Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #1

Impact Wrench

Howdy all..

Was thinking about getting a Cordless Impact Wrench to keep for emergency flat repair or maintenance on TT and TV. Wrench and impact sockets..

What do you recommend??

2021Chevy Z-71 Texas Edition
2022 Jayco SLX8 212QB
Pobre RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:54 PM   #2

Makita XWT08Z 18V LXT Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless High-Torque 1/2" Sq. Drive Impact Wrench, Tool Only https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CA04RH4...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this one. Works great. When I see anyone on the side of the road needing to change a tire I stop just so I can use it. I already had batteries from others.
GuanoJuano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:59 PM   #3

Yea.. Have been really impressed with the new Makita Impact Wrenches.. Saw a deal at Lowes for the newer Kubota plus they throw in a 3/8 in Impact Wrench as well as part of a promo package combo.

Been watching this channel https://www.youtube.com/c/TorqueTestChannel to make an informed decision.. You'll see that your Makita ranks up there against the big-name ones..

2022 Jayco SLX8 212QB
Old 10-04-2021, 10:04 PM   #4

The main thing is to pick a brand and stick with it so you can use the same type of batteries as you add more tools. I happen to have a Rigid brand impact, it works well, but there are stronger ones out there.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:17 PM   #5

Yea, I have a guy on Offer-up that is in a bit of a financial situation since he got released from his job due to Covid. Selling a new Hart 20V Impact wrench with an extra 40v and charger for $90.. Might look further into that.. I can go to Harbor Freight and load up on impact sockets if I do that..

2022 Jayco SLX8 212QB
Old 10-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #6

After having to change a tire in the back country when it was also 115 deg outside, & having to say MANY choice words about Discount Tire & how hard the lug nuts were a friend who was with us told me about the 24V 1/2" drive Kobalt he had. I have since bought that & in time gave my son all my 18V Ryobi tools & replaced the ones I used the most with the 24V Kobalt ones.

I know Makita, Dewalt and others are probably better, but I am not making my living with these tools, if I did my purchases would be different. Just need them occasionally. But I can tell you, I have placed the fully charged 24V battery in my "crash box" in the truck (which has floor jack, 2 jack stands, tire repair kit, tec) & one year later, the battery is still fully charged. That is what drove me to give my son the Ryobi 18V tools & replace the ones I used the most with the 24V Kolbalt tools.

I waited until the driver was on sale & then had Lowes add my military discount on top of it. Did the same when I picked up the other tools. Went to Harbor Freight for the impact sockets. I have used this quite a bit over the last few years around the house & helping others on the road, & I can tell you, it works VERY well. Again, if this is something you are not making your living with day in & day out, going with the Kobalt & saving some $ will be worth it.
AZMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:30 AM   #7

We have a Dewalt 18 volt impact wrench that de elope 330 ft-lbs of torque. It was about $100. You probably could get the 20 volt model. It has higher torque. If you get anything you need to be above 300 ft-lbs to be able to get it apart.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 12:39 AM   #8

I'm a lot more comfortable carrying a breaker bar for emergency flat repair. It lives in the trailer, still works if I drop it in a creek, and it almost never runs out of batteries.

That being said, I have the same Makita recommended up above, it lives in my truck along with sockets that fit truck and trailer.
ctardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 06:46 AM   #9

I bought this one from O'Reilly's after I watched a guy camped next to us using one to change a tire on his 5th Wheel. Great price and over 300 ft-lbs of torque.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...t+Wrench&pos=6

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:33 AM   #10

I have a 18 volt dewalt that will not break the lug nuts loose the tire shops put on although it came in handy taking the lug nuts off after breaking them loose.
I went to a milwaukee cordless and have not found anything it will not break loose.
camjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by camjam View Post
I have a 18 volt dewalt that will not break the lug nuts loose the tire shops put on although it came in handy taking the lug nuts off after breaking them loose.
I went to a milwaukee cordless and have not found anything it will not break loose.
Yes, my Rigid will remove all the bolts I need, even the 200 ft/lb hitch bolts. But I need to use my highest amperage battery pack for the big bolts.

I would like to upgrade to a stronger system, but I have a long list of expensive things to get, this one is working for me, and I carry a breaker bar just in case.
Old 10-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #12

I have a Ryobi 18v impact which works well. However I suggest to everyone to not only bring an electric impact but to also bring a breaker bar. In fact, a torque wrench breaker bar is best as it is very hard to know if a wheel is torqued evenly without a torque wrench. My recommendation is to use the impact for removal and running up the lug nuts followed by a torque wrench set to the specs of whatever you are changing the tire on, and if you are not sure what the torque should be then you should take the time to find out before you ever have to change a tire, and even then if you are not sure, having each lug nut at the same torque is better than not. ~CA

BTW, if you do torque your wheel after changing a flat, it is not a bad idea at all to check the torque again at the end of the day or prior to hitting the road again. I haven't had any issues with lug nuts backing off, but certainly they could. Even if you don't torque your wheels, it is still not a bad idea to check the lug nuts with whatever you have (breaker or impact) after a ~100 miles or so after changing a tire.

https://www.amazon.com/LEXIVON-2-Inc...s%2C245&sr=8-9
Old 10-05-2021, 09:41 AM   #13

Thanks for the heads up.
Yea bought a breaker bar and a torque wrench already to keep in the TV just in case..

Think I am gonna take the deal on Offer-Up for a HART Impact Wrench.. Its not the best but with a breaker bar to help if need be then the Impact wrench to finish up; that will work for me..

Already got the Impact Sockets at Harbor Freight as well as the extensions..

Need the Safety Markers now. Anyone recommend a set??

2022 Jayco SLX8 212QB
Old 10-05-2021, 03:40 PM   #14

I carry a long breaker, a 4-way and torque wrench for changing a tire. I also have road-side and used them twice for tire failures. Haven’t needed to change my own tire “road side” (yet) but have removed tire/wheel many times in storage for maintenance.

A related point, I carry an Anderson Rapid Jack to lift the 5th should I need to. Some folks have found it won’t lift enough to get the adjacent tire off the ground (including myself). I solved that by laying some cribbing on the ground and putting the ARJ on top.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FAD443C4-8244-4BE8-8A28-1A77C309988E.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	76117

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
I carry a long breaker, a 4-way and torque wrench for changing a tire. I also have road-side and used them twice for tire failures. Haven’t needed to change my own tire “road side” (yet) but have removed tire/wheel many times in storage for maintenance.

A related point, I carry an Anderson Rapid Jack to lift the 5th should I need to. Some folks have found it won’t lift enough to get the adjacent tire off the ground (including myself). I solved that by laying some cribbing on the ground and putting the ARJ on top.
Attachment 76117
I have a Dewalt AC voltage 1/2" impact and have had it for 25 years. When needed
I can run the genset to power it. I got this to change tires in an emergency. Used it to change a wheel in the middle of nowhere and use it for other things around the farm/house etc. Rated for around 360 ft/lbs I think. I carry sockets to fit lugs with me and also carry wood blocks to use leveling jacks to lift wheels for changing. Works like a champ.
mcdanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobre RV View Post
Howdy all..

Was thinking about getting a Cordless Impact Wrench to keep for emergency flat repair or maintenance on TT and TV. Wrench and impact sockets..

What do you recommend??
I would go with whatever brand of tools you have now. I have a 1/2 craftsman that works great around the house, if it goes bad I'll get a Dewalt because that is what I'm changing over to as the craftsman go bad, I'm still waiting for that to happen. The Dewalt has 700 ft lb torque and 1,200 break away torque. If that's not enough you're doing something wrong. I carry a 60 volt Dewalt sawzall for cutting fireplace logs and a leaf blower to clean the campsite after I pull in.
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:07 PM   #17

DeWalt 20volt is what I have, I have the impact , drill and three batteries with two chargers. I’ve checked lug nuts with a torque wrench after using my impact and get 90flbs easy.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobre RV View Post
Howdy all..

What do you recommend??
Since I have a good impact wrench that stays in my shop, I purchased a brand on Amazon called AvidPower. Came with a nice case and several common size impact sockets. For the occasional use on the road, it seems very adequate. I’ve tested it a few times at the house (when I rotated my fifth wheel’s tires and lubed our bearings), and it had plenty of power to do those chores. Paid $99 for it last year, and for it’s use, works perfectly.
Old 10-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #19

reinstalling note

The main topic is impact wrenches with many comments regarding how difficult some nuts are to remove. Don't forget when reassembling that the studs should have a drop of lubricant to reduce rust and assure the ability to evenly torque the nuts. The nuts should be tightened to a certain torque in a star pattern and progressively tighter. When correctly torqued the studs will not be broken, the nuts will be reasonable to remove, and most important a vehicle with disc brake rotors is far less likely to warp and cause stopping vibrations. Grossly unequal torques especially when done around the studs versus a star pattern will cause unequal tension in the steel so the rotor warps usually after a week or two. When vibration starts the shop will swear they did not cause it.....but they did.
JimDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 03:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDeb View Post
The main topic is impact wrenches with many comments regarding how difficult some nuts are to remove. Don't forget when reassembling that the studs should have a drop of lubricant to reduce rust and assure the ability to evenly torque the nuts. The nuts should be tightened to a certain torque in a star pattern and progressively tighter. When correctly torqued the studs will not be broken, the nuts will be reasonable to remove, and most important a vehicle with disc brake rotors is far less likely to warp and cause stopping vibrations. Grossly unequal torques especially when done around the studs versus a star pattern will cause unequal tension in the steel so the rotor warps usually after a week or two. When vibration starts the shop will swear they did not cause it.....but they did.
Never put lube of any kind on lug nuts
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote