Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2017, 08:59 AM   #21

Would you consider a used one?

USED 2007 Jayco JAY FLIGHT 27BH | Silverdale, WA
Old 10-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #22

If it was my own money I absolutely would buy used. Depreciation in the first few years on trailers is very steep. However, my insurance company is paying for this so that's no benefit to me saving a few of their dollars to get an older trailer unless it's got features or something I can't get new, which doesn't seem to be the case.

I'm a real cheap guy, so I'm all about buying used normally, but I'll make an exception when someone else is paying the tab.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:02 AM   #23

What insurance company? I may switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nighthawk87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:42 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Had a chat with the local Jayco dealer and she was saying that the axles and brakes are "way better" than what would be on my 2007. I know that one is tandem 3500 lb dexter axles. Is there really much improvement with the newer stuff or is that just sales talk?
I guess these newer ones are heavier, so it's probably tandem 5000 lb axles now?

Not surprisingly she was also talking up the 2 year Jayco warranty and how they are more reliable than a different brand she used to sell. They do seem to have a good reputation with people I meet.
That is funny... ask her how they are "better" than 2007's? what specifically makes them better??? nothing, that is what makes them better... Dexter and all the others make the same axles and brakes they have been making for the last 20 years... nothing is "better" they use the same Chinese made bearings, they aren't using SKS or others... they put the smallest axle under them that the trailer is rated for.. they don't put 2- 5000# axles on a 6500# trailer I can assure you of that...

Ask her if you need warrantee work what the wait time is at her dealership to get the work done? if she says no more than a week depending.. tell her put it in writing... not word of mouth.. in writing... We (company) will fix (your name) problems in 2 weeks or less... then to see if they are serious.. writing a binding contract, if (dealership/Jayco) can't fix it in 2 weeks or less you will give me a trailer to use until (your name) trailer is fixed... if they do that then you have a real warrantee otherwise just tell her to quit blowing smoke up your you know what...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:55 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post
Insurance is really region specific, and unless you are in Alberta Canada I doubt my company is relevant to you.

If you have a broker, ask them what would happen to you in the situation.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:31 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk87 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think most insurance companies offer full replacement cost coverage. If I remember correctly, the trailer has to new (or fairly new) when you request the coverage. For example, they do not offer the coverage on 1955 trailer that was sitting in a rain forest for the last 40 years. Of course that type of coverage costs more, that is why most people don't have it on all their stuff.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #27

I didn't have any extra coverage for full replacement costs or anything. It's a quirk of how this trailer was covered under my property insurance instead of vehicle insurance. This situation may not occur in other places with other companies.

Got the old one hauled away today finally. That took a lot longer than I expected. We did have two large snowstorms that had highways closed and that probably had something to do with the delay.
Guess I can get more serious about a new one now.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:21 PM   #28

what's everyone's opinion on the Baja package on the jay Flight SLX models? any drawbacks from that increased ground clearance? 16" tires instead of 15" I guess, and larger propane tanks (2x30# instead of 2x20#).
I know for my use I don't need the extra propane. Not sure of the value of the larger tires.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:29 AM   #29

Well, I might get kicked off the forum, but I have my replacement trailer now. After looking at the available options and some negotiation with my insurance company and the dealership, I finally picked one. I decided that the "most" trailer for zero dollars was the Grand Design Imagine 2400BH. I think if I wasn't so fixated on short overall length there were a number of other units that would have worked, but in the world of short Bunkhouse trailers, it's a pretty small selection.

All I've done so far is drag it to my storage spot, camping season around here starts in May.

I'll probably stick around on this forum (if you'll let me) because I've found the members here quite helpful, and honestly, most RV questions aren't brand specific.

Probably getting a different tow vehicle this spring too. Guess I can start dreaming on that too.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:47 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Well, I might get kicked off the forum, but I have my replacement trailer now. After looking at the available options and some negotiation with my insurance company and the dealership, I finally picked one. I decided that the "most" trailer for zero dollars was the Grand Design Imagine 2400BH. I think if I wasn't so fixated on short overall length there were a number of other units that would have worked, but in the world of short Bunkhouse trailers, it's a pretty small selection.

All I've done so far is drag it to my storage spot, camping season around here starts in May.

I'll probably stick around on this forum (if you'll let me) because I've found the members here quite helpful, and honestly, most RV questions aren't brand specific.

Probably getting a different tow vehicle this spring too. Guess I can start dreaming on that too.
Congrats and please do hang around! I think you will be hard pressed to find another RV forum like this one. I haven't.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:55 AM   #31

Congratulations on the new TT. You are always welcome to participate on this forum, with or without a Jayco.

I looked at one of their 5vers last year at the camping show. If I was in the market for a new 5ver, it might have come home with me.

Happy camping!

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote