Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2022, 07:51 PM   #1

Installing power inlet socket

For some things (blow dryers, for example) a direct connection through an external power cord keeps one from having to chase down thrown breakers. But snaking a cord in through a window carries with it other hazards.

So have any of you by chance installed a socket like or similar to the one at the link in your TT?

NOCO GCP1 15 Amp AC Port Plug, 125 Volt Power Inlet Socket, and Waterproof Electrical Outlet Receptacle Box with 16-Inch Integrated Outdoor Extension Cord

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ANV81S...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Other suggestions are of course welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Rick
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #2

Nope, just to my boat.
The cord would be ugly inside an RV.

Seems like you would be trying to fix an issue that doesn't exist.

Just don't use the microwave until you are through using the blow dryer... or cook outside.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #3

Understand fully the need for more power as you describe. I encounter this at winter camp when running 2 1500 watt electric heaters. I plug the heaters into separate breaker fed outlets, but as mentioned by @garywilson; you run the microwave or whatever else and the main blows.

So I do at times actually run a separate extension cord from the 50 amp (I am 30 amp) at the pedestal in through a window and plugged into a heater.

I personally dont see the benefit of the installed plugin device. If you are running a separate extension cord, it seems it isnt much less hazardess than extending that cord a bit farther inside.

Another option is if you have an open breaker slot in your panel to install a dedicated breaker and outlet, but then again; its the 30 amp max main concern.

You can also kludge up and unplug the microwave and plug stuff into that outlet to gain "free amps", if that may work.
dxrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #4

I had this inlet installed for my second ac.
ParkPower by Marinco RV Front Mount 20 Amp, 125V White Power Inlet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAYK48...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Itís installed by the factory 30 amp plug. And goes under the fridge to a small breaker box then back behind the fridge into the ceiling and to the second ac.

Our friends had the same installed except he also has a line ran into the bathroom for a hairdryer or curling iron.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 04:38 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggilbert View Post
I had this inlet installed for my second ac.
ParkPower by Marinco RV Front Mount 20 Amp, 125V White Power Inlet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VAYK48...ing=UTF8&psc=1

It’s installed by the factory 30 amp plug. And goes under the fridge to a small breaker box then back behind the fridge into the ceiling and to the second ac.

Our friends had the same installed except he also has a line ran into the bathroom for a hairdryer or curling iron.
Thanks to all for the feedback.

ggilbert I had looked at that one but had not seen the adapters. That's helpful.

My thought has been to do an install on the port (left) side so the power drop is accessible from underneath the dinette table (thus the value of the 16" inside cord). That would place the drop roughly centerline of the living space so a short inside cord could be run in either direction.

Given I bought a new TT and it's under warranty, when I conclude which way to go I will probably have the install done by a tech at the dealership.

Thanks again to all.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:17 PM   #6

With the fact that your trailer is brand new, just wondering if you are actually blowing the circuit breaker when using the hair dryer, or are you simply wanting to preclude a potential problem?

Although a hair dryer is one of the highest wattage draws of any electric appliance, most only draw around 10 amps+/-. So you really shouldn't be popping the circuit breaker unless you're running the microwave at the same time, especially with a new trailer.

You do have a good idea, but you might want to wait a while and save your money to see if you actually do have a problem. My guess is that you won't.
Old 04-07-2022, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Team

I used one like this in another 30a rig I had. https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-Mar...64&sr=1-1&th=1

I wired it to a breaker box and to a outlet near my WH. I terminated the ac from the rig that powered the WH and also the feed from the outside 15a input ( If the pedestal had one) and I could simply move the input from the camper ac or the extra wired supply. The biggest problem was drilling the hole thru the side for the power inlet!
That freed up a lot of current for the rigs breaker panel.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 08:12 PM   #8

Randall_J to date I have not thrown a breaker, but summer is coming!

The goal is to preempt the wife, two daughters, and a granddaughter in terms of electrical needs. Wish me luck.

norty1 thanks. I'm reading up on the options and saving links.
Old 04-08-2022, 06:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmyth View Post
Randall_J to date I have not thrown a breaker, but summer is coming!

The goal is to preempt the wife, two daughters, and a granddaughter in terms of electrical needs. Wish me luck.

norty1 thanks. I'm reading up on the options and saving links.
Smart manÖ
Old 04-08-2022, 06:56 AM   #10
Site Team

Good luck with figuring them out!
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:55 PM   #11

Empathy.
I have wife, two daughters, and three granddaughters.
So, I got a trailer comfortable for two.
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2022, 10:32 AM   #12

Oh! I see what you mean.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:22 PM   #13

Hereís my set up on my Greyhawk. 20 amp plug wired directly to a 20 amp GFCI plug using 12 gauge wire. Completely separate from the RV wiring system. The plug comes with a weather proof cover but I didnít need
it. Last two pictures are of a 15 amp on my previous Flaggstaff trailer.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6709.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	80548

Name:	IMG_6726.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	80549

Name:	IMG_4579.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	80550

Name:	IMG_4581.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	205.1 KB
ID:	80551
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 01:40 PM   #14

We put in an independent 115V plug for the same reason. It is dedicated to a high-draw item like a catalytic heater and it's a really great mod! Got the idea from this forum.

I bought a simple basic covered plug that fits into the side of the camper. I have a dedicated good-quality extension cord to go from power pedestal to auxiliary plug. From the inside it feeds a mounted GFI duplex receptacle via romex. Pretty easy job for our simple rig. Always scary to drill holes into the camper so I started with a 1/8" bit to make sure I had a good interior location then taped the outside area well and widened the hole with a hole saw.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2024, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
We put in an independent 115V plug for the same reason. It is dedicated to a high-draw item like a catalytic heater and it's a really great mod! Got the idea from this forum.

I bought a simple basic covered plug that fits into the side of the camper. I have a dedicated good-quality extension cord to go from power pedestal to auxiliary plug. From the inside it feeds a mounted GFI duplex receptacle via romex. Pretty easy job for our simple rig. Always scary to drill holes into the camper so I started with a 1/8" bit to make sure I had a good interior location then taped the outside area well and widened the hole with a hole saw.
I just installed this AUX line in for my electric heater.
Attached Thumbnails
20240427_180159.jpg   20240427_180140.jpg  
MrJeep is offline   Reply With Quote