Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-22-2015, 04:03 AM   #1

Inverter ?

What does the battery being dead have to do with nothing working on the inside of the camper, but, the plugins. I even tried to run the air conditioner fan. Nothing worked but the plugins. The fan wasn't running on the inverter/converter either. I then charged the battery and everything worked. How can I tell if the inverter/converter switched over to ac when I plug it in? I have an '06 29Y Jay Feather. Still didn't work when plugged in to shore power until the battery charged. After charging the battery it works fine. Thanks
bereta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 05:23 AM   #2

Turn on the lights while on battery and they should get a little brighter when you plug into shore power if the converter is working correctly.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 AM   #3

You need to post the model of your converter/charger. Some of the older units use the battery as part of its DC REGULATION CIRCUIT and has a RELAY that is operated by a working battery before it will OUTPUT DC VOLTS.

The AC and DC DISTRIBUTION PANELS is the heart of the Electrical requirements. The 120VAC Portion of the Distribution Panel is tied into the SHOE POWER or Generator source. The 12VDC Side of the Distribution Panel is connected to both the 12VDC sources coming from the on-board Converter/Charger unit and the BATTERY. Both are connected to the same point on the 12VDC Distribution panel. This allows the 12VDC Distribution Panel to be powered up when your are connected to ore power or just connected to the battery when shore power is not available.

Here is a simplified diagram of the 120VAC and 12VDC items connected to the two Distribution Panels..

From your description of problems it is telling you the Converter/Charger unit is not providing 12VDC to the 12VDC Distribution Panel for what ever reason. Things to check is the 120VAC circuit breaker feeding the Converter/charger unit, DC OUTPUT Voltage coming from the Converter/charger unit that is connected to the 12VDC Distribution Panel. It appears the Battery connection are OK since the 12VDC items work when the Battery is charged up. When on Shore Power the converter/charger unit is what is suppose to charge the battery.

You will need to get a inexpensive MULTIMETER from WALMART-LOWES-AMAZON to know for sure what you are reading...

One quick test is to measure the battery terminals without shore power turned on and your battery should read 12.6-7VDC if fully charged. The turn on shore power and the battery terminals should jump up to 13.6VDC telling you the converter/charger unit is working. This is apparently not working from your description.

You will need to find out the status of the converter/charger unit. If it does turn out to be a bad converter/charger unit do not replace with the same 2006 vintage unit. This is great time to upgrade a smart mode multi-voltage model converter/charger that should fit in the same bottom compartment.

just some of my thoughts here...
Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:20 AM   #4

The odd thing is, when you disconnect the battery, lights go out, even with shore power. I have a DLS 45. Thanks for the help
Old 07-22-2015, 07:38 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bereta1 View Post
The odd thing is, when you disconnect the battery, lights go out, even with shore power. I have a DLS 45. Thanks for the help
Your description points back to the Converter . Check for 120v AC input and 12dc output. Fuses, wiring etc.

Most all lighting in a rv is DC.

You titled this thread inverter? The inverter , if you have one has nothing to do with the problem you are describing.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 08:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
You need to post the model of your converter/charger. Some of the older units use the battery as part of its DC REGULATION CIRCUIT and has a RELAY that is operated by a working battery before it will OUTPUT DC VOLTS.

The AC and DC DISTRIBUTION PANELS is the heart of the Electrical requirements. The 120VAC Portion of the Distribution Panel is tied into the SHOE POWER or Generator source. The 12VDC Side of the Distribution Panel is connected to both the 12VDC sources coming from the on-board Converter/Charger unit and the BATTERY. Both are connected to the same point on the 12VDC Distribution panel. This allows the 12VDC Distribution Panel to be powered up when your are connected to ore power or just connected to the battery when shore power is not available.

Here is a simplified diagram of the 120VAC and 12VDC items connected to the two Distribution Panels..

From your description of problems it is telling you the Converter/Charger unit is not providing 12VDC to the 12VDC Distribution Panel for what ever reason. Things to check is the 120VAC circuit breaker feeding the Converter/charger unit, DC OUTPUT Voltage coming from the Converter/charger unit that is connected to the 12VDC Distribution Panel. It appears the Battery connection are OK since the 12VDC items work when the Battery is charged up. When on Shore Power the converter/charger unit is what is suppose to charge the battery.

You will need to get a inexpensive MULTIMETER from WALMART-LOWES-AMAZON to know for sure what you are reading...

One quick test is to measure the battery terminals without shore power turned on and your battery should read 12.6-7VDC if fully charged. The turn on shore power and the battery terminals should jump up to 13.6VDC telling you the converter/charger unit is working. This is apparently not working from your description.

You will need to find out the status of the converter/charger unit. If it does turn out to be a bad converter/charger unit do not replace with the same 2006 vintage unit. This is great time to upgrade a smart mode multi-voltage model converter/charger that should fit in the same bottom compartment.

just some of my thoughts here...
Roy Ken
Maybe I'm lookin at it wrong, but your diagram states the Power INVERTER is 110V to 12V, when in fact it is the opposite, the flow chart is right though. It just might be confusing to someone not familiar with Inverters.
Slotted and Dimpled Brake Rotors
Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Airbags with WirelessAIR Controller
TexasRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRT View Post
Maybe I'm lookin at it wrong, but your diagram states the Power INVERTER is 110V to 12V, when in fact it is the opposite, the flow chart is right though. It just might be confusing to someone not familiar with Inverters.
Yup, the description is incorrect. An inverter delivers 120VAC from a 12VDC source.

How many watts is a function of how much is spent.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #8

There are a couple of discrepancies in that diagram. The inverter description is one. Another is the tongue jack is shown being fed from the distribution panel. It is never done that way. It is fed directly from the battery.

I pointed this out to the original author of this diagram but he chose to not correct it.

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #9

Maybe my view is different but I see the inverter getting 12v from the battery and operating 110 volt items which seems correct to me.
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
Maybe my view is different but I see the inverter getting 12v from the battery and operating 110 volt items which seems correct to me.
The drawing is correct but the note below is wrong.

All nice conversation but has nothing to do with the op's problem.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 07-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #11

Thanks guys. Replaced the converter and every thing is back to normal. 0 voltage output when I checked it the one in the camper. Have a good one,and, thank God for it. Garry
Old 07-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #12

Sorry, Norty1, I meant converter. Thanks
Old 07-22-2015, 01:51 PM   #13
Site Team

Glad you were able to get it going so fast.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 07-22-2015, 08:54 PM   #14

Thanks for the diagram. We had a similar problem this past weekend while hooked to shore power, fridge & lights went out. Microwave, GFIs and air worked. Very confounding. Couldn't find a wiring diagram in any paperwork.
grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote