Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-01-2017, 12:19 PM   #1

Is bigger always better ?

We bought our 2017 212qbw and we thoroughly enjoy camping in it. But I always hear the comments. Oh that's just wouldn't be big enough. Or I get asked why didn't we buy one with a slide. Why do so many people feel like they have to have monster sized campers. I understand if your full time. Or have a large family. But it's just the two of us. And once in awhile our son my go. As for slide outs I didn't want one. It's that plain and simple. It's a lot less to worry with. I like trying to keep things simple.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Tn10point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:24 PM   #2

We purchased a Jay Flight 21QB and it is perfect for the DW and I, we see no reason why we needed anything larger than what our 21QB offers. We camp outdoors, we only go in our TT if the weather gets bad or to use the bathroom or to sleep.
2015 Jay Series 1007 UD (sold)

"Life is so very short, eat the dessert first".
eng45ine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #3

I think our 23B is way to big. I like that it has plenty of storage, so everything has a place, and everything is kept in its place.

With the kids I like that we do not have to convert beds over all the time. With bad weather, our small 1' slide makes a huge difference, and it has never cause us any maintenance issues in 5 years.

I have two trains of thoughts for our next camper; Go much smaller. Or, go way bigger, I want the storage, so I can always have my various hobby items with me, such as my telescope equipment, fishing equipment including lure making. I really don't want the physical interior space, just storage for our entertainment items.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #4

Is bigger always better ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn10point View Post
We bought our 2017 212qbw and we thoroughly enjoy camping in it. But I always hear the comments. Oh that's just wouldn't be big enough. Or I get asked why didn't we buy one with a slide. Why do so many people feel like they have to have monster sized campers. I understand if your full time. Or have a large family. But it's just the two of us. And once in awhile our son my go. As for slide outs I didn't want one. It's that plain and simple. It's a lot less to worry with. I like trying to keep things simple.

To play devils advocate I could say this:

Some people want "monster" sized campers for the same reason you prefer your small camper. It's what works for them..
Your camper would not work for me... it's too small... just like my rig wouldn't work for you... it's too big. But it has nothing to do with the size of my family (It's just the two of us...plus the kid sometimes), or the fact that it has four slides (I didn't want just three) rather, it's what I liked and was within my comfort zone both from a towing standpoint and my budget. It makes it fun for me to get away from the day to day life and enjoy.. which is what it's really about.

I've had everything from a camper shell, pop-ups, travel trailers and fifth wheels. Never once have I given a rats what someone who isn't writing the checks thinks about my choice and how I enjoy my time.

Rather than worry about what other people think or how you should justify it you should simply enjoy what you have for what it is...Sometimes the best response is no response at all...

EDIT:
fwiw, I looked at your floorplan online just now and it is layed out very nice. It's not exactly what I would consider a small trailer. Feel good about your decision.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #5

I wouldn't have even pondered the thought of getting the one I have now if it were just the two of us. When the kids get older and out, maybe. But honestly, I'm kinda fond of monster now.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:06 PM   #6

To big or too small

Are Eagle 321 RSTS seems like the perfect size for us. I think maybe the tow vehicle has a lot to do with what toys you tow! Happy Trails
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset Mtn..jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

If money wasn't an object id have an F350 Lariat with every bell and whistle and the biggest FW they make.

OR a huge super C, or a provost bus.

BUT I'm just a boy boy from a poor family (hes just a poor boy from a poor family)
Old 06-01-2017, 03:25 PM   #8

As others have said, what matters is what works for you.

I am of the same mind as Jagiven - For my wife and I, either the 195BH we have now, or some behemoth with a fireplace and hot tub (only exaggerating slightly) is what I want. The small trailer works for us, as a lot of the sites in our area are small, dry camping sites. The 195BH squeezes in there without much headache. A bigger trailer would limit our destination options.
whatimmadoboutmylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #9

Oh I'm not knocking anyone for what size camper they have. It don't matter me. If your happy I'm happy for you. I just get tired of some people telling me. Oh you should have done this or that. Or you want keep that very long. But at the end of the day like someone said. I'm the one making the payments. And as long as the wife is happy with it. That's really all that matters.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #10

+1 for the subject of this thread that I had to click on.

No, bigger isn't always better. My wife and I are getting ready to sell our 3000 sq ft house for a 1500 sq foot house that sits on 20 acres and is surrounded by national forest. So in that aspect, bigger *is* better, but it's not in the house.

We own some land off a 4x4 trail in the S.W. part of the state. My 'large' camper wont make it up the road. We're going to get a second camper if the economy holds out that will be pretty tiny by most definitions. In a lot of cases smaller is better. Just depends on your definition of camping. With the small rig I can camp for a week and never see another human and tow it with any vehicle that comes with a hitch.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #11

Sounds like a bow hunters paradise.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:09 PM   #12

Hunting is decent. Pronghorn and elk mostly, wide open spaces would make bow hunting extremely challenging. It's good .308 territory.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:11 PM   #13

To hunt out west. Is one item on my bucket list.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:17 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
We bought our 2017 212qbw and we thoroughly enjoy camping in it.
That is ALL that counts.

Make one of these bumper stickers for your TT and TV.

We are looking at getting a 17-20' TT for our short trips. Have to make one for that.

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Attached Thumbnails
MISC - My other RV is a Prevost.jpg  
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 04:34 PM   #15

Quote:
To hunt out west. Is one item on my bucket list.

The best bow hunting in state requires a few preference points for the draw in April. You can apply for a license out of state and make your #1 hunt code the one for a preference point. That's what I do every year. I still end up getting to go hunting ( I get my #2 choice anyway ) I gain 1 preference point as well. I'm up to 7 now so next year I can draw a tag in the N.W. corner of the state which is some of the best elk hunting in north america. If you just want the preference point, it's pretty cheap.

A good friend of mine is a bow hunter and is *very* successful taking elk with his bow. He wrote a book about it https://www.amazon.com/Jumpstart-Elk...in+elk+hunting

I'm not a bow guy but there is some extremely good terrain here for it, just not where I happen to be.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #16
Site Team

I have moved smaller with each trailer I've purchased over the years. 31' Airstream, 25' Nash, and now a 22' Jayco. The smaller they are, the more we seem to hitch up and go.

Not ruling out going big again, but just not right now.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:13 AM   #17

Each TT we've bought has been bigger. Our first was 18'; second 29'; latest is about 33'. The thing I like about the one we have now is I don't have to convert anything to accommodate my sons or grand kids. Also, the slide opens up big enough that we can be comfortable after a long day of fly fishing or flying. That first one was OK for just me, but for 2 people it was just too cramped. The second one was OK but the couch and dinette were converted every night... and it was a hassle. The shallow slide was OK but we were still just about sitting on each other. The truth is we're all different, and so are our TT needs. What works for you probably wouldn't work for me.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:43 AM   #18

It's all a personal preference, those that question you about it simply tell them, It's you preference. plain and simple. We started with a pop up, went to a 29' TT and now a 36' Motorhome with 3 slides, Since I am paying for it I couldn't care less what others think. Happy Camping!
Attached Thumbnails
Beachcomber rear 60 perc.jpg  
nma33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....... Why do so many people feel like they have to have monster sized campers.......snip
The following quote came to mind.......,

"We buy things we don't need with money we don't have to impress people we don't like".

I still have my 2005 Eagle and it continues to meet my needs, but that's not to say I wouldn't mind having a new TT..., just have to get that "justification" list a little bit longer

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:42 AM   #20

I'm in the camp of "who cares what anyone else thinks". I've seen families of 4 or 5 out at the CG having an absolute blast in a small pop-up or even a small hard-side unit where ALL the beds have to be made EVERY night. I've seen older couples with no children (except for the furry 4-legged ones) having just as good a time climbing in out of ENORMOUS trailers and MHs. We are 3 and have a 33 ft TT with one "super" slide. By my account, it's pretty big, but not huge. PLENTY big enough for all of us and as many guests as we care to have. We all have our dedicated bed space, which is a deal-breaker for me (I'm not into converting bed space every night, I'd rather just crash out and be done), but that's OUR preference.

It's more trailer than we technically need, but on the other hand, all I "technically" need I can carry on my back. DW doesn't like it that way, but I can do it and still have a blast. Who cares if your family of 6 is curling up together in a "canned ham" as long as you're out there having fun together. Afterall, that's what this is all about! And if anyone were to offer their "you won't have that for long before you upgrade, that's just too small" advice, I'd probably just chuckle it off and make some remark about not spending my son's college fund on a huge toy I don't want or need. Depending on who it was and how well I knew them, I'd argue they have no idea what they're talking about. There's too many choices out there for too many differing usage patterns and preferences to even begin making a statement like that to anyone.

Brush comments like that off and get out there!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote