Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #1

Interesting Dealer Issue

I bumped into an odd issue today. We recently moved to a new state and when i called the local Jayco dealer (only one within 100 miles) i was told their policy is to not work on units that were not purchased from them. They claim it is a conflict of interest. They were very friendly, and said they would consider and get back to me, but just odd.
Trailer is still under warranty.
I would think that being an authorized Jayco dealer, they have an obligation to support all customers, directly or indirectly.

Anyone have a thought here?
Brobri01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brobri01 View Post
I bumped into an odd issue today. We recently moved to a new state and when i called the local Jayco dealer (only one within 100 miles) i was told their policy is to not work on units that were not purchased from them. They claim it is a conflict of interest. They were very friendly, and said they would consider and get back to me, but just odd.
I would think that being an authorized Jayco dealer, they have an obligation to support all customers, directly or indirectly.

That is not unusual. The RV industry is not the same as the auto industry, every dealer is independent as they sell multiple brands. Those who bought there are the ones that come first. JAYCO may have an independent service center in the area that they work with. Give them a call.
Old 09-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #3

I’ll bet if you needed a nice money making repair out of warranty they’d roll out the red carpet.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:52 PM   #4

When the next downturn in the economy hits, and these dealers no longer have people lined up the door, i suspect policies will change
Brobri01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 04:56 PM   #5

Quote:
When the next downturn in the economy hits, and these dealers no longer have people lined up the door, i suspect policies will change
Been that way for years, even before the "big boom" in sales. Heard of people being asked, "Did you buy it here"? years ago.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 PM   #6

I got the same story from not only the dealer we purchased the RV from, but 2 others I tried to get service from because when I tried to get in for some routine service it took my home RV dealer said it would take 6 weeks. When I talked to them they said they were extremely busy and only doing warranty/service work and with few exceptions not doing any upgrades to the trailers. To me, if you're that "busy" you need a few more mechanics.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:19 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaw View Post
I got the same story from not only the dealer we purchased the RV from, but 2 others I tried to get service from because when I tried to get in for some routine service it took my home RV dealer said it would take 6 weeks. When I talked to them they said they were extremely busy and only doing warranty/service work and with few exceptions not doing any upgrades to the trailers. To me, if you're that "busy" you need a few more mechanics.
They do need more mechanics,techs. The dealer I purchased from has been advertising openings for RV techs and other positions all season. But needing them and finding them........ As Mike Rowe has been screaming, not many want to take up trades anymore.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
But needing them and finding them........ As Mike Rowe has been screaming, not many want to take up trades anymore.
And then only half of those who do apply can pass a drug test.
Old 09-08-2019, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
They do need more mechanics,techs. The dealer I purchased from has been advertising openings for RV techs and other positions all season. But needing them and finding them........ As Mike Rowe has been screaming, not many want to take up trades anymore.
Off topic.....believe me, I am the HVAC residential service operations manager at the company I work for. It’s extremely difficult to find service technicians. Finding experienced technicians are even harder to come by. Most of the technicians I interview for positions either don’t want to be on call or they want to put their 8hrs in and go home. The HVAC Service industry is a well paying trade too.
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:41 AM   #10

Whenever I've needed service, I make a point of looking at expensive retail products and then ask about service. If I'm told "we only service what we sell" I walk over to a salesman, point to what I've been looking at (but not really planning on buying) and say very loudly " I had been thinking about buying this $1300 generator but since your service department won't work on a unit not sold here, you just lost a big sale!". Normally he will run and get service to work on the TT but the damage is done with customers at the store hearing what I said and I'm asking them for recommendations. Most of the time someone can give me a name or two which 1) is less expensive and 2) a more professional job. One person even ran a come to you RV service and met us at a local campground he suggested (campground owner allows him to work on site), met us about 4 hours later and took care of the issue for about 1/2 of what the dealer would have charged and even took the time to explain how I should take care of a minor problem so I could save even more.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:

They are individually owned dealerships so cannot be forced to work on anyone's unit. However, the manufacturer has a vested interest in making customers happy. I would think they would put considerable pressure on them to take care of these. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't want to work on one is if Jayco isn't paying them for the work.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell5263 View Post
The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't want to work on one is if Jayco isn't paying them for the work.
That policy usually applies to all the Brands they sell not just JAYCO. They only service what they sell when it comes to warranty.

If they sell 5 brands they would get pressure from all 5...that is a bogus argument.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:10 PM   #13

They are paid, or should be, by the manufacturer for warranty repairs. Now, if they are so busy they can only keep up with repairs for customers who purchased from them then it makes some sense. But There is a lot of money to be made on the parts and service side, especially after the manufacturers warranty expires. It doesn't make sense to alienate customers simply because they purchased somewhere else...especially when they lived in another area. However, they have the right to choose how to do business.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #14

Quote:
They are individually owned dealerships so cannot be forced to work on anyone's unit. However, the manufacturer has a vested interest in making customers happy. I would think they would put considerable pressure on them to take care of these. The only reason I can think of why they wouldn't want to work on one is if Jayco isn't paying them for the work.
Labor rates for warranty work are significantly lower than for normal repairs and sometimes are based on a standard rate for item repaired rather than hourly rate. The reduced labor rate is often, not always, the reason dealers do not service units they do not sell until (magic word) the repairs are no longer warranty related. Once the warranty is expired and you're paying for the repairs they will gladly take your dollars.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #15

Quote:
They are paid, or should be, by the manufacturer for warranty repairs. Now, if they are so busy they can only keep up with repairs for customers who purchased from them then it makes some sense. But There is a lot of money to be made on the parts and service side, especially after the manufacturers warranty expires. It doesn't make sense to alienate customers simply because they purchased somewhere else...especially when they lived in another area. However, they have the right to choose how to do business.
You hit the nail on the head... They are too busy to service "non customers" been that way for many years due to the lack of Technicians and in many cases shop space. The same way customers get taken care of first after warranty is up. Many people will not do their own winterizing yet alone repairs.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Labor rates for warranty work are significantly lower than for normal repairs and sometimes are based on a standard rate for item repaired rather than hourly rate. The reduced labor rate is often, not always, the reason dealers do not service units they do not sell until (magic word) the repairs are no longer warranty related. Once the warranty is expired and you're paying for the repairs they will gladly take your dollars.
True, manufacturers pay less for parts and labor than a normal customer so they always prefer "CP" business. But, it still comes down to what makes a good business decision. If I have to take my tt to the shop for a warranty repair and they refuse to work on it simply because I purchased it somewhere else, then they definitely won't get my money for parts, accessories or service AFTER the warranty expires. Again, their right to decide how to run their business, OUR right to decide who to spend our money with.

Car dealerships used to do the same thing, until it started affecting their bottom line.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #17
Site Team

Talking

Quote:
True, manufacturers pay less for parts and labor than a normal customer so they always prefer "CP" business. But, it still comes down to what makes a good business decision. If I have to take my tt to the shop for a warranty repair and they refuse to work on it simply because I purchased it somewhere else, then they definitely won't get my money for parts, accessories or service AFTER the warranty expires. Again, their right to decide how to run their business, OUR right to decide who to spend our money with.

Car dealerships used to do the same thing, until it started affecting their bottom line.
I've also often wondered why keeping customers happy is not more of a priority, if they can find a way to fit you in. If you piss off a potential customer, you lose them forever, not just for warranty concerns. And then there is word of mouth from disgruntled customers, telling all their friends and relatives about their unpleasant experience. That can't be good for business, long term.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #18

Quote:
I've also often wondered why keeping customers happy is not more of a priority, if they can find a way to fit you in. If you piss off a potential customer, you lose them forever, not just for warranty concerns. And then there is word of mouth from disgruntled customers, telling all their friends and relatives about their unpleasant experience. That can't be good for business, long term.
But if you put "short term" or warranty only in front of "life long" customers you lose even more, and that's the big issue. Most who only want warranty could have bought from you to begin with, but went elsewhere.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:06 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
But if you put "short term" or warranty only in front of "life long" customers you lose even more, and that's the big issue. Most who only want warranty could have bought from you to begin with, but went elsewhere.
Well sure you have to take care of your customers first. But they should be diplomatic in dealing with those that did not buy from them. If they can fit them in and impress them with good customer service they might win a new customer for life. Maybe not. If they are booked solid for months then there's nothing they can do about it and you tell them that straight out, instead of the heavy handed scare tactic of you bought it somewhere else we won't service it. But we all know that many are finding it difficult to get timely and quality service done even from their original dealer for reasons already discussed in this thread. Too many RVs for the amount of service bays and trained, competent techs.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #20

Quote:
.... But we all know that many are finding it difficult to get timely and quality service done even from their original dealer for reasons already discussed in this thread. Too many RVs for the amount of service bays and trained, competent techs.
Maybe they'd have enough techs for the workload if the quality of new RV's was higher? But nevermind, that will never happen.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote