Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #1

Insect vent for a 2014 jayflight 26bh

Trying to order an insect vent online and not sure of the size I am needing. Can anyone help a newby out? 😉
Outdoorsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:50 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum! What vent are you trying to cover? Hot water heater, furnace fridge?
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:51 AM   #3

The furnace one, metal plate with raised round top.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:52 AM   #4

We are first time owners of a travel trailer and loving it. Just trying to get all of the necessary items covered.
Thank you for the welcome. Glad I found this forum for some tips and help along the way.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:05 AM   #5

I believe this is the one. I had my dealer install this one when we bought our TT but I installed the others...easy process. Just make sure you check your screens once a year to make sure they are clean.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-42141-Fl...ace+vent+cover
Old 07-21-2015, 08:07 AM   #6

I remember being confused about the correct screen. If it is an Atwood Hydroflame furnace, this may be the correct insect screen: screen (clicky)
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #7

Good catch, RVhiker. I have no idea who makes the furnace in my TT. Measuring the opening should get him on the right track.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 AM   #8

I bought one from my dealer for the furnace vent, then I purchased heavy duty screening material. With a hot glue gun I was able to secure the screen material to inside the bumper caps, refrigerator vent, and the hotwater heater vent. 5 years now and the screens have help up just fine.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

This the vent your talking about? Just make your own from window screen. For some reason I can't add the pic. Of mine.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Outdoorsy, welcome to the forum from a fellow Tennesean. Good luck with your new TT and happy camping. Either method will work. If buying pre-made will need to know manufacturer and model. Would suggest you also consider one for the water heater and the refrigerator. The mud- daubers love to build nests in both.

TNCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #11
Site Team

Welcome! Also the rear bumper caps are a good place for bees. Nothin' like pullin' the sewer hose out, and finding a bunch of mad ones!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #12

Hello everyone this will be our second year camping. We bought a 2015 Jayco Jayfeather last fall. I'm trying everywhere to find the screen cover for our Atwood furnace. it has a raised square section instead of the round I normally see. I'll share a photo. We covered the water heater already. Do we need to cover the fridge vent as well? We typically have an issue with mud wasps trying to get in our attic so I know they will be interested in the camper. Can't seem to figure out how to post a photo.
ValerieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:00 PM   #13

This?
Robot Check
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:02 PM   #14

Atwood furnace cover

Hello it looks like I might have to just measure and use a generic cover. Thanks!
Old 02-29-2016, 12:51 AM   #15

If you're referring to the newer atwoods, then last I checked there is not a screen for it yet. I haven't checked recently. However there are a few for other areas that will go over the whole thing. I used one off of a Suburban water heater I had laying around. On the fridge vent, yes. You can buy the screens for it, but most times I just make my own which do a better job of keeping things out. Another place to keep an eye on is the roof fridge vent. Although it has a screen, it has rather large holes. I have had to go over that with smaller screen before.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 06:22 AM   #16

Atwood Furnace Bug Screen

John, thanks for letting me know that...I will get a good measurement and order one in the next couple of weeks. We are in the Northeast so there's a few weeks left til spring but it was 52 yesterday...so it's teasing us. When we bought the camper we went through the store looking for that cover and they said the manufacturer hadn't sent them yet. I assume they still haven't designed one yet since I can't find them online. I thought maybe I'd have to go with a generic camco. But really need to measure again. As far as the fridge we have several plastic striped vents like black plastic louvre style over it. They are solid though and don't move. I'm sure you know what I'm trying to describe. I'll have my husband look at the roof and see what we need. What did you use to cover both? And how did you do the fridge and still make it look nice? Do we remove the face plate and line with screen? If possible. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #17

On the sidewall fridge vent, I just used fiberglass screen, like you would put on a screen door. You do have to remove it to install, which is only 2 twist lock outfits. Not sure what they are called. I trim and hot glue the screen on the backside of it. From the outside, you don't even see it. It works well and is cheap. On the roof, not hard but a little more in depth. There are 4 screws that secure the vent cap on the roof fridge vent. You'll have to take a small screw driver or something and dig the sealant out of the 4 holes a little. Then just use a Robertson / square drive tool to remove the 4 screws. Once the cap is off, I just took aluminum screen with a finer mesh, like a screen door, trimmed it to fit, and again hot glued it around the perimeter. Then of course reinstall the cap with the 4 screws and fill the holes with self leveling sealant, or what ever you want. I use Dicor 501 for that application, just because it's easy to remove later. Hope this helps. I'll be home later this week from offshore and would be happy to post a picture if necessary. We no longer use our vent panel on the back of the fridge and have a CNC'd aluminum panel in its place. I installed a residential fridge, so no need for the back to be open really. I kept the vented panel just in case.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 03:54 PM   #18

Vent covers

Thanks so much for your help. I can totally envision what you are talking about doing so you don't have to take a photo. I do have a glue gun and we may have spare screen around here from replacing screen doors. So it's just a matter of sealing up those three openings. Can you think of any others we should check? Thank you.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:23 PM   #19

After I got stung putting my finger in the bumper cap hole I switched to these
Robot Check
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:57 PM   #20

Bumper caps

Ooh those are really nice bumper caps...I will have to order those as well. Ours continually come loose and are bound to get lost anyway. We will just keep those as spares. We have a ton of mud wasps that swarm the attic vents of our house above our deck and also try to nest in my shade umbrellas. So I'm sure they will find the camper this spring and summer. Hopefully we will be gone more than we are home. We just bought it last August. We did get three or four trips with it before we put it away. The last trip was cold. So I measured our vent cover for the furnace so I'll get that ordered. The little round vent sticks off a good bit more so I just made sure to account for that. We have had only minor issues so far thankfully. 1.) There doesn't seem to be any backing in the wall for the tv mount even though the sticker clearly marks the spot. So we left it on the table for now. I told him to borrow a stud finder and locate it. 2.) our antenna was stuck up two or three times. My husband installed a silicone ring to not allow to go up 101% and get stuck...that seems to have done the trick. 3.) the outside speakers do not come on and I can't seem to find the proper instructions to make them work. One would think Jayco would have just installed a switch for inside, outside or both. Our salesman has been no help and the company that provides them cannot understand this. They say the fade, balance button does it. Well no it does not. And last on our second or third trip while bathing the little ones water sprayed out the faucet snd all over the floor. He since checked the hose...it didn't seem to tighten but isn't spraying now. I also do not turn the water pressure up as high to help prevent that issue. I lay down a beach towel too just in case so we do not rot the floor or wallboard. (Sorry for the book).