Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-11-2021, 01:11 PM   #61

Check bathroom. It appears to be first inline
Jeffp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #62

sorry, by bathroom,UTILITY CONVERTER. IT APPEARS TO BE FIRST
Jeffp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:51 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper111 View Post
First thing to do is take a voltage check at the terminal of the breaker marked utility, if you have non then the breaker is bad. I would then proceed to the first receptacle in the circuit and open it up and check the wiring inside, RVs use push down connections and in my personal opinion they are a waste of time and money but we have to live with them. make sure you turn the power off before removing the receptacle because if the connection has failed movement may cause arcing and it is not a pretty thing up close and personal.
I'm assuming the first outlet is on the bottom right in the picture, I'm having issues with the non gfi outlets. I took it apart, turned all power back on, and NO POWER AT WIRE. UGH

I did run to the hardware store and buy a house receptacle set-up in case I saw an issue when I opened it up.

I also checked the outlet that I believe is the last in the circuit, top right, 2nd one in. It only has 1 wire bundle. So I'm guessing it's the last outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
20210311_174321.jpg  
Joolz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 07:56 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
It looks like they're on their own run.
I'm just figuring this forum thing out...

Along the bottom, on the inside, across the front (right side) and the top 2 on the left. ALL the NON GFI.

I tested the wires on the bottom left and the 2nd one in on the top right (I assume is the end if circuit, one one wire running to it)....

The outlet on the bottom left has no power to the wires.

I just replaced the converter. It was overheating. I came back after being out of town and even the gfi outlets had quit. I pulled the cover off the breaker box and after I got it cooled down I could get the gfi to stay on long enough to get a fan plugged in and pointed at the converter. So I bought a new one. Lol
Attached Thumbnails
20210311_174321.jpg  
Old 03-11-2021, 08:01 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
I see that all circuits that fail to work are on the "B" breaker. In fact, it appears that all circuits on that breaker are not functioning. It could be a bad breaker. They rarely go bad but it does occasionally happen. You could try swapping the breaker with another circuit to see if the problem moves with it. Of course, unplug you camper before messing with the wires. If the problem moves, replace the faulty breaker.

It might also be a loose wire. Some of these outlets are wired using solid copper wire that pushes into a hole on the back side of the outlet. I've found this kind of connection to be unreliable in the past. You may have a bad connection to the breaker near your dinette.
How can you tell its the "B" breaker?? Thats where I'm lost. Lol. Serious question here. I've been trying to figure out how to read these damn papers!!
Old 03-11-2021, 08:03 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
The picture in your post #15 show you what outlets are on that circuit.
I definitely know nothing about electrical. I'm now learning that circuit is the same as connected lol

Thank you!!!
Old 03-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavie View Post
you MUST check for 120 volts at the first outlet. If not there, none in that circuit will work. If not at that first outlet check the black and white wires for that circuit back at the Electric panel box.
This is where I get lost... how do I figure out which wires or which breaker is for that specific circuit?
Attached Thumbnails
20210311_174321.jpg   16155147811052974366317210802567.jpg  
Old 03-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #68

It would seem to be the long way to get there but to determine which breaker it is you could use a process of elimination. This assumes there is only one circuit that is bad but that seems pretty likely. Start at one end of the breakers and mark down which ones are working; or put a piece of tape on each good one. When there is only one breaker remaining you know it is that circuit.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:40 PM   #69

To figure out which breaker and wire goes where is not that hard. Basically you are starting with someone elses work meaning they ran the wire and labelled the breaker. So, if the breakers aren't labelled correctly you are forced to do the trial and error method as there is no way to trace the wires through the wall easily.

Yes you can get a special tool that sends a signal through the line that you can trace but that would cost extra money. The easiest method is to just plug into shore power with all the breakers turned off and then turn one breaker on at a time and go to every outlet to see if it has power.

You can use a voltmeter, outlet tester, a light, or whatever is quick to test the outlets for power. There aren't that many outlets in an RV so it is not hard to hit them all. Once you know which outlets are on a breaker, you can label the breaker for future reference. You can also make your own chart.

Next, shut down that breaker and go to the next and continue the sequence for all breakers. You will end up with a good wiring diagram for your rig. The bad branch of outlets will then be known and you can ignore everything that works.

With the bad bunch of outlets, most likely the first outlet in the sequence will be the one closest to the breaker panel. This is because they usually will route the wire from the breaker to the first outlet and then add another wire from that outlet to the next and so on.

I can tell you for a fact that once you have identified and repaired the problem, not only will you have a better understanding of the wiring in your rig, but you will have a GREAT feeling of self accomplishment. I speak from experience. Finding and fixing a problem is OH so rewarding. Of course the journey to that point can result in a lot of your hair falling out.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 09:21 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
To figure out which breaker and wire goes where is not that hard. Basically you are starting with someone elses work meaning they ran the wire and labelled the breaker. So, if the breakers aren't labelled correctly you are forced to do the trial and error method as there is no way to trace the wires through the wall easily.

Yes you can get a special tool that sends a signal through the line that you can trace but that would cost extra money. The easiest method is to just plug into shore power with all the breakers turned off and then turn one breaker on at a time and go to every outlet to see if it has power.

You can use a voltmeter, outlet tester, a light, or whatever is quick to test the outlets for power. There aren't that many outlets in an RV so it is not hard to hit them all. Once you know which outlets are on a breaker, you can label the breaker for future reference. You can also make your own chart.

Next, shut down that breaker and go to the next and continue the sequence for all breakers. You will end up with a good wiring diagram for your rig. The bad branch of outlets will then be known and you can ignore everything that works.

With the bad bunch of outlets, most likely the first outlet in the sequence will be the one closest to the breaker panel. This is because they usually will route the wire from the breaker to the first outlet and then add another wire from that outlet to the next and so on.

I can tell you for a fact that once you have identified and repaired the problem, not only will you have a better understanding of the wiring in your rig, but you will have a GREAT feeling of self accomplishment. I speak from experience. Finding and fixing a problem is OH so rewarding. Of course the journey to that point can result in a lot of your hair falling out.
My initial thought was that it would be the outlet closest to the breaker panel. But when I pulled that outlet it only had 1 wire... at that point I concluded that it must be the last in the circuit. I could be wrong. But that's what made sense to me. Lol.

I switch the black wires on the 2 15 amp breakers... still no outlet power.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:25 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post

My next guess will be the outlet directly across from the breaker panel. I have absolutely no clue whether the wires run under, over or around so I'll just keep checking. Lol
Old 03-12-2021, 10:32 AM   #72

Where did you get your wiring schematic
Dannye4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:37 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannye4 View Post
Where did you get your wiring schematic
I sent an email to Jayco.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:06 PM   #74

I see you later say 30a, but 1/2-tripped 50a would explain? You also talk like you have ONE GFCI, but one owner stated he had owned his rig 10-years and never knew he had a GFCI on his bed base (Until it tripped) LOL Turn OFF Outside CG Breaker, and all RV Breakers and then turn back ON, and see if restored? If NOT turn all off again, and start w/ receptacle closest to the RV POWER/ BREAKER PANEL and pull for inspection. If you find one receptacle with ONLY two wires, (vs 4) mark that one "end-of-line". TIP: If you have one that works that is BETWEEN Panel and first one that does NOT work, check THAT one FIRST? Suspicion that is one that has a loose wire? (BTW, Loose wires= HEAT/COOL= UNSEEN WIRE MOVEMENT)
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 11:41 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenne1713 View Post
I see you later say 30a, but 1/2-tripped 50a would explain? You also talk like you have ONE GFCI, but one owner stated he had owned his rig 10-years and never knew he had a GFCI on his bed base (Until it tripped) LOL Turn OFF Outside CG Breaker, and all RV Breakers and then turn back ON, and see if restored? If NOT turn all off again, and start w/ receptacle closest to the RV POWER/ BREAKER PANEL and pull for inspection. If you find one receptacle with ONLY two wires, (vs 4) mark that one "end-of-line". TIP: If you have one that works that is BETWEEN Panel and first one that does NOT work, check THAT one FIRST? Suspicion that is one that has a loose wire? (BTW, Loose wires= HEAT/COOL= UNSEEN WIRE MOVEMENT)
I have a wiring diagram from Jayco. There is only 1 gfi outlet. Guaranteed.

I have found my issue and I have fixed it. There was a bad outlet, under the table. I have since added a gfi outlet to that circuit.