Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-08-2016, 09:22 PM   #1

I Hate Meeces to Pieces

Evening,

My camper is stored outside at a local Rv repair facility. Last year I noticed mouse dropping in the cabinet under the sink. Over the season I got under the camper and used foam to fill a couple of small openings in the underbelly covering. I also put a bunch of mouse glue traps in the camper when I winterized as a precaution.

Yesterday I decided to go check the camper and I found a dead mouse in a trap in the same sink cabinet. He made a pretty good mess before he died so I cleaned up and disinfected the cabinet and put in some xtra traps.

Even though I am skeptical I put a bunch of dryer sheets in the camper, too. I used to use moth balls in my old camper but it would take days for that smell to disipate on our first trip and some of the chemicals in those things are pretty toxic. One more mouse occupancy and I might go back to moth balls.

Oh well, the price od ownership I guess. Thanks for letting me vent!
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #2

I had the same problem. But its my house in the Maine woods. Critters took shelter inside in the winter and I got fed up with it.

The electronic repellers seem to work. However my house has electric, so I don't need a battery powered unit.

If its warm enough where you are, there are sonic battery powered repellents.

We've been down the peanut butter trap, moth ball, D con route too. But we have a dog and those don't work.

If you decide to coexist with mice perhaps Clorox will work on dishes, utensils and surfaces.

Finding how the mice get in is really frustrating.

For us in a house setting the sonic repellent seems to work really well.
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:25 AM   #3

I know I'm not politically correct here, but we are all entitled to self preservation, correct?

My home base site is (was) literally covered up with eastern chipmunks. Last spring, 2015, I'm convinced one of them got in my underbelly and died. I never found the remains, it took a week for the smell to go away and I had to disconnect my propane/CO detector because the methane gas from the decomposition set it off every time I closed the windows. I'm just glad it happened in the spring when I could leave the windows open. I full time and just waiting it out wasn't a good option.

My non-politically solution was a .22 cal pellet rifle with a scope. I had a perfect "blind" to hunt from - slide out windows in all directions. My home base town does allow pellet guns to be used. The first afternoon after I sited in the scope I eliminated 4. The next day 2-3 and I now get about 1 a week. I'm sure these singles are moving in to take over the abandoned burrows. I keep an eye on the burrow openings and they are starting to collapse so I am winning.

Let the flaming begin, but I'm solving my critter problem. And yes I tried every trick I was even told about to make them go away. Nothing worked but lead.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:14 AM   #4

Mice are easy to keep out of your camper...I keep my campers' underside coated with mouse-free. Has been working perfectly since 2013 when we sprayed ours after having mice in it the first winter we owned it!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:23 AM   #5

Ed, I see no problem with your method in sending those destructive little rodents into kingdom come. Chipmunks are obnoxious and destructive. Just see for yourself!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:45 AM   #6

Unfortunately, the pellet gun and electric repellent ideas won't work for me. There is no electric near my camper and discharging guns of any kind is frowned upon in my area.

I looked for battery operated repellents and did not find any in my local hardware stores. I assumed it was a function of effectiveness and battery life in the cold weather. Here in NJ the weather changes often but we do have our extended periods of below freezing cold.

The spray-on mouse-free product looks interesting. I will investigate.

I guess the only real solution is to take a trip!
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbravo View Post
Evening,

My camper is stored outside at a local Rv repair facility. Last year I noticed mouse dropping in the cabinet under the sink. Over the season I got under the camper and used foam to fill a couple of small openings in the underbelly covering. I also put a bunch of mouse glue traps in the camper when I winterized as a precaution.

Yesterday I decided to go check the camper and I found a dead mouse in a trap in the same sink cabinet. He made a pretty good mess before he died so I cleaned up and disinfected the cabinet and put in some xtra traps.

Even though I am skeptical I put a bunch of dryer sheets in the camper, too. I used to use moth balls in my old camper but it would take days for that smell to disipate on our first trip and some of the chemicals in those things are pretty toxic. One more mouse occupancy and I might go back to moth balls.

Oh well, the price od ownership I guess. Thanks for letting me vent!
If the sink cabinet is the only evidence, try to figure out how it's getting in there. I just noticed evidence there on mine and during the investigation, noticed that the spray foam around the sink pipes was loose. If a mouse got under the floor, they would be able to squeeze by even though it looked secure. I'd worry mostly about looking for floor penetration. Try to get access into all the dead areas if you can and look for holes.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
Mice are easy to keep out of your camper...I keep my campers' underside coated with mouse-free. Has been working perfectly since 2013 when we sprayed ours after having mice in it the first winter we owned it!
I had to put my glasses on to make sure I was reading the price right. $9.99 sounds like a fair deal for a gallon. Then I realized it was $99.00 for a gallon and it takes two to treat my TT.

Ouch!!!!!
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:16 AM   #9

Tracking down the point(s) of entry.

I have no idea if this will work.

There are RV facilities who offer a service to help locate water leaks. Basically the RV is sealed and pressurized. It may be worth asking if that method would work to help located problem areas under the trailer.

My thought would be to pressurize the RV and go underneath with some sort of smoke producing device. The leak(s) should be revealed by the smoke being displaced from any escaping air currents. Larger leaks may even make some noise as the air flows out.

The belly cloth may mask some areas, but certainly not all.

An additional benefit is that they can also check for water leaks and other potential problems.

vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:22 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
I had to put my glasses on to make sure I was reading the price right. $9.99 sounds like a fair deal for a gallon. Then I realized it was $99.00 for a gallon and it takes two to treat my TT.

Ouch!!!!!
I originally thought that too until we had to buy a new dinette cushion that cost 80 something dollars because mice had chewed through it! The camper was only 6 months old at that time!

So far the $200 I spent has covered me from 2013 until now and I even have a little left. I will buy another gallon in a couple years. I touch it up every other year. That only takes a very small amount, probably 1/2 gallon or less. The first coating takes the majority.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
Old 01-09-2016, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiftedAWDAstro View Post
I

So far the $200 I spent has covered me from 2013 until now and I even have a little left. I will buy another gallon in a couple years. I touch it up every other year. That only takes a very small amount, probably 1/2 gallon or less. The first coating takes the majority.
That is not so bad if it has lasted 3 years. They were talking reapplication every year! Thats a lot of beer.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #12

I have had a single mouse in our 28BHBE on our maiden voyage to Wells grey provincial Park here in BC. turns out the little bugger climbed up the fibreglass side of the trailer and entered through the fridge compartment where the propane hose goes into the interior. I was surprised they are able to climb the smooth side until i saw another one of the little buggers scale the tongue jack. I have since spray foamed every access point that i could find. even dropped the corrugated plastic underbelly and foamed inside of that too. Pulled the range and foamed all wiring and propane/plumbing access under it as well as at furnace and water heater. so far so good. no more critters in the TT. BTW... they absolutely love peanut butter cups...
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:11 AM   #13

Could you send a link for Mice free
Thanks
Soltice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #14

If possible use steel wool instead of spray foam products. When we had a Keystone Sprinter TT found mice first spring we opened it up for use, I foamed couple spots under TT that mice had entered, well the little buggers chewed that away by second spring, but the steel wool really did the trick for us the third spring with this TT.

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:10 PM   #15

mouse-free.com