Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #1

Insurance replacement for 2007Jay Flight 27BH - what's current equivalent / upgrade?

Hi, recently got news from my insurance company they they are declaring my 2007 Jay Flight 27BH a total loss.
So this means I need to go shopping for a new trailer with their money.
My needs are a bunk model with a separate "master" bedroom, under 10,000 lbs loaded weight, and max length is around that 28 foot mark (actual length 32 feet I know).

Would be awesome if I could get something with a "real" queen 60x80 mattress because that's a major issue with my wife, and I think I'm keeping her longer than the trailer.

A few questions about the current model year:
- What's the equivalent to the Jay Flight 27BH? I don't see that one on the website, seems like the smallest/ Cheapest Jay Flight is the 28BHS. Would the WhiteHawk or Jay Feather be more similar to my "lower end" ten-year-old Jay Flight?

Also, am I reading this right that in terms of price/features in the current Jayco Travel Trailer line it goes Jay Feather -> WhiteHawk ->Jay Flight SLX -> Jay Flight -> Eagle?

I'm not too fussed about fancy interior decorations, but I do care quite a bit about the "bones" of the trailer. I've had to spend some time messing with brakes and suspension on previous trailers, so do the higher versions have stronger frames/axles/brakes or other features that will make for a more reliable unit? I'm not too fussed about a few extra pounds of weight (within reason). Sure seems like the tanks get larger on the higher end units.

I'm new around here so if there's a thread that covers some of this, just point me to it and I'll take a look. I did a quick search but didn't see what I wanted.
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:05 AM   #2

Just messing around on the Jayco site is seems like the SLX 264 BHW may be closest to what I currently have.

Really liking the look of the SLX 242 BHSW. That slide and the U-dinette would make it feel bigger, and the couple of feet shorter would be handy in one spot I am in regularly.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
Site Team

Jayflight 26Bh and SLX 264Bh same floor plan, but the Jayflifght has more standard features, more orderable options, and is more $ then the SLX line. Eagles are top of the food chain but there are no Eagles with a similar floorplan.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:44 AM   #4

After reading numerous posts on this Forum I would NOT consider any trailer with a "laminate" floor. Too many posts of soft spots and such. Although I may be wrong, I think the SLX has this type of floor. Many much more knowing than I can better answer your questions but for me , the Whitehawk line, 2016 and up, would be my first choice.
Lolead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #5

Yeah, there are two parts to this process. Firstly finding out what's "equivalent" for my insurance company since that's how much they'll pay. Then deciding what I actually want to buy with that much money.

I'm really familiar with automotive insurance replacements, but the world of RV's seems to be more confusing.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:30 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Yeah, there are two parts to this process. Firstly finding out what's "equivalent" for my insurance company since that's how much they'll pay. Then deciding what I actually want to buy with that much money.

I'm really familiar with automotive insurance replacements, but the world of RV's seems to be more confusing.
Yeah you will not get a 2018 with what they will allow you for a 2007, lol. You would have to look at the used market. There is an NADA site that values used RV`s that may give you an idea what they will give you.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:58 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
With insurance there are a couple of options to insure; Same model replacement value or the depreciate cash value. Whatever you are insured for.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #8

Yes, I'm covered for same model brand new replacement cost, not the depreciated value, which obviously is much lower. In my case value of the old trailer is about 1/3 of the new one, so it's handy that I'm covered for full replacement cost.

Not all policies do this, and RV insurance works very differently in different areas. Honestly, I didn't realize I had this type of coverage until this week.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #9

Had a chat with the local Jayco dealer and she was saying that the axles and brakes are "way better" than what would be on my 2007. I know that one is tandem 3500 lb dexter axles. Is there really much improvement with the newer stuff or is that just sales talk?
I guess these newer ones are heavier, so it's probably tandem 5000 lb axles now?

Not surprisingly she was also talking up the 2 year Jayco warranty and how they are more reliable than a different brand she used to sell. They do seem to have a good reputation with people I meet.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:10 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Be careful with sales people they want to sell you something. Take your time with shopping. I would first wait what the cash payment is on your loss. Then start shopping for a late model used one what has all the bugs and warranties fixed. (new is not always better and finding one with a full length mattress, hope you're lucky)
Production demand is high so new ones could have issues. There's lot on sale on KiJiJi too this fall and every fall and you might find a bargain (means cash in your pocket). About the axles, I think they are still the same on a similar unit or less it depends on the GVW figure, but they will be in legal required terms. Good luck in finding a replacement.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Yes, I'm covered for same model brand new replacement cost, not the depreciated value, which obviously is much lower. In my case value of the old trailer is about 1/3 of the new one, so it's handy that I'm covered for full replacement cost.

Not all policies do this, and RV insurance works very differently in different areas. Honestly, I didn't realize I had this type of coverage until this week.
In that case you are sitting pretty. I thought they only did that for the first five years but obviously not....Go pick one out, lol.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:02 PM   #12

ALJO, I do agree that you often can't trust a saleperson as far as you can throw them. I will have all my payments confirmed before I go too far. I also won't be letting the wife set foot into anything until I have confirmed that it's in my budget. Otherwise this "free new trailer" could get awfully expensive!

Crabman, I'm not an expert on insurance, but it seems that different companies do this differently in different geographies. Lots of insurance stuff is different up in Canada, but this particular situation is unusual even here.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:31 PM   #13

Your trailer only weights 5000lb, I have the 2006 model...would you really consider doubling your weight? That is a lot of trailer to tow.
drew2fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew2fast View Post
Your trailer only weights 5000lb, I have the 2006 model...would you really consider doubling your weight? That is a lot of trailer to tow.
I'm not hoping to get anything that weighs 10,000 lbs, but I figured I'd set an upper limit somewhere.
My trailer weighs around 7000lbs loaded, I've had it across the scale and confirmed this. No idea what the "listed" dry weight of that trailer is. I usually assume going down the road with gear and beer every trailer is pretty close to the maximum rated weight capacity. Seems like most of the things I've been looking at are a touch heavier than my old rig, like 8500 lbs loaded.

There's a lot more stuff in these newer trailers from what I see as well, so they are more weight per foot than the older ones.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #15

Pretty cool coverage.

Personally, I would try to first pick out an equivalent model, for the reimbursement. Get the check in hand. Then start looking for your new rig. It's fall, and you won't be using it for months.

Right now the dealers might want to deal as it is getting to be the end of year. But wait, when the rv shows happen over the winter months the price really drops, and you could make out like a bandit.

Good luck.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:29 PM   #16

The equivalent of your 27BH is the current 26BH. It is essentially the same exact trailer. Here's our old 2007 27BH. The 27 BH model # only changed options above and beyond the 26BH. Our 27BH had surround sound, extra cabinets above the couch, etc. 27 and 26 are the same trailer besides options.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4111.JPG  

2001 Ford F-150 4x4 5.4

2012 Prime Time Tracer 2670BHS (sold)
2017 White Hawk 28DSBH (*Special Ordered w/ almost all the options in 10/16. Delivered on 5/19/17)
oldnnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #17

Well got the insurance company to agree to a quote for a brand new trailer being "of similar like, kind and quality", so my budget is set. Some paperwork needs to go through, but I'll be starting serious shopping quite soon.

Up here in the great white north, I would assume dealers would be pretty motivated to make sales of anything sitting on the lot at this time of year. Normally nobody would be buying until springtime right?
Old 10-27-2017, 10:02 PM   #18

Nice Ins. coverage!!!

What caused the old trailer to be totaled?

A Smart phone is one that is NOT in your hand while driving!
64osby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:31 PM   #19

It was hail, which is really common around here. The damage appraiser figured that every single piece of the exterior tin siding would be replaced. I didn't get a copy of the repair estimate, but I imagine the labour alone would be thousands of dollars for a job like that.

I actually have great luck with hail, I've had four different hail claims on trucks over the years before this one, and often i don't even get the damage repaired, I just take a cheque. Of course, it helps that I usually drive older trucks that aren't too pretty to start with. they match thier owner that way . . .
Old 10-29-2017, 03:43 PM   #20

Probably blasphemy around this forum, but if you had to pick a brand other than Jayco, what ones would you look at?

Just want to make sure I'm investigating all my options here.

On another note, I think I mentioned I'm trying to get a little bit shorter, but it sure seems that my 2007 Jay Flight had a ton of cabinet space, and all the newer trailers have quite a bit less. Maybe I can learn to be a minimalist? Maybe not.