Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2017, 04:01 PM   #1

Internet options

Just bought our first Jayco travel trailer and we are looking to find out the best internet options. Satellite, cable, via the cell phone provider. What's the best? We are living in our trailer so it needs to be reliable.
Angoodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #2
Site Team

Where are you living in your TT? CG? Boon Docking? What is available in your area? Have cell phone service? How many bars (on the cell phone)?

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:09 PM   #3

Congratulations on your first Jayco and welcome to the forum.

When you ask for 'The Best' you are going to find many opinions. Most of us in the JOF will have no idea what options you have in Skagway.

What are you using now and is it working well for you?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #4

We are currently parked at an RV camp ground that has really bad wifi. We are in Oregon for the winter and Alaska in the summer. So currently Oregon. The coastal area. Verizon and AT&T work best in Alaska.
I guess we are looking for best service, most reliable, for a reasonable cost. Looking at our options right now. We bought it last week so we haven't had any internet service yet.
Angoodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

As you already found out, in campgrounds you're likely to find WiFi is a hit or miss (mostly miss) proposition. Campground WiFi MAY have been able to handle e-mail once-upon-a-time, but today most of them don't have the bandwidth to handle movies etc.

When camping, our internet use is minimal. We use our AT&T smartphones, but don't watch movies etc. with our very low data-limit plan.

Sorry. That's not much help.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
Site Team

In your spare time, look around the CG to see where the Access Points (Internet transmitters) are located, you will probably find that your camp site is probably a little ways away from them. If you can ask the CG owner/manager if you can relocate to a spot closer to the AP. This may help your internet performance. Ideally about 50' from the AP will give you the best signal, any closer the signal may go over you, as it is like an umbrella.

Are there a lot of campers in the CG?

You can do a test by either connecting to the internet around 6 in the morning or about midnight, a lack of users. If your internet experience improves, it is a matter of band width, if it is the same... it is crappy service, or you are to far away.

Is the service the same outside, as being inside will reduce signal strength.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 10-15-2017, 06:14 PM   #7

Issues with internet in Skagway.

Limited view of satellites due to mountains. Also the download capability from satellite is much faster than you will ever be able to upload.

Cable is probably restricted, depending on your location. Plus you may not be able to get connected depending on your location and their contract agreements.

And from experience, most southeast AK providers really have limited bandwidth. Data can get very expensive very quick. And they can limit your data usage, throttling you down as you more.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 09:10 PM   #8

Not sure how T-Mobile is in your area but it would be a good option, if you have coverage. There unlimited plans are pretty cheap plus they give you Netflix and don't count data, Binge On, used on a lot of streaming sites against your high speed allotment. You get something like 30 gb before they slow you down. Service is also good in parts of Europe and Asia that I've visited.

××× I'm not affiliated in any way with T-Mobile. I am only a customer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ch.rungood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:37 AM   #9

We use the phone and do a hotspot. We have 2 phone's unlimited everything on the us cellular system we pay $121 for both with tax. They throttle at 22 Gig per phone. It works very well for movies and emails, general google search's.
2015 Silverado 2500
rodro123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:19 AM   #10

We went with Verizon as they have coverage most places we go to. Unlimited plan. Yes, when using the phones it is full speed unlimited.

If you use your phone as a hotspot the hotspot will be throttled after 15GB per month, per phone. Same for MiFi modules.

FWIW, even after throttling I get decent internet speed. Good enough for some youtube video quality stuff. We average about 70GB per month with our two phones. I am surfing and doing forum/email stuff right now at the throttled speed.

PS we do not have satellite TV so we also use the phones for that. Screen mirroring to watch on the TV. Throttling does not affect that, but, TV screen quality is not great.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 05:23 AM   #11

Hi check with TechnoRV, they sell several options for boosting the Wi-Fi siginal both reciving, and transmitting. They have several options including the Alpha Camp Pro which includes an Antenna, which connects to a router inside your camper, you connect your WiFi capable devices to the router (password secured if you choose) and access WiFi through it ! Like I say they have several options this just being a all in one package of matched components. The price is around the $140-150 range.
I will say this, don't do as I did and try to save $30-40 and buy from Am___n, as you will have NO, customer service ! TechnoRV step by step setupinstructions, as well as phone support on all the products they sell, they are RVers as well and run their business from the road, so they understand your problems and concerns.
I know I wish I had bought from them, as I have issues with my Camp Pro ( self Induced) from time to time, it when it's working it is amazing to see all the WiFi access points it picks up, some of which I know is a mile or so away.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #12
Site Team

Wi-Fi signal extender and Cell phone signal booster information

Wi-Fi Signal Extender:
There are some issues that technology will help and some it will not help.
- Poor CG Wi-Fi signal due to MANY campers (bandwidth) - WiFi signal extender will not help you out
- Poor CG Wi-Fi signal (Cheap/Old CG AP equipment)- a Wi-Fi signal extender MAY help you out, only as good as the AP signal quality
- Weak CG Wi-Fi signal - A Wi-Fi signal extender WILL help you out
- Distance from CG's AP, A Wi-Fi signal extender will help (line of sight)
- Poor Cell Phone service (distance from cell tower) a Cell Signal will increase signal in most cases
- Using IE: MiFi with poor cell service will not produce acceptable Wi-Fi service in most cases. May work but very slow. I have one for a backup... have not used in at least 2 years.
- Satellite dish for internet- could be expensive if you use a lot of data but if interested search the internet for HughesNet Gen5.
- Cell phone signal booster- can help cell service signal and if you use it as an AP for your internet connection.

With all that said:
I have the Wi-Fi signal Extender (around $100) and it works great in most CG's, or Big Store parking lots (Home Depot, Walmart...). Some CG's are using technology to block the use of Wi-Fi signal extenders because if not set up correctly, they try to lock on to the CG's AP and it causes problems for other users. Line of site my EnGenius ENS202EXT (external Omni directional antenna) is good for 1.5 miles (line of sight). This is a commercial grade signal booster, I installed many of them when I was working and never had any issues, they also have a GREAT support system. Make sure the system you select has an EXTERIOR antenna.

Cell Phone Signal Booster:
I just purchased a Uniden Cellular signal booster ($500) this summer. We are located in a valley with 4K' mountains around us, 4+ miles from the cell tower. Dropped calls, not able to send pictures, txt messages do not get sent/received. 1 bar max.
After installing the Cell Signal booster with Directional antenna, 4 bars, no dropped calls, send/receive all text and pictures. DW very happy. One point to remember, we are 4+ miles away from the cell site, on normal days we have 4 bars, I did notice that when the CG was filled for the fair, with all the extra phones (about 150 additional RVers in the CG) we dropped to 3 bars, but still GREAT connections. Wi-Fi (bandwidth) was affected by all the additional campers.

In either case ONLY use External antennas.
DW is happy with both units.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Old 10-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #13

We use Unlimitedville for our internet on the Red plan. It goes through Verizon but is truly unlimited. We’ve used hundreds of gigs per month without fail.

It’s been fairly reliable except when roaming and then there isn’t a connection.

A bit speedy at 249/month but for my job I need to stay connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bertimus2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:36 AM   #14

I have 3 lines unlimited data with AT&T. Two lines are iPhones and the third goes to a 3G modem which is connected to a WIFI router. The modem is always in use at the house and goes with us camping. Connect it to another router in the trailer and instant private WIFI. All my smart devices are connected.. TV's, Google Chrome, Laptops, etc. Have always had a signal (so far!) Also, doesn't run down your phone quick ...like it would if it was a hotspot.
RVPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #15

If at&t is good where you'll be, then get a zte mobley its your best choice. $20 dollars unlimited data.
Hama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hama View Post
If at&t is good where you'll be, then get a zte mobley its your best choice. $20 dollars unlimited data.
Can't beat that deal!
Old 10-16-2017, 07:08 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
The caveat with mobley is that you must have residential DirectTV or U-verse. If you have one of the accounts, it sounds like a great deal.
Nope, you can have a stand alone account. The caveat is if your in one of the rare places where at&t is actually good.

What I did is bought a zte mobley straight out. $100. Sign up for there $20 unlimited plan, bought a velocity off ebay for $25. Took the SIM out of the zte mobley and put it in the velocity. So for $20 dollars a month I have an unlimited hot spot.

Just Google zte mobley and the $20 unlimited plan. All the info is out there. A lot of campers use this method
Hama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet, satellite, wifi