Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-27-2021, 07:55 AM   #1

install a/c vent in lower bunk

We have a 2017 Jay Flight SLX 267BHSW and want to have an a/c vent installed in the lower bunk. Has anyone ever done that?
We got the plans from Jayco for the roof and walls and know where the vent and the duct work need to be placed.
We are thinking of coming in from the a/c line in the ceiling that feeds the upper bunk and bathroom vents and dropping a line down to the lower bunk, then putting a vent in there.
But before we pay someone to do this, we were wondering if anyone else has done it and how they went about it.
Thanks.
jactec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:06 AM   #2

We have similar trailer. I'm installing one of these next to the ladder. The 40CFM it moves is the same amount of air as a typical bathroom a/c duct in a home.

https://www.acinfinity.com/component...system-8-inch/

I'm torn between the one this link takes you to an and another one they have
Old 05-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. I will need to look into that.
Our bunks don't have a ladder, so I am not exactly sure where you are thinking of installing the unit. The base of our bunk area butts up against the pantry cabinet. Do you think that it would work if we installed it in the pantry? I wonder if the back of the unit were enclosed in a cabinet (and not exposed) if that would be enough air circulation to work properly.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:34 AM   #4

Where would you drop the line down? There isn’t room in the wall for it. You would have to build a conduit and cut a hole in the upper bunk to make it happen.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:52 AM   #5

When looking at the plans for the walls, there is a space that looks to be almost directly below the duct work in the ceiling. (At least it looks that way when you compare the two drawings.) The plan is for the installer to come down from the duct work in the ceiling through that wall space using flexible ductwork, and then attach to a vent/vent cover that would be installed just below the base of the upper bunk on the wall.
I am sure they will need to cut into the ceiling to attach the flexible ducting to the existing ductwork and there will be some repair work required. But if it will do the trick, I am willing to make the cosmetic repairs.
Just wondering if anyone had done anything like this and how they did it.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:05 AM   #6

Woodworker
Thank you for the information. We contacted AC Infinity and that fan (in the link you sent us) might just work. We need to figure out how to keep the pantry door open at night to allow for more air intake without impeding traffic flow - but that is a minor issue.
What is the other fan you mentioned that you are considering?
Thanks.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jactec View Post
Woodworker
Thank you for the information. We contacted AC Infinity and that fan (in the link you sent us) might just work. We need to figure out how to keep the pantry door open at night to allow for more air intake without impeding traffic flow - but that is a minor issue.
What is the other fan you mentioned that you are considering?
Thanks.
This one

https://www.acinfinity.com/component...system-6-inch/
Old 05-28-2021, 06:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
Here's the link to the different cabinet fans they have. If you poke around you'll see an array of choices but I've narrowed it down to these 2.........at this point anyway

https://www.acinfinity.com/quiet-cabinet-fans/
Old 06-28-2022, 02:44 PM   #9

Did the fans work?

I know this is an old post, but I found those on Amazon and wondered if you were able to get them to work? I have been trying to decide if they would work by cutting a hole in the dividing wall between the bunks/pantry, and installing there to pull air directly in from the main living area?
Elderfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 06:19 PM   #10

We just clamp a fan on the wall that separates the pantry from the bottom bunk and use the plug in the bottom bunk. A few little adhesive cord clips on the bottom of the top bunk keeps the power cord out of the way. Works good.
Roosevelt008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:17 AM   #11

We installed the cabinet fan last year - cut a hole in the dividing wall between the pantry and the lower bunk, mounted the fan, ran the cord through the hole in the wall and plugged it in to an outlet in the lower bunk. Keeping the pantry door open at night to pull in the cooler air was not a problem at all.
We also installed thick foam insulation on the underside of the lower bunk platform to keep the hot water heater from warming up the lower bunk area. We went in through the back storage area and used liquid nails to attach the foam to the underside, then on the topside we added a few screws to grip the foam from the top.
We had tried to use just a clip-on fan in the past, but it wasn't enough to keep the lower bunk cool w/ the curtain closed.
These modifications seemed to do the trick. Kept our son and daughter-in-law very cool and comfortable on our trip to the Outer Banks last August.
Old 07-10-2022, 08:04 PM   #12

Getting vent to lower bunk

I added space saving dryer vent ductwork through foot off bunk into ceiling and connected to a/c duct. Ordered matching vent lover and trimmed to fit ductwork. Works as well as other vents. Also used aluminum foil tape at each louver between ceiling and a/c duct and inside a/c between intake and exhaust and into ductwork. Fan mounted to ceiling for recirculating air before duct added, but helps move air better.
Attached Thumbnails
20220710_173755.jpg   20220710_174136.jpg   20220710_173555.jpg  
Mxmanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 01:59 PM   #13

that's the best fix I have came across. I was thinking of using a 2.5 piece of PVC pipe and connecting it in the bathroom and running it in the corner behind the door and popping it into the bunk with a hole saw the put a elbow on it.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 02:07 PM   #14

What is the airflow like in the bottom bunk with the rectangular ducting? How did you tie into the ductwork in the ceiling?
Roosevelt008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:03 PM   #15

Not a bad idea. The bathroom vent ductwork els into the upper bunk vent ductwork. Ductwork is 7" wide so you'd have a fairly big target. The space saving dryer vent is roughly 6.25" so not much room for error.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:09 PM   #16

Airflow is pretty much the same as the upper bunk vent and bathroom vent. Existing ductwork is 7" wide. Dryer vent is about 6.25. I measured center of existing vent in upper bunk. Then measure inside hole to find if existing ductwork is centered to vent or off like mine was. Razor knife or oscillating saw through ceiling panel and razor knife through foam ductwork. Tape between ceiling and foam duct with aluminum foil tape and slide duct about 2" into ceiling.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #17

Here’s the upgrade I just finished on my 287. Bought the dual 12” fans and added an outlet with a usb connection to power the fans. Was an simple process but had a few curves along the way. The original outlet at the base of the ladder is a self contained unit with no electrical box. Since there’s plenty of room I removed that one and installed an old work box with wood spacers since the walls are thin. Had to do the same to install the box in the bunk. There’s enough air flow in the bunk to push the curtain out. It keeps the temp in there within a degree of the rest of the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
BCEECB3D-E8AC-460D-AB5F-068F1C625E7D.jpg   0BFD5D6F-4D69-4080-B87D-5272DEAABB50.jpg  
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 03:21 PM   #18

I like the simplicity / clean look!
Old 08-09-2022, 05:07 PM   #19

Thank you. Yes I’m happy with how it looked when it was finished. I should of done it sooner.
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote