Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 PM   #21

This is the correct answer.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 07:15 PM   #22

I would not hesitate using Eternabond if I was out of warranty. But, if there were any secondary issues they might not be covered.
stkoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #23

re: Roof Tear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78spster View Post
On my last trip I got a small tear/gouge in the roof of my new 306RKDS.
Its about 3-4 inches long and 1-2 wide on the edge just above the slide. Tree branch, my bad need to be more careful and not assume a small branch is no problem

I am thinking it should be patched, the dealer is suggesting replacing the whole roof since it is a 2018. They say insurance will cover it less deductible. Their reason is it will negatively impact me on trade-in and the patch won't last.

I find that hard to believe that insurance companies are that naive to do a $6-7 k roof replace vs $150 dealer quoted repair without push back.

Also reverse engineering on this scale scares me. i.e. removing end caps, both airs, vents, and awnings etc. Opening it up more issues than it fixes.

I submit this quandary to the community and hope you help me make a good choice.
Thanks
Chuck
The fabric and fabric R&R is only a piece of (most) roof repairs w/ water damage and interior repairs; assuming you got yours in quick with no/ little wood/ structure damage, I suspect it is a much cheaper 1/2-day to one-day project vs multi days w/ high labor & $$ and little/ no wood replacement and no interior repairs? What was total replacement $$ estimate?
thenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:51 PM   #24

I damaged my roof the summer, similar to your description. I used eternabond too. I did make one mistake! I stretched it, the next day, it peeled up. I reapplied, without stretching. It stuck, and still looks new. Since then I have done all the caulking, and it blends right in.

If I did an insurance claim, I would have a spray roof put on. It is similar to spray bedliner.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:50 PM   #25

From my experience, it's standard practice for insurance companies to replace (vs. repair) a damaged roof. There's no way to repair a cut or tear in a rubber roof without making it obvious it was repaired. Yes, eternabond will work. However, got to wonder how many folks would want a damaged roof on their shiny new car repaired in a similar fashion.

If I was the OP, I'd also be concerned about opening up a huge bag of worms by having the entire roof replaced. Unfortunately, this is more of a sad commentary about the RV industry than anything else.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:35 AM   #26

Would it be a good idea to put the Enterabond tape over the seam between the aluminum "rock" guard and TT on the front?
mikegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #27

Eternabond tape?? I found on Amazon. However, not sure what to get. There are 2 colors (black or white) and them different lengths and widths. Buying for first aid kit purposes. Don’t currently have a problem. But feel it a good idea to have on hand 24/7 when camping.
Thank you
mrlarson59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 06:20 PM   #28
Site Team

I purchased a 25' roll of 4 inch white and a 25' roll of 6" material. Also a can of spray cleaner. I did my whole roof, front and rear caps and all the roof openings. Still have enough left for a couple of patches.

Many rv supplies sell a patch kit that has a 12" x 12" square piece. It's kinda pricy.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote