Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-09-2021, 04:43 PM   #1

Is the Jayco 23RL an "All Season" camper?

I have a 2018 Jayco 23RL that I bought used. It couldn't have been more than 1-2 years old when I bought it on consignment from a local RV dealer. Said the old couple that had it couldn't handle it. (they backed it into something and dented in the skirting on onside and apperantly also scraped the other side of the skirting too and I found later after crawling under the camper that they appearently had broken the black and grey water drain pipes but they had been repaired which was not mentioned) and for some reason they also cut and removed the solar ready connection and who knows what all else.

Anyway to my point, I called Jayco corperation to find out if the camper was classified as all season and they acted as if they'd never heard the term before. Looking at the bottom of the camper, everything is enclosed and appears to be covered with that plastic looking corigated cardboard looking plastic stuff. I had been told by someone that if everything is covered up and no piping is exposed (and I am assuming everything is insulated and then covered, from the bottom, with that plastic cardboard) that is is all season, but I couldn't get Jayco to comment.

Does anyone know???
Kristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:28 AM   #2

All season

Please help me to understand.... when you reffer to all season does that mean that you dont have to winterize the camper ?

Im i correct in thinkin that they caint be used in the winter without some form of protection from the cold ?

If you can use the camper... what should be done so that pipes dont freeze ?

Do we have people here that use their camper in the winter months and if so what state are you in ?
Teammuir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 06:16 AM   #3

All season generally means they built so they can withstand being used in colder temps better, tanks and most plumbing is not exposed and are possibly heated by furnace and or heat pads. Probably OK if you don't experience severe cold weather.

One RV park that I know of in Brimley, Michigan (UP) is open year round mainly for snowmobilers. Probably most do not use their RV water systems and use the bath house.

If below freezing any rv not being used should be winterized. Water lines drained, tanks emptied, rv antifreeze ran thru system.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 07:57 AM   #4

Aroamer is right we use ours we live in michigan we go to a campground up north for deer hunting in the winter we don't even bother using the water system we just use the bath house at the campground I guess you could make it work but you would spend more time trying to keep the pipes fro. Freezing than actually hunting or doing whatever it is yiu going to do but it's still fun to go get out have some fun a rough it fir a few days
Rdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #5

Personally, I don't think it means you don't have to winterize, but if you are staying in it, i.e. heater running etc, the insulation on the bottom of the camper covering the pipes should be adequate to keep from freezing. that is the question I am getting and. I think they do have campers that do this, hence, all season. that's all I know
Old 10-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #6

No, it is not considered an all season although dealer options or aftermarket may have significantly altered the capabilities.
Old 10-11-2021, 07:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
Personally, I don't think it means you don't have to winterize, but if you are staying in it, i.e. heater running etc, the insulation on the bottom of the camper covering the pipes should be adequate to keep from freezing. that is the question I am getting and. I think they do have campers that do this, hence, all season. that's all I know
They do have a season campers most are extended meaning you could get away with a little colder but depends were you are and how cold things get where you are at I've seen people where I go bring insulation boards or panels and use a heated water hose also but still depends how long your going to stay for to make it worth it personally for just 3 or 4 days not worth the Hassel but a couple of weeks would make sense to
Old 10-11-2021, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristian View Post
I have a 2018 Jayco 23RL that I bought used. It couldn't have been more than 1-2 years old when I bought it on consignment from a local RV dealer.

Anyway to my point, I called Jayco corperation to find out if the camper was classified as all season

Does anyone know???

As the owner of a 2016 23RLSW (predecessor model to the 23RL), my *OPINION* is an emphatic no. There is no heat in the underbelly, even though it is enclosed. Plumbing is in there. Think you're gonna get frozen pipes.

2nd, the wall insulation is pretty inadequate for cold weather. It gets COLD inside ours when the outside temp drops below mid-40s. We've experienced a few nights with temps in the 30s. Bundle up!

3rd note related to above, the furnace outlet is only in the main cabin, no ducting. Makes for a cold bedroom. We are able to run the AC blower in cold temps, which does circulate the heated air throughout; can't guarantee you will. It depends on the thermostat.

Good luck!

Roger

TV 2010 Ford F-150 Supercab
TT 2016 Jay Feather 23RLSW
rkresge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:58 PM   #9
Site Team

It would be great if everyone's seasons were all the same, however your coldest temperature may be 25*, and mine might be -50* below zero. (I did experience that before I moved. Not fun). So what some folks may define as all season might be completely different than mine, and closer to being true. I joke that way up north here, there's only two seasons...winter, and the 4th of July!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:03 PM   #10

awesome, thank you so much, this helps. I have actually had it out in freezing temps and we did okay but I am not sure exactly how cold it got outside to make a reference point. The heater did run a lot but we were cozy. and yes, the BR is a bit cooler than the rest of the box.

thanks again
Old 10-11-2021, 10:15 PM   #11

Cold weather

I live in Kentucky 45 min from louisville...
Out in the country.....lol
Which I will say I am new too.... Love it....
I have been working on our 28ft Jayco and it is possible we may have to stay in it on our property soon ( until the Tiny Home is completed ) .....so I am concerned about freezing pipes... the underside of ours is exposed like most campers..... Im thinkin about buying some batt insulation for the underside then Thick plastic stapled up with wood strips..... any thoughts about the idea ?
Old 10-12-2021, 05:14 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teammuir1 View Post
I live in Kentucky 45 min from louisville...
Out in the country.....lol
Which I will say I am new too.... Love it....
I have been working on our 28ft Jayco and it is possible we may have to stay in it on our property soon ( until the Tiny Home is completed ) .....so I am concerned about freezing pipes... the underside of ours is exposed like most campers..... Im thinkin about buying some batt insulation for the underside then Thick plastic stapled up with wood strips..... any thoughts about the idea ?
That's not a bad idea at all but get a heated drinking water hose to that will help alot from freezing g pipes try to keep the underbelly as closed in as possible the wind coming underneath you will lose alot of heat and insulate your windows to with some form of plastic or something camper windows are very thin and does not hold heat in well if you notice it's to cold get an electric heater for some extra comfort
Old 10-12-2021, 06:01 AM   #13

Electric heaters are a must.... the cost of propane is higher than electricity here.....we have 3 heaters of different sizes....
I even thought about doublin up the inso... were i know the water lines are just for added protection....
The water hose to the camper.... thas one I hadnt thought about yet....( Good Thinkin )....
I didnt know such a thing exsisted ( heated hot water hose ) !!!
Old 10-12-2021, 06:09 AM   #14

Yes the heated hose exists lol I know it's not common for most people but when we go to northern Michigan in the winter for hunting I see people using them and here it get freaking cold I know it does in Kentucky to but most of our days and nights don't even break 20 most of the time so for most people using their water really don't have a choice I know those hoses can get a little pricey but well worth what could happen if you did not get one
Old 10-12-2021, 06:13 AM   #15

Heated Water Hose

RDOGG...... THANKS.....
Never knew it exsisted and this is what this forum is for.....
Talking and Discovery of ideas from other people...
Huge tip... thanks
Old 10-12-2021, 06:18 AM   #16

Definetly is and no problem I have also definetly learned alot from this form it's awsome to have a bunch of good ol folks with great ideas to get together
Old 10-12-2021, 06:29 AM   #17

AGREED....
I BELONG TO CHEVY FORUM'S WITH MY VAN...TRUCK... AND K-10 4x4 custom...... im not new to them and always have leaened from them.... Good People make a Good Forum....
KEEP the ideas flowing... lol
Old 10-16-2021, 01:01 PM   #18

I don't have your specific model, so I can't speak for exactly how it's equipped. However, if you're going to want to use it year round spend a few days and get some Easy Heat Freeze Free cable. I've used this for 2 different trailers, including my current Jayco 5er. Had the first trailer in -40F and below and highs -8F-ish for a week straight multiple times. The Jayco I've only had to -23F. Never had a freeze up in either one.

The reason for that specific brand and series is because it can be wrapped over itself without fear of burning or shorting out. It's designed for it. I wrap the valves in a figure eight pattern and run the cable along all water lines. Then wrap all that with pipe insulation. The biggest thing is to follow their directions for use. It comes with a compact guide for pipe size and coldest temp. Mostly, the 1/2" water lines, you can put a single cable between the hot and cold lines, then wrap them together. Anything bigger, you'll have to run in a spiral around the pipe and pay attention to how close the spirals need to be. Just note that the Freeze Free stuff is not intended to get wet.

I also added tank heaters on the tanks so I don't have to worry about them. All of this draws little enough power that I can run it from my 50 amp service in my 5th wheel.

Everyone tells me when I first arrive I'm crazy for not underpinning my trailer. Then after a huge cold front and me not freezing, they come and ask what I do to not worry about it. I spend 6-8 weeks typically in the winter in either Utah or Colorado for ski trips.

I'll also 2nd the heated drinking hoses. I've tried all brands and never gotten more than a season or 2 before they quit working. So, just plan on keeping a spare. Oddly, I've made ones out of regular hose, normal pipe heaters and insulation and never had a failure (all are still working). But it's not really recommended as that pipe heater isn't intended for hoses. Also note, Freeze Free isn't supposed to get wet. So, not really an option for the hose unless you can ensure you can keep it completely dry.

Good luck!

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 01:20 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingaggie View Post
I don't have your specific model, so I can't speak for exactly how it's equipped. However, if you're going to want to use it year round spend a few days and get some Easy Heat Freeze Free cable. I've used this for 2 different trailers, including my current Jayco 5er. Had the first trailer in -40F and below and highs -8F-ish for a week straight multiple times. The Jayco I've only had to -23F. Never had a freeze up in either one.

The reason for that specific brand and series is because it can be wrapped over itself without fear of burning or shorting out. It's designed for it. I wrap the valves in a figure eight pattern and run the cable along all water lines. Then wrap all that with pipe insulation. The biggest thing is to follow their directions for use. It comes with a compact guide for pipe size and coldest temp. Mostly, the 1/2" water lines, you can put a single cable between the hot and cold lines, then wrap them together. Anything bigger, you'll have to run in a spiral around the pipe and pay attention to how close the spirals need to be. Just note that the Freeze Free stuff is not intended to get wet.

I also added tank heaters on the tanks so I don't have to worry about them. All of this draws little enough power that I can run it from my 50 amp service in my 5th wheel.

Everyone tells me when I first arrive I'm crazy for not underpinning my trailer. Then after a huge cold front and me not freezing, they come and ask what I do to not worry about it. I spend 6-8 weeks typically in the winter in either Utah or Colorado for ski trips.

I'll also 2nd the heated drinking hoses. I've tried all brands and never gotten more than a season or 2 before they quit working. So, just plan on keeping a spare. Oddly, I've made ones out of regular hose, normal pipe heaters and insulation and never had a failure (all are still working). But it's not really recommended as that pipe heater isn't intended for hoses. Also note, Freeze Free isn't supposed to get wet. So, not really an option for the hose unless you can ensure you can keep it completely dry.

Good luck!

Tim
That's a good idea wrapping the valves definetly heated tanks I do not have those bit the furnace heat is ducted to the tanks but still don't trust it in northern Michigan to not freeze on me
Old 10-16-2021, 01:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdogg View Post
That's a good idea wrapping the valves definetly heated tanks I do not have those bit the furnace heat is ducted to the tanks but still don't trust it in northern Michigan to not freeze on me
Yeah, I'm certain I over-engineer what I do. But, I also never worry about it when I'm done. And, like you, I don't care what they tell me, I don't trust it.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
all season, all year, insulated