Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

Question installing a safe

I have been wondering if any one has ever installed a small safe inside of there trailer. Me and the DW have Ben discussing if this can be done. We love to camp at resort type places and always are concernd about leaving valuables such as money,camera's,I pods and tablets inside of the trailer. I was thinking of buying a small safe and bolting it to the floor on the inside of the bench seat any thoughts would be appreciated
outofhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:59 PM   #2

I imagine any kind of safe secured to a floor or fixture in an RV could be easily ripped out given materials used. I would opt for concealment rather than a safe. There are many items available online that offer convenient and easily accessible places for valuables with little or no chance for discover by a thief.

2006 GMC Sierra 3500, CCLB
2005 JayFlight 25RKS
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:01 PM   #3

We mounted a small gun safe to the floor. You can buy bolt that are hard to remove. Backed bolts with large washer on bottom side. The bottom line is if someone wants it they will get it.
Old 02-22-2014, 06:10 PM   #4

Thanks KReich that's what I would like to do was it hard to drill thru the floor such as plumbing,electrical or heating. Also have you had any problems with water getting thru ? Thanks
Old 02-22-2014, 06:44 PM   #5

Just make sure that once mounted you can get into the box. Both with the key and your hands..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #6

No went from the bottom up. Hardest part was getting in the sealed under belly. Putting it back together. You will go in and out a few times to make sure your in the right place. Also do it when the wife is gone. Really hit the fan when she realized I drilled holes in her new rv.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:08 PM   #7

Maybe I'm naïve. I've never figured folks would break into a camper, particularly when it is in an RV park. Has anyone had issues with a break-in? I've always figured between the fact that we are in an RV community and the standard door locks would be sufficient. Like I said, I may very well be, extremely naïve. Please post any theft or break in anecdotal evidence that it is a problem.

2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
2016 GMC Duramax Sierra 3500 HD Denali
4 Crown CR-235 6-volt batteries - 470 AH bank
3000 watt Magnum Energy MSH-3012 Tri Metric 2025
Cummins generator
Winegard Traveler DirecTV slimline HD SK-3005
Big Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:03 PM   #8

I know that in a way this may seem overly paranoid but last year we went to the upper peninsula of Michigan and stayed a nice campground but it seem that every one there was gone all day sightseeing just as we were so there really wasn't any one around. This just got us thinking about camp safety
Old 02-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #9

We do not have a safe. In the process of doing some modifications I located a few very good areas for concealment. For example the shelves are built up with two layers of paneling with a 1” thick framing in between. I lifted one of the panels (to pull some wires) that would make the shelf bottom. I carefully removed all the staples (about a million of them). The panel stays in place by gravity. I just lift the panel and place my wallet and any spare traveling money there. For my wife’s purse, when I removed the panel under our J-sofa, I found a spot near the water hear, with a little rearranging of Utilities, it slips into and it is completely out of sight.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:46 PM   #10

My Pinnacle came with a safe mounted under the bed. Does your bed lift up to access storage underneath?
rotjovi2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:39 AM   #11

I would think that using your vehicle as a place to store valuables would be more then sufficient in most cases....
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
I would think that using your vehicle as a place to store valuables would be more then sufficient in most cases....
Well sometimes...and then you don't really want all your eggs in that basket either...
Then the issue of hauling everything to the car...

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:58 AM   #13

I am in the process of installing a safe box in the floor of one cabinet in my POPUP trailer. I have tons of space under my OFF-ROAD POPUP floor and this one particular spot I can have a rather large storage box installed with a smaller access door. I also share the OUT-OF-SIGHT OUT-OF-MIND theory. The access door may or may not be lockable...

I only want this safe box to make some of my items that goes with my POPUP trailer to be more secure.

Any valuables along with our computers/tablets/cameras/wife's things will all go in my truck and go where we go.... This includes my 2KW Honda generator haha...

Aluminum frame doors are so easy using a large flat blade screwdriver to pry back to clear a dead bolt door lock. In my case the POPUP is so easy to reach through the side Velcro flaps and unlock my POPUP door from the inside. I do this alot of times when hauling in groceries etc. Sometimes easier to do this than sitting down the grocery bags and fumbling around in my pockets for the trailer key.

The large empty dog bowl with KILLER printed on the side with the large dog chain laying next too it unhooked is probably the best lock you can have. Who knows your dog is really a yapping Chihuahua or cute Bichon Frise...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #14

I had room to mount a large dual-lock gun safe under the rear bunk of my 26BH. There was plenty of room to attach it to the floor, laying on its back. I drilled holes through the back of the safe and used 20 or so drywall screws to attach it to the floor. I just made sure the screws were a little shorter than the thickness of the floor sheathing. I think the sheathing is 5/8" and I used 1/2" screws, so there was no chance of puncturing anything below the floorboards. Before I installed it I called Jayco, and even though they wouldn't guarantee that there would be no problems, they didn't think I would damage anything by using the short screws.

The safe is well hidden under the bunk, and it would take a lot of work to pry it up from the floor and remove it from the TT. As as alternate, you could just use several drywall screws to secure the plywood hatch under one of the beds. A thief might not want to take the time to remove the screws to see what's inside, and might not even be aware that there's a storage compartment under the bed if it's screwed down.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:56 AM   #15

I wonder if it would be easier to install an alarm system instead? They make several somewhat inexpensive wireless systems that would be much easier and a weigh a whole lot less than a safe. Imagine being inside a TT with a 120db siren going off. You'll want to get out of there very quickly.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:02 AM   #16

The trouble I see with loud alarms is it will most likely go off when no one is there to check on it Then your neighbor campers will have to put up with the noise until the batteries run down...

I'm more in favor with motion lights coming on but then you will probably get a note from the thief saying "thanks for the added lights - that was very thoughtful"...

I really just keep going back to "OUT OF SIGHT - OUT OF MIND" and hope for the best... Some guys say "don't sweat it - thats what insurance is for" We are always very conscious about putting up things and not leaving them sitting around here and there...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:20 AM   #17

Alarms need power, disconnect the power and no more alarm.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhouse View Post
Alarms need power, disconnect the power and no more alarm.
Most alarm systems have internal batteries which stay charged off of the mains. Taking power away won't affect it at all.

I would think most thieves are going to go for quick targets of opportunity. First and foremost I agree with the "out of sight out of mind" theory. I also would think that if a thief found your safe they are going to assume that you have something valuable to hide.

Now granted I didn't make thievery my career choice but I would think that if someone were to open the door to your TT and had a very loud alarm go off would run off into the woods to get away. The idea here is to NOT give them the time to root around in your TT.

Something that can also help is a alarm sticker on your door. While it may not deter all the low life's, it may give some pause as to weather or not to try.

Also I did spend a couple of my early years as a full time alarm installer so I am somewhat versed in their operation..

Anywho. . . Just throwing my .2c worth in.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #19

Whenever I leave my TT unattended I usually close the blinds and leave the radio on so it's just loud enough to hear from outside the trailer. If I'm going to be away at night, I leave the television on so there is sound and the flicker of the screen to deter thieves.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #20

Wonder about setting up a locked fake drawer in the bedroom that sprays a carbon base india ink when its forced open. Should be easy to find the person from there.

2016 36FBTS Pinnacle
2016 F350, 6.7, 4x4, DRW, long bed
B & W Companion 5th wheel Hitch
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote