Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-17-2015, 12:47 PM   #1

Installing wires for back-up camera

I haven't found this specific topic in the forums. I want to install the cables for my wired back-up camera on or in my 2012 Jayco Feather UltraLite X20E travel trailer. I want to avoid drilling any holes through the trailer's exterior, if at all possible. I can mount the camera with magnets on the back of the trailer. Any thoughts? Thanks.
John K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 01:07 PM   #2

I wouldn't trust a magnet unless it's a strong one. Depending on the bumper configuration and camera mount, you could try bolting the camera to a glass mount and use a set screw to attach it to the bumper. Rectangular Shape Glass Panel Shelf Clamp Holder Bracket Support Clip with Screw | eBay
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #3

I just install one on my 165 featherlite. It's fibreglass laminate etc. I screwed the camera mount to the top of the trailer not the side. Figured gravity would help hold it there. After i shallow drilled the holes I applied 3m 5200 marine sealant to the holes, dipped the screws in it and then sealed all edges of the mount with it. Not only is 5200 waterproof it's also an excellent adhesive. That camera will not be coming off easily. I then routed the cable down the passenger side edge securing it the same way with small white cable clamps. Blended in with the molding and gelcoat. Then I routed the cable under the trailer securing it with plastic tie wraps all the way to the front. I secured it to the gas line and used those pre existing holes in the frame to route it. That end had a factory installed plug that I hook into my suburban at the hitch. I had about 15 feet of extra cable I had to coilup and secure under the front of the trailer. I put it there for easy access it I ever need any of it. I purchased a Roscoe vision system off of Amazon. I pulled 966 miles each way a few weeks ago. System paid for itself on that trip. This system has a proprietary cable connection using aircraft style plugs that line up and screw into each other. The connection is waterproof and very secure. I was very happy with the setup and performance of the product. Best thing is it's an American company out of Long Island, Ny with people available to talk to should you have an issue.
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #4

Also all screws were high grade stainless steel. If 5200 keeps water off of and out of electronics on my boat it will do the same on a camper
tugboat95 is offline   Reply With Quote