Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-04-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Internet options?

A little over my head so what I want is to be able to take my laptop when we camp and have internet access, even when there is no wifi! Dont care about the phone. Please share some options.
Thanks
Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #2

I have the Verizon unlimited plan on my iPhone which provides a hotspot. Worked really well on our trip to Maine and Canada this past summer. We even were able to stream movies.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #3

I tether mine to my cell phone. But that requires that I have cell service. I would think a jetpack would require a cell signal to operate as well.

I know there are sattelite connections available as well, but I don't know anything about them.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
I have the Verizon unlimited plan on my iPhone which provides a hotspot. Worked really well on our trip to Maine and Canada this past summer. We even were able to stream movies.
X2 on the Verizon/iphone hotspot. I did this for a whole month in a rental condo with no internet.

Yes, a Jetpack needs cell service and you will pay for it as if it were an additional cellphone. But you can just leave it turned on and no one has to tie up their phone.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaacs View Post
X2 on the Verizon/iphone hotspot. I did this for a whole month in a rental condo with no internet.

Yes, a Jetpack needs cell service and you will pay for it as if it were an additional cellphone. But you can just leave it turned on and no one has to tie up their phone.
Using the iPhone as the hotspot still allows you to use the phone even if you are on the internet. You are not tying up the phone. I'm not sure if that's the case with all carriers. And there is no additional cost for an extra line.
Mark S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #6

We have Verizon Unlimited also and although I could use the hotspot for the 15gb a month, I also use an app called PDA NET + that allows you to tether your smartphone to your laptop using a USB cord and use your mobile data instead of hotspot data.

It does have a free trial if you want to give it a shot, but if you want to use it full time, you have to pay for a one time license, which is I think $7.00. On my Note 4, I can also turn on a hotspot function in the program and let other devices connect thru my phone as well but that function seems to have been blocked/disabled when using it on a newer phone/version of Android.

Since all I really want/need is to have access for my laptop, it still works well for me as long as I have 4G access. So for a one time charge of 7 bucks, I don't have to buy a jetpack, pay the 10.00/month device charge, and can save my hotspot data for other uses. I have been using it for over a year now, have on occasion used close to 100gb/month and it hasn't used any of my hotspot data yet.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #7

Very hard to have internet without wifi. I have read about a class-a mounted dish that would give internet. Cost was around $5-6 thousand installed. Don't know if trees play a factor. Most of us use a cell phone with hotspot. My DISH satellite (Pathway X2) will not provide internet...

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #8

I can't tether my Tracfone so I use a Straightalk router that uses Verizon cell service.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #9

X3 on the Verizon unlimited plan. We have used it on an inter-state trip and along the coast of CA with great results. I will use the campground wifi for short periods but use the hotspot most of the time. You will sometimes experience very slow wifi if there are either a lot of people or a lot of kids streaming data.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
skip... You will sometimes experience very slow wifi if there are either a lot of people or a lot of kids streaming data.
Hmmmm.... 'people' or 'kids'.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
I can't tether my Tracfone so I use a Straightalk router that uses Verizon cell service.
I use Straighttalk for cell service, have no problems with it. Been thinking about a router, any problems with yours?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
grimeshaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:20 AM   #12
Site Team

I have seen some Hughes satellite disks on rv's and lots of advertising on tv for their new improved internet , and phone service.

I know someone who had it years ago and it was not reliable. If they are having another go at it, maybe they have overcome some problems.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #13

I have a VERIZON MIFI account which is a stand alone unit that creates a HOT SPOT using Verizon. Works anywhere Verizon is working which is almost everywhere. This is a secure WIFI network for us and we can use up to five of our Tablets type devices within a 100 feet range of the MIFI unit.

I stopped using the non-secure FREE WIFI at campgrounds and local business companies connections a long time ago. Was not very dependable for me to use.

My unit is one of the older units which gives my 3GB of data per month and the speed is slow but it works great for checking in with the kids, paying a few bills, some surfing of the internet. This is an early unit and will not downstream any movies or HDTV shows over the internet.

The cost is $25 a month and is a separate item on my Verizon Wireless Phone bill.

If I would upgrade to one of the newer Verizon JETPACKS MIFI units I would get to downstream movies and TV shows etc... That would raise my monthly cost to around $50 a month and my DATAPLAN would start at 5GB a month... You will need a 10-20GB dataplan to do the HOTSPOT downstreaming thing on a regular basis and that will cost you around $100 - $150 a month I reckon....

My older DROID Cellphone does not do the HOTSPOT thing but that is what most everyone uses now it seems... You can tether five or so of your devices through your newer cellphone HOTSPOT feature. Verizon is about the only carrier that works well anywhere in the US doing this. I suspect AT&T would fall into the number 2 carrier for off-grid camping signals anywhere in the USA. Finding something that uses the VERIZON NETWORK backbone is what you want to look for...

We get our HDTV fill using the OTA BATWING Antenna pointing at local towns that are transmitting digital HDTV signals. Works great for us and this is all FREE... Watch local Digital HDTV every night when camping off-grid...

Then we use our Verizon low key $25 a month MIFI account to check-in using the internet with the kids, pay a few bills, and surf the internet etc... Been doing this since 2009

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimeshaus View Post
I use Straighttalk for cell service, have no problems with it. Been thinking about a router, any problems with yours?

The biggest problem I have with my Straightalk router is the device limitation. I run into the 5 device limitation frequently. Between cell phones, laptops, ereaders, and my kids and grand kids devices, it's pretty easy to hit the 5 device wall. I have to turn off the wifi on selected devices.

Another problem is that once your data runs out, it becomes unusable. I can't even go to their site and buy more data. I have to use my phone to reload more data.

You also need to know that using the Straightalk web site to ascertain remaining data is dicey. Sometimes you get an answer, sometimes you don't.

FYI the cost is $15/Gig but as you buy more the cost comes down. I'm on the lowest plan just to keep the router usable for when the power goes out at my house.

All in all, I find the device usable and cheap enough.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #15

Check with Verizon if you plan to use your phone as a hotspot in Canada with the Unlimited plan
We learned a dirty little secret of theirs. In Canada you do get service but after the first gb a day the speed slows down dramatically Usually for us it was 1x which precluded using the phone for anything other than a phone.
Do not run Google Maps under the unlimited plan.. a real data eater.

So for us spending a lot of time in Canada it was an expensive waste of money.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:15 AM   #16

I just switched to T-Mobile They have a $60 plan (for those 55 and older...) that is for two lines, tax and fees inclusive, and unlimited talk, text and data. Also includes Canada and Mexico. I can tether wherever there is a signal...and the signal may be the issue but so far it's better than AT&T by a long shot.

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:34 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppers4 View Post
The biggest problem I have with my Straightalk router is the device limitation. I run into the 5 device limitation frequently. Between cell phones, laptops, ereaders, and my kids and grand kids devices, it's pretty easy to hit the 5 device wall. I have to turn off the wifi on selected devices.

Another problem is that once your data runs out, it becomes unusable. I can't even go to their site and buy more data. I have to use my phone to reload more data.

You also need to know that using the Straightalk web site to ascertain remaining data is dicey. Sometimes you get an answer, sometimes you don't.

FYI the cost is $15/Gig but as you buy more the cost comes down. I'm on the lowest plan just to keep the router usable for when the power goes out at my house.

All in all, I find the device usable and cheap enough.
Thanks much hoppers4

grimeshaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #18

Works for me

I've been using Republic Telecom for over four years now. Costs me $23. a month. I get Wireless, Cell. and a gig of data......
Old 12-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #19

I have an AT&T wireless unlimited family plan. It includes 10GB of hotspot use for each phone during each month (after the 10GB AT&T claims the right to slow the connection). We use the hotspot when on the road. We do not use WiFi in campgrounds or hotels because of security risks and slow WiFi. As others have mentioned, as long as you have cell service the hotspot works great and is generally much safer and faster than free wifi from campgrounds and hotels. Verizon usually has coverage in places where AT&T doesn’t. However, except for camping in the back country, we have not had a problem with AT&T service.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #20

There is a fix to restore hotspot functionality to a newer Note, found on a search.