Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-08-2016, 03:22 PM   #1

I had an oh oh moment, then an inspiration

I was headed out the other morning to work before sunrise. We have our trailer on shore power in our pasture. I looked over and saw the awning lights on. So I went over and checked the lights switch. It was off. I unplugged the shore power and they were still on, battery then kicked in and the lights still on. I was about to unhook the battery cable and unplug everything and worry about it when I got home later, until I remembered that my young grandson was playing with the remote for the awning the day before. He had turned on the lights while playing and I never noticed because it was daylight at the time. Well if you turn on the lights with the remote, the only way to turn them off is with the remote. That I learned a couple of weeks earlier while camping. I always think of the worst before taking time to figure things out. Once I calmed down and remembered the remote, things were much better.
And I am changing the password on the remote...
gburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gburger View Post
I was headed out the other morning to work before sunrise. We have our trailer on shore power in our pasture. I looked over and saw the awning lights on. So I went over and checked the lights switch. It was off. I unplugged the shore power and they were still on, battery then kicked in and the lights still on. I was about to unhook the battery cable and unplug everything and worry about it when I got home later, until I remembered that my young grandson was playing with the remote for the awning the day before. He had turned on the lights while playing and I never noticed because it was daylight at the time. Well if you turn on the lights with the remote, the only way to turn them off is with the remote. That I learned a couple of weeks earlier while camping. I always think of the worst before taking time to figure things out. Once I calmed down and remembered the remote, things were much better.
And I am changing the password on the remote...
The real "are you crazey" moment was letting your grandson play with a remote to your TT. Are you kidding????? If you want something to fail or fall apart the next time you use your RV, let a kid play with something in it. Have heard a dozen people who can't find their keys because they let a young child play with them or raffle thru their purse. Went thru multi boat repairs after wife's sisters let their kids play boat driver with the run about on the boat hoist while they baked in the sun. Broken steering cables, stripped shift levers, and yes the always popular missing keys. In modern times we see moms letting rug rats play with their $600 iPhone.

Rv's have lots of moving parts and many of them don't last long with rough use or kids using them as play toys. Forget the awning lights on goof up and hope the awning goes in and out the next time you go camping. They make a million toys for kids to play with. Keys, remotes, radio controls, recliners, computers, the electric tongue jack etc are not toys.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 07:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
The real "are you crazey" moment was letting your grandson play with a remote to your TT. Are you kidding????? If you want something to fail or fall apart the next time you use your RV, let a kid play with something in it. Have heard a dozen people who can't find their keys because they let a young child play with them or raffle thru their purse. Went thru multi boat repairs after wife's sisters let their kids play boat driver with the run about on the boat hoist while they baked in the sun. Broken steering cables, stripped shift levers, and yes the always popular missing keys. In modern times we see moms letting rug rats play with their $600 iPhone.

Rv's have lots of moving parts and many of them don't last long with rough use or kids using them as play toys. Forget the awning lights on goof up and hope the awning goes in and out the next time you go camping. They make a million toys for kids to play with. Keys, remotes, radio controls, recliners, computers, the electric tongue jack etc are not toys.

Duse...take a chill pill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Duse...take a chill pill lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe but so true!!! We go fishing, golfing, and RVing to name a few only to discover that your favorite reel is hopelessly tangled, where's my putter, and what happened to the tv remote???? What do these things all have in common? You are away from home with fun plans and you discover that little John or Susie had fun last week while you were at work.

Sorry but there are reasons why little kids need supervision. Understand that much of what we do as grandparents is to plan fun and educational things for our grandkids but how much fun is lost because stuff is broken or lost?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Maybe but so true!!! We go fishing, golfing, and RVing to name a few only to discover that your favorite reel is hopelessly tangled, where's my putter, and what happened to the tv remote???? What do these things all have in common? You are away from home with fun plans and you discover that little John or Susie had fun last week while you were at work.

Sorry but there are reasons why little kids need supervision. Understand that much of what we do as grandparents is to plan fun and educational things for our grandkids but how much fun is lost because stuff is broken or lost?
Wow Bassdogs. Glad my parents are a bit more laid back... I do parent my children in a way that they understand when items are not toys - I take the time to show them how things work and explain that sometimes they are not able to treat these things like their toys. FWIW my parents have boats, RV's, golf carts, etc and we have not had a problem with anything being broken or lost...
16Eagle314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Eagle314BHDS View Post
Wow Bassdogs. Glad my parents are a bit more laid back... I do parent my children in a way that they understand when items are not toys - I take the time to show them how things work and explain that sometimes they are not able to treat these things like their toys. FWIW my parents have boats, RV's, golf carts, etc and we have not had a problem with anything being broken or lost...
Cudo's good parenting and training go along way. Some don't get it.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:50 AM   #7

Hopefully Bass you were just having an off day and not always wound so tight. It's not like the kid was playing with a chainsaw or lighter; it was an awning remote.

No doubt kids can break and/or lose stuff, so can adults, it's part of life.

I have 3 young kids that I encourage to be curious and explore how things work. That's a natural part of growing and developing.

My kids have never crashed my car, broke a window, lost my keys, misplaced a tool, etc -- but guess what, I have done all of these things.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #8

Our remote also controls the awnings, slides and leveling system. We have several grand-kids that camp with us all the time but I don't think I would let them "play" with the remote unsupervised. A disaster waiting to happen IMO. Everyone is different in how they supervise and that is their decision.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Hopefully Bass you were just having an off day and not always wound so tight. It's not like the kid was playing with a chainsaw or lighter; it was an awning remote.

No doubt kids can break and/or lose stuff, so can adults, it's part of life.

I have 3 young kids that I encourage to be curious and explore how things work. That's a natural part of growing and developing.

My kids have never crashed my car, broke a window, lost my keys, misplaced a tool, etc -- but guess what, I have done all of these things.
Your time will come, it's part of raising them. Now where is that 9/16th the boy was just working on his bike.
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Amen! We spend way to much time stifling kids creativity, then we wonder why when they are adults they can't think for themselves. Let them explore, find out how things work. Sometimes things are going to get broken. It will happen, things can be replaced.
roosterchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #11
Site Team

Mine drove all my screwdrivers into the yard once with a hammer and I mowed them down with the lawn mower.

It didn't seem to funny that day!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterchaser View Post
Amen! We spend way to much time stifling kids creativity, then we wonder why when they are adults they can't think for themselves. Let them explore, find out how things work. Sometimes things are going to get broken. It will happen, things can be replaced.
Come on folks, lets be real. Could be wound tight, but my point here is valid. Each of you are free to raise your kids and grand kids how ever you like. It is afterall America. That said we read day after day about RV quality and things breaking. RV moving parts and electronics are pretty durable but DO NOT DO WELL with rough use or miss use. End of point!

Encouraging kids to be creative and courious is obviously a great thing. Playing with remotes, car keys, the touch screen settings on your vehicles controls etc are not kids being creative or courious. Sitting down with them and teaching them how stuff works or what stuff does is something we all agree is good. Playing with sensitive or expensive adult stuff is not fulfilling that task.

My 9 grand kids love to come to the farm, go on RV outings and do fun things out on the lake. But when the slide wont retract at the end of the trip or the Seadoo is dead in the water because Johnie was playing with the key or whatever, all that fun quickly evaporates.

No surprise I'm no millinial and was not raised in the do what ever you want and I'll follow you around era. But in the spirit of the original posters message something acting funny after a small child played with it has more to do with kids playing with adult stuff and less to do with understanding how the on/off works with the awning.

Done with this thread. Many points of view expressed and we can agree to disagree.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:

I disagree with you in that our 3 YO daughter uses the remote to help me hook up and unhook the 5er and put the slides out. Our daughter does a great job and we have taught her the boundaries and then she gets a feeling of accomplishment in that she helped dear old dad out! I have changed the access code and watch her while these tasks are being performed.
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #14
Dan

As a parent of two teenagers, my humble opinion is that both "sides" are right. Good old common sense comes into play (again in my opinion) regarding what children are allowed to "play" with, the amount of supervision required, etc. I believe going to the extreme either way on this issue, and I'm only addressing kids and RV's now, would be somewhat detrimental. Just my two cents.

P.S. My dad never lets me forget the time he was painting the house and in the spirit off helping, I took a paint brush slathered in primer to his brand new Buick, haha.

2013 Dodge Ram 3500 6.7L CTD DRW CCLB
2015 White Hawk 28DSBH (trade-in)
2015 Eagle 355MBQS (trade-in)
2019 Jay Flight 29BHDB
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 03:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoneys View Post
I disagree with you in that our 3 YO daughter uses the remote to help me hook up and unhook the 5er and put the slides out. Our daughter does a great job and we have taught her the boundaries and then she gets a feeling of accomplishment in that she helped dear old dad out! I have changed the access code and watch her while these tasks are being performed.
Apples and oranges.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Mine drove all my screwdrivers into the yard once with a hammer and I mowed them down with the lawn mower.

Thanks for the chuckle.

On topic.
All kids are different.
When you find what makes them click, encourage it, don't push it.
And don't push activities on ghee that they despise.

Lord knows my daughters are night and day different.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
As a parent of two teenagers, my humble opinion is that both "sides" are right. Good old common sense comes into play (again in my opinion) regarding what children are allowed to "play" with, the amount of supervision required, etc. I believe going to the extreme either way on this issue, and I'm only addressing kids and RV's now, would be somewhat detrimental. Just my two cents.

P.S. My dad never lets me forget the time he was painting the house and in the spirit off helping, I took a paint brush slathered in primer to his brand new Buick, haha.
absolutely agree with your opinion!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:29 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post

That goes in the "whoopin then, good laugh around the campfire now" category!

2019 Open Range 374BHS
2107 Chevrolet 3500HD dually
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:48 AM   #19

All this reminds me of something my boss told me way back in my high school days. "Some people raise their children, others just let'em grow!" How true!
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote