Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2014, 05:08 AM   #1

Question I want a Jayco TT....I think...Please help

Hello all. Long time RVer here. 30+ yrs. Currently on rv # 11 and hate it. I have been researching for the last yr. I keep coming back to Jayco. Settled on the 23FB. I camp alone with just the dog mostly. The size looks perfect and I can get a full wall bedroom option with solid door that I really like for when there are 4 of us. Jayco has been doing this a long time and I was convinced they were doing it right. My concern. I stumbled onto a you tube video showing how Jayco builds trailers ,specifically the model I'm looking at, in 7 hours start to finish. Following that came pages of comments about the poor quality Jayco is selling and horror stories from owners. Most concerning leaks. I was set to order my new unit but now don't know. I had a leaking unit once that spent 8 of the 18 months I had it at the dealer for leaks. Can't live line that again. Please tell me this isn't the case.
reinbeauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:13 AM   #2

The bad part about reading online reviews is that you will get 19 bad reviews for every 1 good review. Yes, there are some campers that have issues but most never see a dealer for warranty work for anything major. We are on our 3rd Jayco since 2006 and each one has been pretty much trouble-free. The biggest issue, I think, is that as owners, we are required to do a LOT more servicing of campers than vehicles. Much of the time we see people who have more camper issues being people who either are not mechanically inclined or do not have the space or time to maintain their campers and only rely on the servicing department. The best thing you can do is look over the camper very well before picking it up. I even recommend getting on the roof and inspect everything!

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinbeauke View Post
My concern. I stumbled onto a you tube video showing how Jayco builds trailers ,specifically the model I'm looking at, in 7 hours start to finish. Following that came pages of comments about the poor quality Jayco is selling and horror stories from owners.
You think 7hrs is bad you need to watch a Big 3 video on how fast they build cars. Ford, Chevy, Dodge forums are full of people who have had problems with their vehicles. As stated before, you'll hear way more whining than praise on forums and reviews.

Find a floor plan you like and buy it.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #4

Well I went to the factory after we ordered our eagle for a private tour with the rep in our area and yes they move fast on the actual line but there are many sub assemblys that are built in the days proceeding the actual assembly . I was impressed with the speed at which each thing was done but saw no quality issues with how it was being done. They really work like a well oiled machine . After the tour I was more convinced to buy one from them . Just my two cents
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #5

I would agree with LiftedAWDAstro, most people will want to post negative than positive comments for obvious reasons. My 2013 hybrid just went through the worst rain I’ve seen in months and no leaks were found (and i checked every inch of that trailer with slider out). You will always find areas of questionable quality with anything you buy and Jayco is no different. The key for me is to determine if there is a real problem requiring dealer attention or if there is a way I can make it better. I quite enjoy the latter.
Sold 1999 Durango
fmichaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!
I have seen the video in question and many folks have commented on this over the past few years. The FINAL assembly took 7 hours. The walls, roof trusses, cabinets, frame and running gear, furniture, tanks, bunks, appliances etc are all pre made so the actual start to finish time is much longer. The 7 hr trailer is also a 26BH model with no slides.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:32 AM   #7

Reinbeauke,

First off, welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum! I did similar research before deciding on my Jayco. I found way more complaints about other trailers/manufacturers . . . and most of them were either ignored or unresolved by the manufacturer. Virtually all of the complaints I found about Jayco's were quickly resolved by Jayco and/or their dealers; many of them at no customer cost even after the 2-year warranty had expired. That's way better customer service than I found with any other brand. That's why I bought my Jayco Eagle instead of a similar floor plan from another manufacturer. Most of the issues I've run into stem from my lack of knowledge about a Jayco feature that my last trailer didn't have. That's where the folks at this forum have been so very helpful.

All I can tell you is I took my first outing in my new trailer last week. It was cold, windy and raining most of the time. But I had no leaks, no electrical problems, no water system problems, no appliance problems, and no structural problems. I could not be more pleased with my decision to purchase a Jayco product. I'm sure most JOF members would agree.

Take your time making your buying decision, and enjoy to the max whatever you decide to purchase!
Old 05-01-2014, 08:17 AM   #8

Sounds like you've had some tough experiences, perhaps a new Jayco could break that spell. I've had my trailer since September 2013. Virtually EVERY trip since then, it's rained on us. Even our first night in Camp Driveway, we had the worst rain storm in months. Nary a drop has gotten into my camper, and I've checked every inch of it front to back, top to bottom, on the roof and underneath. In the time I've owned my trailer, I've had 2 warranty issues; 1) the wiring harness got pinched somewhere along the line on our way home from the dealer. I told the dealer I was leaving for our maiden voyage and he had the new harness installed well before we had to leave. 2) One of the propane pigtails started leaking. I took it off, brought it to the dealer, he replaced it without question and gave me some yellow "teflon" tape and I installed the new one when I got home.

That's it. Just those two issues. Granted there are a few minor things like screws that missed the backer in the bunk, but that would take me 10 minutes to fix with my cordless drill whenever I get around to it; it's not critical. And one of the gas struts under our master bed has a tendency to pop off randomly; again, not critical and I'm certainly not towing the trailer to the dealership to mess with it. In fact I'll probably just replace it with a stronger strut because of the 4" memory foam topper being so heavy and we'll probably end up replacing the whole setup with a complete foam mattress.

Of course there are people who have problems with their Jayco, that's not rare. Certainly for the industry, but more so for the other manufacturers I researched over the two years I spent shopping. However, more stories than not end with "Jayco and my dealer handled my problem and now I'm back out camping." Not so with many of the other manufacturers and dealers out there... That's why I own a Jayco.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM   #9

Hey rein, Wow, 11 TT's! I'm just a beginner on our 2nd. Both have been Jay's and I've been pleased with the quality of both. Perfect? No, but in general, dang good.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #10

Welcome to the forum. Keep in mind those 7 hours include a lot of hands at work at a number of stations along its build path. It does not include cabinetry or upholstery construction. I don't think it includes wall construction which, at least based on a recent tour of the Eagle Premier /Pinnacle line, was performed at another facility and delivered ready for installation. All the mechanicals are plug n play and Jayco has done a pretty good job of employing modular design practices to drive commonality and reduce variation. They have confidence in what they do by slapping a 2 year warranty on each unit and have a reputation of standing behind what they sell.

Your 1st impression was correct, they generally do it right - not flawless but right.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #11

We bought our 3rd new Jayco last year. The first was a Jayco PUP in '93. Owned it for 10 years. No troubles. It's replacement was in '03, a Jayco Kiwi 17a Hybrid. Owned that 10 years. No troubles that were manufacturer related. Small leak in roof at 7 years due to dried out seals, leaky shutoff valve in plumbing at 10 years.

Keep in mind that every brand could develop roof leaks. It even states in the owners manual that its the owner's responsibility to do regular inspections of all seals.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:00 AM   #12

We love our Jaco and the service we have gotten in the short two weeks. My dealer checked in several times making sure everything is okay.
parkersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 PM   #13

Thanks everyone. What helps are those saying" this is our 2nd Jayco" or " 3rd" ect... Believe me I understand you can get a lemon under any name. When I was having the leak issue with a prior unit and started research I couldn't find a good word about them. Even the dealer I bought it from stopped selling them because of all the quality issues. Too little info too late on that one. I did also get from that video that many things were premade so to speak and final assembly was what we were seeing. Example the walls. I am feeling better knowing that there are happy Jayco owners. Now I'm sitting here wondering what day I can leave work early to get to the dealer and get this purchase rolling. LOL
reinbeauke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:13 PM   #14

The two year warranty to the original owner is priceless. We had LOTS of problems with our new Jayco for the first 18 months and most were fixed by Jayco.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:35 AM   #15

Well good luck with whatever you decide to purchase and just remember that everything is made by human beings and we are all flawed. Stuff happens and its how they deal with it that counts. To me the whole experience of getting out and camping makes all the headaches seem worth it in the end because i love camping and family time together. With all the kids being grown now it seems like thats one time when we can get together without alot of the noise and distractions of the world and work. Just try to remember when you get there to stop and smell the roses and look at the beauty of Gods creation , take it in and hold it all when you get back to the real world.
Paintinfool3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 05:53 AM   #16

Would I buy another Jayco product? "Yes"",in a heart beat.
Tunce the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #17

Have to remember it a moving house. Trailers are not to build to last forever. If you do think it does, then don't buy one. It also how people takes care of the trailer. I know there are people who is aggressive with the trailers. Stored it in a good cover storage. Take care of your trailer like you take care of yourself. The trailer last longer for those that take pride and show TLC (Tender Love and caring). Keep replacing parts or adding screws if needs. Don't put it off and let it fall off then complain on Forums that this trailer is junk. Not all trailers are built to be perfect. Even you spend alot of money it still will have loose screw or faulty fridge. RV is an expensive hobby. Take care of it and take pride with it.
2001 Jayco Qwest 12A (SOLD)
4 kids, 3 grown children, 1 in high school.
Jwunsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:04 PM   #18

I think that's probably the same or similar to the video I posted not long ago. If it hadn't come from Jayco's marketing department I'd have thought it was from a flamer. But our Eagle is now three years old and we've spent over a year living in it, all told, with not a single issue beyond two that were so minor we let them go to nearly the end of the warranty. I forgot. There was a brake problem that I had fixed by a local horse trailer dealer and Jayco reimbursed me even though I hadn't gotten pre authorization. If it matters, it's seen temp swings from over a hundred to way below freezing while we were in it, and stored in an open barn at sub zero temps. I think the most important thing you can do is buy from a manufacturer with a good rep for customer service. I've screwed up a few things that required their input and they've alway come across quickly.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #19

I'm on my second Jayco and have found them to be of higher quality than other brands I've owned. I've not had any leaks whatsoever. It is rare to find an RV that isn't going to have a few problems initially. The minor issues on mine were all taken care of on my first trip back to the dealer's service department. If I ever replace this one, it will most likely be with another Jayco.
2013 Jayco Premier 321 RLTS w/Atwood Levelegs (now removed)
ckdixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #20

Water is the single biggest enemy of RVs. My 2014 had several holes in the roof. Had I not been up on the roof inspecting I would have faced serious problems. Inspect, inspect, inspect! I fixed the critical ones myself and the dealer fixed the other problems. With "moving homes" stuff comes loose and if you catch it in time it will be fine. For example, the screws started backing out of the house door latch on my Greyhawk I was able to tighen them up and move on (had to also realign the latch too). Bottom line, stay on top of small stuff and the unit will last a long time.
2014 Greyhawk 31FS with a 2007 Tahoe toad
New setup:
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3 with a 2017 Ford Explorer toad
msturtz is offline   Reply With Quote