Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2017, 01:16 PM   #1

Internet Access

What solution is there for internet access while boondocking? I have yet to find one that will successfully run the Amazon firestick or Apple TV while camping. Thanks in advance.
rtiedeken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

I don't think you are going to find any solution for that. For that matter, very few RV parks have wi-fi that will support that type of use. And I don't think you're likely to find a cellular connection that will, either. Satellite is out of the question.
chasfenwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #3
Site Team

Boon docking and internet.... not really much you can do as the movies will kill any data plan (unlimited data plans excluded, unless they restrict your bandwidth after you use x amount of data).

The Wi-Fi signal extenders work for about 1.5 miles, but you need to have some AP providing data.

Cell service may be iffy anyway, depending on where you at boon docking.

My solution is.... I copied all my DVD's (183) to an external hard drive. I use a Raspberry Pi 3 (small computer, the size of a cigarette pack) with Kodi running on it, to display the movies on the TT's tv, yes in HD.

Movies are about 5-6Gig in size, so you can see how a data plan will suffer.

More and more CG's are getting smart and blocking the sites used for streaming video. Some are even blocking the use of VPN, and Wi-Fi signal extenders. Can't blame them as 50 or 100MBPS for a campground, will not go very far if there are a lot of people streaming video.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #4

I just bought a small LG Blue Ray player for $42 free shipping from Walmart. We carry a bunch of DVDs/BlueRay movies with us. We really don't watch until just before bed. Or if it's pouring buckets.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #5

I currently do the DVD player as well. We don't watch too much TV when camping but I need sound to fall asleep...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 05:35 PM   #6

Oxymoron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiedeken View Post
What solution is there for internet access while boondocking? I have yet to find one that will successfully run the Amazon firestick or Apple TV while camping. Thanks in advance.
Boondock:
* To camp in a dry brushy location.
* To stay in a recreational vehicle in a remote location, without connections to water, power, or sewer services.

This implies you'll be as far away from society as possible. That being said, your options for ANY communications will be very limited. Focusing on "Internet" access, you could consider these options:
* Cellular data service - Cell phone towers are everywhere around cities and major corridors. After that, you're limited by the radio signal. There are things you can do to boost reception/gain but there are limitations and may not be cost effective.
* WIFI - Typically this isn't available when boondocking. You would need a high gain directional antenna and the ability to connect. Then consider any bandwidth limitations as it relates to what you're trying to do.
* HAM radio - Requires radio for packet relay from repeater. Will require HAM radio license and associated fees.
* Satellite - Equipment costs are high and requires subscription service. Best "boondocking" option but not cost effective.

If it's just movies you're after, grab some old DVDs and forget the internet. You still need to consider power requirements. If you're boondocking you'll have limited generator use. Solar may be the only viable option if you're ready to invest in a good system. Even with that, there are limitations (power stored vs. used). Unless you're on the lamb or it's the Zombie Apocalypse, your best option is to keep close to the city and use FREE WIFI.
Old 07-12-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Site Team

You could dry-camp in the Walmart parking lot... they have FREE Wi-Fi, wait so does Home Depot, Lowes, McDonald's and the list goes on

I have used them all, feeling no guilt as I drop a lot of $$ to each of them over the year.

Don
Old 07-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #8

Streaming video while boondocking is pretty difficult without a massive data plan and a huge investment in signal boosters.

Buy a small android box or PC and rip your DVD's and other movies to the hard drive. You can them use Kodi or PLex to stream to all your other devices.

Netflix and Amazon will allow you to download content for offline viewing, so you can hit a Starbucks or Mc'D's every few days, leach off their WiFi and download a bunch of content to view offline.
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:55 PM   #9

If money is no object, go to Wally-Mart and buy a Straight Talk HotSpot. Cost $49.95. Be sure to get the one that operates on Verizon towers cuz the AT&T one sucks. Then buy all the gigs you want at $10 per gig.

We use one of these when we are out and about but only for internet access for the computers. Our phones are pay-as-you-go and turning them into a hotspot is verboten.

Murff

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
If money is no object, go to Wally-Mart and buy a Straight Talk HotSpot. Cost $49.95. Be sure to get the one that operates on Verizon towers cuz the AT&T one sucks. Then buy all the gigs you want at $10 per gig.

We use one of these when we are out and about but only for internet access for the computers. Our phones are pay-as-you-go and turning them into a hotspot is verboten.
This is exactly what we do. Straighttalk router for data (I don't stream much however) and Tracfone for comms. I keep the router active year round so when my home ISP goes dark I still have internet.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:46 PM   #11

+1 on Amazon offline viewing. We have the app and view from the IPad via HDMI cable adapter.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Then buy all the gigs you want at $10 per gig
An hour of streaming Netflix or Amazon is 1.5 gigs of data. That would be one heck of an expensive TV habit
SmackIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #13

Anyone else think this may be an indication of what is wrong with todays society? Long gone are the days of actually talking to each other, maybe even meeting a stranger and making a friend. I have a hot spot on my phone mainly to check EMail or visit this site. But, as with today we were outside talking the whole day...enjoyable and enriching. Tv ? guess we get a few over the air channels, MeTV, AntennaTV etc...some good old shows but rarely watch.. actually can't think of any shows or movies I would trade a nice fire and a good conversation, either with the wife or others

Perhaps it just me...but I really don't miss TV at all.

I hope you can figure out how to boondock with all the amenities of your home...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 10:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
Anyone else think this may be an indication of what is wrong with todays society?

No.
It's an indication that you and I are just old.
pconroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 06:49 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
....actually can't think of any shows or movies I would trade a nice fire and a good conversation, either with the wife or others
A NICE FIRE will put me in the hospital.... my lungs can not handle smoke any longer... some of the conversations lately have been with fellow campers that talk just to hear themselves talk and walk around the CG looking for victims that are forced in to listening.

So, every night in the summer (week ends) when the city folk arrive and light their smoky fires using wet wood, I need to retreat to a closed up TT with the AC running. Am I the only one with this issue, no there are 3 others here that have the same issue.

The part I do not understand is how the parents let little 2 and 3 year old kids inhale the smoke that is possibly messing up their lungs.

Do I complain, nope there is a lot of good history channel information, and 183 of my movies to chose from. So in my case technology is a way of making it through the weekends.

In the morning I open the door to the smell of wet burnt lumber and go about my outside business of intermingling with fellow campers and avoiding the yackers.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 07-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #16

I carry the VERIZON MIFI unit and this is just for keeping in contact with the kids, paying a few nills, and some surfing of the internet. Also like to watch the weather forecast for the area if we are in a zone that no local HDTV can be picked up using our OTA Batwing antenna.

We also carry movies etc and use our DVD player for those...

We camp off-road alot and like to do outdoor things all day long doing something outside...

After supper at around 6PM each day then we like to catch up on the local weather and watch some news things on the HDTV. then from 8PM to 11PM we have our HDTV hooked up to a local station using our BATWING antenna. This is when we like to connect to the internet and check in with the kids and follow a few of my forums like this one etc...

My mifi box is an older model and my cellphones do not downstream anything or provide a private WIFI signal... We make it just fine on our Verizon MIFI account which is on a 3GB data plan...

If I updated my old Motorola DROID cellphone I could do the same thing just using it as a private WIFI interface. My MIFI box has an outside antenna setup and we get a good 200 feet zone aroound our campsite for private and password controlled WIFI service signal for up to five of our mobile devices... We do not have to depend on any WIFI signals coming from the camp grounds or local outside sources like McDonalds or WALmart etc...

We gave up on the campground WIFI internet years ago... My MIFI unit does surprising well setup in my truck as well with it's outside antenna and Wilson Sleek cradle. We use this alot when in actual travel mode with using our laptop or tablets while traveling down the road... VERIZON signals are just about every where for us to use... If our cell phones works then know the Verizon MIFI box will work as well...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:32 AM   #17

We have US cellular unlimited talk text and data but data is called unlimited but its 22 gig per phone. We setup a hotspot to share data to the Roku box and watch movies on the TV in the RV. We can stream 5-7 movies per phone. We pay only $125 including tax for both phones not each phone per month it has been working very well for us. We camp about 45 days per year. We live and camp in the Midwest.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote