Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2016, 07:40 PM   #1

Is fiberglass repairable ?

I'm interested in trading up to white hawk. Local dealer has good price on sale, but there is a little dent damage in the fiberglass (little accident).

The dent is very small, but it does make a little hole, pierced through. Due to an accident with pop up camper while backing. The pointy sharp corner of the pop up camper hit the side of the white hawk while backing up, they said. For that they are selling it at cost.

My question for fiberglass siding owners, does fiberglass little hole like that repairable and does not spread ?

Does fiberglass behaves like windshield ,that , once chippped it will spread ?

They said that they will repair it, but I wonder if even after repair, the hole will spread to crack due to constant movement of the whole trailer.

I know that I had a chipped windshield before , and it spread to a crack along the windshield
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 07:45 PM   #2

They are repaired all the time, just like boats and Corvettes. Not an issue if done right.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:10 PM   #3

Just let someone else do it. It is extremely hazardous to you and your family's health. Once you start sanding, the fiberglass dust goes everywhere and stays FOREVER. Not good as it can cause Silicosis (cancer).

There are cases where very young children have contracted it just from hugging daddy at night before bed while he is still in his work overalls.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #4

Very fixable. If it's a new rig I expect it could be repaired under warranty. Do a little research. Talk with the dealer for a qualified repair sbop, or call Jayco for a recommendation. I would figure out the cost then get a very good price.

My dealer found a small crack in my fiberglass while replacing a decal. That called me with therir finding, then repaired it. Looks as good new.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 05:50 AM   #5
Site Team

had two places repaired on an old rig in different locations. You could not find where the damage was when completed.

Main thing is matching the gelcoat color.
Leave it to the professionals.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 06:55 AM   #6

Yep, and depending on the extent of the damage, very expensive. I had a boat repaired and it was a fortune...and the damage wasn't that bad. Maybe that's just for the marine side of it but, yeah, cost me a lot. Total repair on my Sundancer was $4200 for a 11" gash.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #7

I'm sorry..$3200. Of which about a 3rd was gelcoat and color matching.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairenatic View Post
Just let someone else do it. It is extremely hazardous to you and your family's health. Once you start sanding, the fiberglass dust goes everywhere and stays FOREVER. Not good as it can cause Silicosis (cancer).

There are cases where very young children have contracted it just from hugging daddy at night before bed while he is still in his work overalls.
That information is extremely inaccurate.

Silicosis is a disease associated with the lungs. It has been suggested that it can lead to cancer. It is not cancer as such.

Cured fiberglass has not been directly associated with silicosis or cancer which I'm aware of. Many of the solvents used for manufacturing and repairing fiberglass are bad actors.

OSHA doesn't even list fiberglass as related to silicosis. It is more related to masonry work. (Silica sand)

Sources of Exposure

Sandblasting for surface preparation.
Crushing and drilling rock and concrete.
Masonry and concrete work (e.g., building and road construction and repair).
Mining/tunneling; demolition work.
Cement and asphalt pavement manufacturing.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/silicosis.html

Back to topic.

Repair of damage to non-structural fiberglass parts is not very difficult of itself. Getting the final finish to match is the problem. Getting an exact match for the color, texture, and finish is difficult even for professionals.

Depending upon the size and location of the damage one DIY option is to repair the damage with epoxy and cover the repaired area with a medallion, fake electrical cover, "Where I've Been" placard board, membership sticker, matching trim pieces, or other innovative way to hide the repair.

FWIW. vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 09:18 AM   #9

After my first trip, while in my driveway, I dropped the tailgate to back up and hitch. Had to come at it from an angle. Oops, corner of the tailgate dented/cracked the fiberglass skin - about a 2"x2" area.
Fiberglass cracks/holes generally do not spread, as long as they are in non-load areas. Since fiberglass is a fabric, impregnated by glue, it is very resistant to that kind of failure.
I did the repair myself, using fiberglass patches found at the auto parts store, and basic Bondo. Fiberglass repair consists of essentially reinforcing the area with a new piece of fiberglass over the damage, filling with glue, and blending it into the surroundings. It will be a bit stronger than the original area!
Hardest part was finding a matching paint color - Jayco was no help in advising me. Only advice my dealer gave was "take it to an auto body place". Perhaps - but it was too small for me to pay the price they might have charged.
Finally found a close enough paint match. Only at just the right angle can you tell that it is slightly different than the rest of the area. I've asked many to tell me where the repair is, and they can't find it.
So, rest easy - if they do any kind of a decent job, the repair will be a permanent fix. And you will be able to tell just by casually looking at it how well or poorly they did!
Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS1950 View Post
That information is extremely inaccurate.

Silicosis is a disease associated with the lungs. It has been suggested that it can lead to cancer. It is not cancer as such.

Cured fiberglass has not been directly associated with silicosis or cancer which I'm aware of. Many of the solvents used for manufacturing and repairing fiberglass are bad actors.

OSHA doesn't even list fiberglass as related to silicosis. It is more related to masonry work. (Silica sand)

Sources of Exposure

Sandblasting for surface preparation.
Crushing and drilling rock and concrete.
Masonry and concrete work (e.g., building and road construction and repair).
Mining/tunneling; demolition work.
Cement and asphalt pavement manufacturing.

https://www.osha.gov/Publications/silicosis.html

Back to topic.

Repair of damage to non-structural fiberglass parts is not very difficult of itself. Getting the final finish to match is the problem. Getting an exact match for the color, texture, and finish is difficult even for professionals.

Depending upon the size and location of the damage one DIY option is to repair the damage with epoxy and cover the repaired area with a medallion, fake electrical cover, "Where I've Been" placard board, membership sticker, matching trim pieces, or other innovative way to hide the repair.

FWIW. vic
My wife worked for a law firm that defended companies sued for asbestos and silicosis. What do you think silica is? It is the primary ingredient in the production of glass.

https://youtu.be/SeqDm9l3yEM
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
My wife worked for a law firm that defended companies sued for asbestos and silicosis. What do you think silica is? It is the primary ingredient in the production of glass.

https://youtu.be/SeqDm9l3yEM
Her firm defended the manufacturers. Did they win?

Your post makes it sound that by walking by someone working on fiberglass you will get cancer and die. That is just not true.

There are exposure limits for silica set by NIOSH. The effects are accumulative. They do not happen from a few repair operations. Silicosis is suspected to be related to cancer. It is still being studied. The official information is here.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2002-1...s/2002-129.pdf

Please read your original post again. Does it read like an attempt to communicate that people should use reasonable caution, or is it more an alarmist inflammatory statement based upon no real information. (I'll ignore the suggestion that you think that it is ok for the blue collar workers to do that dangerous job for you even when you feel it is extremely dangerous.)

Quote:
FOREVER?

Quote:
That may be true for someone having worked with asbestos. Even then, there are some forms of asbestos which are worse as to causing mesothelioma as opposed to others. (For instance. African asbestos - more toxic, fortunately more expensive so less common in N. America, as opposed to Canadian asbestos - less expensive, more common.) To be clear, silicosis is not proven to be as directly related to mesothelioma as is asbestos.
Please provide documentation to back your hug claim as relates to silicosis.

Have a nice day.
vic
VicS1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawntan View Post
I'm interested in trading up to white hawk. Local dealer has good price on sale, but there is a little dent damage in the fiberglass (little accident).

The dent is very small, but it does make a little hole, pierced through. Due to an accident with pop up camper while backing. The pointy sharp corner of the pop up camper hit the side of the white hawk while backing up, they said. For that they are selling it at cost.

My question for fiberglass siding owners, does fiberglass little hole like that repairable and does not spread ?

Does fiberglass behaves like windshield ,that , once chippped it will spread ?

They said that they will repair it, but I wonder if even after repair, the hole will spread to crack due to constant movement of the whole trailer.

I know that I had a chipped windshield before , and it spread to a crack along the windshield
If they're fixing it and do a good job I wouldn't worry about it. None of us know what our new trailers, or cars and trucks went through before we first saw them.
2016 Sunset Trail Super Lite ST250RB for sale
Next unit: Jayco Eagle 336fbok
FishAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #13

Thank you!

Thank you all for the help and opinion.
And yes , the dealer says they will fix it before handing the trailer off to me.
Now is the negotation time !
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 05:31 PM   #14

I'm curious as to what the dealers 'cost' is.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #15

Fiberglass does not cause Silicosis

Quote:

Here is some info about Silicosis:
Factory, mine, and masonry workers are at the greatest risk for silicosis because they deal with silica in their work. Silica is a highly common mineral found in sand, rock, and quartz. People who work in the following industries are at greatest risk:

asphalt manufacturing
concrete production
crushing or drilling rock and concrete
demolition work
glass manufacturing
masonry
mining
quarrying
sandblasting
tunneling

A person sanding fiberglass should be careful and wear a mask, but they can't get silicosis from doing that.

2016 Greyhawk 29MV

Wherever you go, there you are!
LI-Camper is offline   Reply With Quote