When water won't drain out of the kitchen sink, the gray tank is full. The rest is just fun and games.
I use the GEO method as well. Recheck the tank levels in a day or 2 giving it time to dry out so to speak. Mine frequently reads 1/3 after flushing/cleaning but after a few days it shows empty. Never had an issue with my gray tank sensors.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #6

OP has WAY too much time on his hands! ��
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Team

I don't even care what they read, I gave up on those many years ago.

If you want accurate sensors, consider a SeeLevel system.

https://www.garnetinstruments.com/rv-shop/
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
OP has WAY too much time on his hands! ��
Yep, retired, had a trip planned for out West and back, carefully planned out with reservations and everything. Main event was a 53 year high school reunion that got cancelled along with every reservation. all my ropings have been cancelled and I have nothing to do but stay on the farm and mess things up!
Old 06-11-2020, 10:17 PM   #9

fill them with 1/3 crushed ice and 1/3 water, then take it out and drive it like you stole it.. then drain... your welcome....
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:38 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinforthefinish View Post
Our black tank gets a wand flush after every trip, and still reads normally. For the first time, this season the gray tank reads 1/3 for a couple of days after draining, then empty. I'm going to give Tank Blaster a try, and see if it's as good as it claims to be.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:47 AM   #11

My 2016 tanks are still dead on accurate... I'm at a seasonal site since new so I don't use any sloshing methods. But after I dump the black, I always refill it via the BT flush, then dump again. I always prime the tank after dumping with 2 full toilet bowls of water and a dissolve treatment pack. I never dump until its 100% full,

My grey tank is left open all season (may-oct).. It always reads empty as it should.. A couple times over the season, I'll close and fill with warm/hot water and a degreaser, let it sit for a while then dump.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:54 AM   #12

so far - so good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
Amazingly, the tank readings on my 2016 JayFlight are still nearly dead on accurate. I know I probably just jinxed myself but other than a few broken ground wires, I've had no issues...
x2

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #13

I always wonder when to add the tank treatment. I noticed when I dump the black, the clear elbow shows me that blue color followed by a lot of, well, not blue water. So my assumption was if I put the treatment in early, it ends up settling by the dump valve and in the pipe, not the actual tank. I’ve since started adding the treatment after a day or so of use.

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jopopsy View Post
I always wonder when to add the tank treatment. I noticed when I dump the black, the clear elbow shows me that blue color followed by a lot of, well, not blue water. .
Ha... are you reading my mind again? I wondered the same thing, when people say they put a gallon or two of water in the tank, along with the treatment. That just settles down by the dump valve, and really doesn't do much to clean the tank or sensors.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #15
Site Team

Start with a 5 gallon bucket of water, then add the expensive chemicals.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 01:18 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Start with a 5 gallon bucket of water, then add the expensive chemicals.
Plus you need the water to help ensure you don't create a 'poo pyramid' on the bottom of the black tank.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:13 PM   #17

As the late Paul Harvey would say "Here is the rest of the story". After sitting still for two days of non-use in 90 degree weather my gauges dried out and both now read empty. I am now a winner!
Old 06-14-2020, 12:52 PM   #18

Wish I could say the same thing. Our 2017 Greyhawk show Full, even though I emptied, open and closed, flushing the gray water in between. I turned on the Sanitize setting with a hose connected and within just a couple of minutes, I started getting overflow like I had overfilled the fresh water tank (don't ask how I know what *that* looks like!)

Turned off the water, opened the black valve, went to look at shows full. Left it open for an hour, same result.

We had a similar full problem last month and we used some Blue chem something or other and it seemed to clear it out. Small white bottle, maybe 8oz and blue liquid like the toilets on an airplane. Not sure what brand it was as the wife picked it up at a camp store.

Will need to use a hose from the house into the toilet I suppose when we get home... not fun.

Oh and another oddity. My freshwater showed E so I turned on the spigot with City Fill and again within just few minutes, there was water over flowing from under the water valve connections and controls. No way it was full and of course the meter says 1/3.
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #19

Tank sensors have been an issue in RVing for the 40 plus years and 8 RVs I've owned. This current Jayco rig seems to be the worst though. You would think something this simple could be corrected over 40 years, but it's all about the pennies!
GerryB54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
I've had good success getting the gauge in the black tank working properly using a black tank wand to clean off stuck TP.

Black Tank Wand
Yes, using a wand is the key to success. Squirt some Dawn down the toilet first then use the wand for about 10 minutes.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote