Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2017, 10:06 PM   #1

I need help in calculating proper mount distances of gas struts for bed lift

Hello,

I tried following the mounting instructions by Hatchlift for the bed lift kit I purchased but when I mount the struts (springs) the distances and angles they say to I can't seem to obtain the 45-50 degree angle. They don't seem to have any phone support and no response to my email.

Do you know of any easy formulas or guidelines for calculating the proper distance to mount the lower and upper attachment points??

Please don't tell me to just try different positions, I already tried that and ended up breaking one of my 2x2 bed frame box supports.

The bed platform, queen mattress, 3" memory foam topper, and bedding is about 130 lbs. The bed is orientated side to side in the trailer and lifts up from the side. The vendor calls this a side loaded bed.

The platform to lift is 44 inches in length from the platform hinges, 56 inches wide, and I would like to have a 45-50 degree opening. The lower mounting rail is 20" high from the floor. The springs I bought are 90 lb springs, 20 inches extended and about 13 compressed. I also have a set of 120 lbs of same size in case I need more lift power.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
OregonPerson is offline   Reply With Quote