Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-18-2014, 10:24 AM   #1

I No Longer Own My Jayco, Still Need Advice From Best TT Forum I Know...

So, this past fall I winterized my Coleman CTS 262BH. I put about 3 gallons of antifreeze into the holding tank (there is no winterizing kit on this tt) and ran antifreeze through all the faucets. Mad sure the faucets were running well red. Dumped a cup down each trap and bypassed hot water heater. Now the puzzling part. I was at the camper this past weekend to let out the slide and start poking around to make sure all was okay. I discovered a couple of drips of antifreeze around the water pump and about four or five drips in a drawer that is directly below the kitchen faucet. The kitchen faucet is one of those types that has the built in sprayer in the faucet itself. Funny thing is, I KNOW I ran antifreeze through every line. Could it have still froze? I am really nervous about hooking up the city water this spring. If a pipe was cracked, would I not be seeing more antifreeze? Any ideas or advice is much appreciated. Maybe I should have stuck with Jayco!

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
villain2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
Site Team

It could be the compression fittings on the ptrap under the sink is leaking. They can work loose over time. May just need tightening up.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #3

We never pressurize with city water the first time out, even if we're on a full hook up site. I fill the fresh tank about 1/2 full and pressurize with the on board pump. If it doesn't pressurize quickly [don't open the water heater yet], you may have a leak and you can turn it off right there rather than running outside and turning off the spigot. If it does pressurize, I let it sit for a while to see if it cycles [slow leak]. I visually inspect all the plumbing I can see. Your pump is the best leak detector you have especially after the cold, hard winter we've all had to endure. I would recommend this to everyone.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 04:33 PM   #4

I agree with TCNASHVILLE about the pump being a leak detector. We leave our hose hooked up to city water pole, but only turn on the city valve when somebody is going to take a shower. Otherwise we just use the water pump and fresh tank, for washing dishes and what not. I figure this way the fresh water tank and pump will get used some, and by having the pump switched on all the time, it will let me know if a leak arises.
bcmorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #5
Site Team

^^^Yep, not a pretty sound hearing that pump come on while no faucets are turned on.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
We never pressurize with city water the first time out, even if we're on a full hook up site. I fill the fresh tank about 1/2 full and pressurize with the on board pump. If it doesn't pressurize quickly [don't open the water heater yet], you may have a leak and you can turn it off right there rather than running outside and turning off the spigot. If it does pressurize, I let it sit for a while to see if it cycles [slow leak]. I visually inspect all the plumbing I can see. Your pump is the best leak detector you have especially after the cold, hard winter we've all had to endure. I would recommend this to everyone.
Excellent idea. I will be sure to do this when I check things out! See? I told you this was the best place to get information. I hope you all don't mind me lurking here even though I don't have a Jayco anymore......I really do like this Coleman. (it's actually just a re-badged Dutchman) the floor plan is what really sold us.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

:cool: 2013 F150 STX Super Cab With Factory Tow Package, Inegrated Trailer Brake Control, 5.0 Liter with 3.55 Gears and Posi Traction :cool:
Old 03-18-2014, 07:13 PM   #7

One more.....
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 03-18-2014, 10:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
^^^Yep, not a pretty sound hearing that pump come on while no faucets are turned on.
Are you saying your water pump doesn't run at all and ever when the faucets are all off?

I watch my plumbing like a hawk, two trailers and I have discovered no leaks yet. However I have found, on both trailers, my water pump cycles on for 1-3 seconds every once in while. I assume it was just to boost pressure, I can't explain why it would lose pressure just assumed the pressure dissipated over time, assumed it had to do with the water heater and hot/cold expansion/contraction. Am I wrong, do i have a leak I just haven't found yet?
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Are you saying your water pump doesn't run at all and ever when the faucets are all off?

I watch my plumbing like a hawk, two trailers and I have discovered no leaks yet. However I have found, on both trailers, my water pump cycles on for 1-3 seconds every once in while. I assume it was just to boost pressure, I can't explain why it would lose pressure just assumed the pressure dissipated over time, assumed it had to do with the water heater and hot/cold expansion/contraction. Am I wrong, do i have a leak I just haven't found yet?
You either have a slow leak somewhere in the plumbing system or a bad pressure switch on the pump itself.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by villain2000 View Post
One more.....
Really nice looking trailer, even if it's not a Jayco
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Really nice looking trailer, even if it's not a Jayco
Thanks TC! It wasn't an easy decision. We really love the Jayco product. I'm sure we will be back some day.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:57 PM   #12

Another thought on this.....

With the crazy sustained cold we've had here in western PA, is it possible that the pex and fittings may have contracted a bit with the temperature, thus allowing some anti freeze to leak out? It is a plastic product and plastic does contract. Just a thought. Curious to hear some feedback on this theory....