Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #1

Igniter for Oven

Our stove top and oven do not have igniters to light them. It's no issue for the stove top to use a handheld lighter or a match to light the burner. For the oven it's not easy to get down on the floor and reach up into the back and light the pilot light. Anyone ever added an automatic lighter to their oven? One of the piezoelectric lighters like you see on a gas grill? Not sure if possible but I'm sure there are TT ovens that have them so must be an option. Just not sure if it can be done aftermarket.
suzhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #2

I wouldn't trust one. Can't see or hear when the oven pilot actually ignites unless the door is open and you have an ear or eye on the pilot burner.

Both my last TT and current one require manual ignition of the oven pilot. Once per setup is small price to pay.

A semi-auto system, like in home gas oven might be nice. But at what additional cost of the appliance that many campers don't even use?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:11 AM   #3

We use ours and my wife cannot light it. With the door open the pilot is not that hard to see if lit or not plus, I don't leave the pilot lit when done cooking. The water heater and furnace operate fine with a spark starter so seems logical that one could be an option for the oven.
Old 11-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #4

Do you mean the breadbox?
Camp Winican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:52 AM   #5

I'm also a bit annoyed by the pilot light in the oven / breadbox

For reasons I don't quite understand, my wife cannot seem to use the oven, ever, without shutting the pilot light off. It's not a one time lighting event for us, I probably have to light ours a dozen times on a weekender. I have a couple of those longer BBQ lighters. I'd throw a piece of firewood in there if that was an option, but I do like to use the smoker.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
We use ours and my wife cannot light it. With the door open the pilot is not that hard to see if lit or not plus, I don't leave the pilot lit when done cooking. The water heater and furnace operate fine with a spark starter so seems logical that one could be an option for the oven.
The whole burner/control system would have to use a totally different system. Electronic oven temperature sensor. Electronic control board. Set the desired temperature with a potentiometer or buttons and digital display.

Yeah, it can be done.

Will it be done for those of us that DON'T consider it just a place to store semi-needed stuff?

How much more will you pay for that convenience and another .1A load on the battery?

And proud of it!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansai View Post
I'm also a bit annoyed by the pilot light in the oven / breadbox

For reasons I don't quite understand, my wife cannot seem to use the oven, ever, without shutting the pilot light off. It's not a one time lighting event for us, I probably have to light ours a dozen times on a weekender. I have a couple of those longer BBQ lighters. I'd throw a piece of firewood in there if that was an option, but I do like to use the smoker.
The stop between Oven Off and Pilot Off is really weak. You really have to pay attention when finished baking.

Being the one who uses the oven and is responsible for lighting it, I am careful. But I can see where it can be a bother.

Anybody know Atwood's corporate address? Let's see if they have plans for having the oven operate the same as the tank-type water heater?

And proud of it!
Old 11-04-2016, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
The stop between Oven Off and Pilot Off is really weak. You really have to pay attention when finished baking.

Being the one who uses the oven and is responsible for lighting it, I am careful. But I can see where it can be a bother.

Anybody know Atwood's corporate address? Let's see if they have plans for having the oven operate the same as the tank-type water heater?
1120 N. Main St.
Elkhart, IN 46514
Ph: 800-546-8759 USA
800-825-4328 Canada & USA

I have a feeling the answer is no for some reason.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:21 AM   #9

Not looking for anything sophisticated for temp control. Just want to light the pilot. The oven knob does have temp markings on it but suspect there is no real feedback to the system, simply a semi calibrated marking to how high the flame is like the range top works. Not sure, may be more "smarts" to it that than I think. Going to go back to the manual and see what it says. I'm thinking of something like the big red button piezoelectric on a gas grill. Just something to spark to light the pilot.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:27 AM   #10

On the same topic; be careful when using the stove igniter knob and avoid turning it the wrong way, it will break. It turns opposite the burner knobs and uses a plastic shaft and mechanism.
No personal experience.

On a positive note, the replacement mechanism is only about $16 on Amazon.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzhou View Post
Not looking for anything sophisticated for temp control. Just want to light the pilot. The oven knob does have temp markings on it but suspect there is no real feedback to the system, simply a semi calibrated marking to how high the flame is like the range top works. Not sure, may be more "smarts" to it that than I think. Going to go back to the manual and see what it says. I'm thinking of something like the big red button piezoelectric on a gas grill. Just something to spark to light the pilot.
The main burner inside the oven cycles to maintain the desired temperature of the box. 200F for warming, 300F slow baking, etc.

The control system has to have 2 facts:
1) What temperature the cook wants
2) The temperature inside the oven

If 1 is higher than 2 (and the pilot has lit for at least 30 seconds) the gas is turned on to the main burner. Any other combination, no gas to the main burner.

Right now that is being done mechanically. It can be done electronically, just need a wider desired temperature range than the gas fridge. We'll see it within the next few years.

-----

As mentioned before, safely igniting the oven pilot requires being able to observe the existence of a pilot flame. Remote start? Not a good idea.

And proud of it!
Old 11-04-2016, 11:46 AM   #12

"requires being able to observe the existence of a pilot flame"

Not a requirement in my book.

Curious how 'remote' lighting a pilot light is any riskier than remote lighting a BBQ grill. Worst thing that can happen is the stove doesn't light and you'd know it within a couple seconds. What am I missing that makes a push button start more dangerous in pilot light scenario?

My residential gas stove doesn't have a pilot light, it uses a glow plug, but the one I had before that had a pilot light in the oven that you could remotely start.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:01 PM   #13

Quote:
"requires being able to observe the existence of a pilot flame"

Not a requirement in my book.

Curious how 'remote' lighting a pilot light is any riskier than remote lighting a BBQ grill. Worst thing that can happen is the stove doesn't light and you'd know it within a couple seconds. What am I missing that makes a push button start more dangerous in pilot light scenario?

My residential gas stove doesn't have a pilot light, it uses a glow plug, but the one I had before that had a pilot light in the oven that you could remotely start.
Because you do observe the gas grill lighting. That much flow stays lit.

A pilot light is a small flow and may not stay lit until all the air is purged from the line and has had a chance to warm the thermocouple that tells the control that it is OK to send gas to the main burner.

Gas grill is nice and simple. You control the main burner directly. Any foulups, bleeps and blunders are on you in short order. Outdoors.

Pilot flame issues: gas is flow controlled by a fire-and-forget mechanical system. No fire when the gas flows. Hopefully the CO detector starts making noise before the pool of propane near the floor ignites.

And proud of it!
Old 11-04-2016, 12:20 PM   #14

I like to give humanity enough credit overall to think that if they turn their oven on, and it doesn't light, they aren't going to just shrug their shoulders and go fishing or something while the unlit gas is filling their camper. Maybe I give people too much credit though.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #15

When I was very young and mother still had to light the home stove top with a match, she was distracted by another young boy for just the right amount of time and when lighting the stove then had a face and all hair engulfed in flame.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
When I was very young and mother still had to light the home stove top with a match, she was distracted by another young boy for just the right amount of time and when lighting the stove then had a face and all hair engulfed in flame.
That sucks.. hope she was ok.

I saw someone do that with their BBQ grill last 4th at the park. They tried to light the grill with the cover closed for some reason. Dude is lucky to be alive as it blew the lid off.

Back on point though, I guess I'm kind of amused by the topic because if people can't be trusted to turn the gas off in their oven when it doesn't immediately light as expected, I'm not sure if they are qualified to be among us in the wild. Making it easier to light the pilot doesn't inherently make the oven any more, or less dangerous. You end up with the same risks in either case. These pilot lights blow out all the time, and people turn their stoves on, unaware that this has happened. 99.999% of them survive the experience.

Is the risk that people will for some reason fill the entire cavity of their oven with propane gas and then hit the sparker? Their are easier ways for someone to do themselves in, but I guess it could happen.
Old 11-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #17

My oven has a thermal switch that will turn off the propane if the pilot light goes out and I have to hold a button until the pilot light heats up the switch or it will go out.

Don't they all have that? Seems pretty safe to me. I don't see any issue with remote starting the pilot but of course you will have to look to see if it actually took.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #18

Quote:
...snip... These pilot lights blow out all the time, and people turn their stoves on, unaware that this has happened. 99.999% of them survive the experience.
And the .00000000001% is where the lawyers squeeze in and ruin the fun for those of us with a clue or 3.

Manufacturers are then forced to make things "idiot-proof".

Required: child-resistant packaging, ABS, traction control, backup cameras, locks that always open from the inside, glow-in-the-dark trunk release,

[/rant]

Ratsafrassing nanny state!

And proud of it!
Old 11-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
And the .00000000001% is where the lawyers squeeze in and ruin the fun for those of us with a clue or 3.

Manufacturers are then forced to make things "idiot-proof".

Required: child-resistant packaging, ABS, traction control, backup cameras, locks that always open from the inside, glow-in-the-dark trunk release,

[/rant]

Ratsafrassing nanny state!
So going full circle you aren't really saying the remote start is a bad idea afterall. I'm with you on the whole lawyer thing messing it up for the rest of us.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #20

Quote:
So going full circle you aren't really saying the remote start is a bad idea afterall. I'm with you on the whole lawyer thing messing it up for the rest of us.
I'm saying that I will never set up the kind of thing you are planning because the potential for Bad Things is greater than I am comfortable with. My hobbies include all kinds of dangerous gasses. So my threshold on what is safe is set fairly low.

The risks that I take with my stuff and my life are a whole lot higher than I can advise anyone else to do.

I've had propane get out of control on more than 1 occasion. So ALL the routine stuff includes as many safeguards as is practical. Including turning off the tanks when underway.

If you want to rig a piezo, 12VDC or 120VAC igniter that you can't see and can't observe the flame, I won't get in your way. Just remember that the wiring has to handle the heat.

On residential ovens, the oven pilot is a fairly substantial flame an there is an audible 'pop' when it lights. Our little RV ovens don't do that.

I wanna SEE that steady blue glow. Even if it takes waving the BBQ lighter back there for a full minute.

And proud of it!