Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2019, 08:46 AM   #1

Items falling from cupboards in transit

Any suggestions to keep items in cupboards during transit?
We have a 2019 Jayflight SLX 8 245RLSW Baja Rocky Mountain Edition.
MissoulaMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not familiar with your trailer. Do cupboard doors fail to stay latched or ??
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #3

To avoid an “avalanche “ when opening cupboard doors, we use a lot of the spring bars to hold stuff in. Just be sure to expand them against the cabinet frame, not the thin luan walls or you can pop the staples out. We also use the pieces of bubble wrap that comes in packages from places like Amazon to pad dishes and glassware in the cupboard, inside the spring bars.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #4

OP.....I have the same model as yours......only a 2017 model.

With the corner "pantry"?

Keep heavier items low.

This works for me.

Overhead cabinets above the sink have never come opened.

Use caution when opening.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissoulaMT View Post
Any suggestions to keep items in cupboards during transit?
We have a 2019 Jayflight SLX 8 245RLSW Baja Rocky Mountain Edition.
Ball bungees are great for wrapping around cupboard door handles to keep them closed during transit. So handy for everything around an RV!
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #6

Keep the cabinets full, so stuff can't move around much. Fill empty spots with extra paper towel rolls or misc stuff that doesn't add much weight. You'll likely need it anyway. As long as your doors stay latched you'll be good to go. Just be a little careful when opening the cabinet for the first time after traveling.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #7

We cut pool noodles and use them in/on everything.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:06 AM   #8

Once we have everything loaded, last thing before hitting the road we stuff our pillows in our cabinets above everything during transit. When we arrive they come out and everything is just where we left them.
GollyGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
To avoid an “avalanche “ when opening cupboard doors, we use a lot of the spring bars to hold stuff in. Just be sure to expand them against the cabinet frame, not the thin luan walls or you can pop the staples out. We also use the pieces of bubble wrap that comes in packages from places like Amazon to pad dishes and glassware in the cupboard, inside the spring bars.

Brilliant ideas! Thank you!
Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 AM   #10

They do not stay latched. It appears the cupboards may have been overfull or items banged against the doors. I wondered if the latches could be tightened?
Old 06-27-2019, 10:15 AM   #11

After our first trip we learned that cans can fly so we bought these bins to keep everything in place. When we setup we remove the bins and nest them under our dinette seat. There’s like a rubberized liner on all the shelves so even the bins don’t move around.
The bins come in handy for taking things outside to the picnic table and even use them for wash up afterwards so there used like for the whole camping experience & they can go to the beach ( with lids ) when we bring food.
Attached Thumbnails
22469935-D330-4A7F-8922-DBFE8366C48C.jpg  
Old 06-27-2019, 10:27 AM   #12

Secure cabinets

Alaska roads are really rough so our Jayco 263RKS was really jostled going down the road. After experiencing a full bottle of maple syrup falling out of the cupboard, breaking, and dripping down the heat register (I craved pancakes every time the heat came on for years), I got Velcro straps at Joanne’s and would wrap around the facing handles to secure. Also used a dowel stick on the drawers to keep from opening. May not work on all, depending on the hardware on the cabinet but worked for us for 12 years. If cabinets were really empty, I would stuff a pillow or paper towels in to fill the space.
Nasonjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #13

I had problems with cabinets opening on my 2017 Greyhawk. The final straw was when a jar of marinade flew out and broke on the floor. What a mess!

Bungies and the such would not work on my cabinets. I researched and found some baby locks that are outstanding!!! They are hidden so you don't see anything from the outside. They don't allow the door to open at all.

The secret to opening the door is to use the supplied magnetic knob. You hold it against the area of the lock and it releases the catch. There is a lever on the latch that allows you to keep it unlocked so you don't have to use the magnetic knob to open it.

I flip the lock levers to lock before travelling, use the magnetic knob to unlock when arrived, and then set the lever to unlock while camping.

Bought mine from Amazon. As there is not much surface for the adhesive to grab inside the cabinet, I fired some air staples through it to hold the catch in place.

I also put a little black dot on the outside of the cabinet door so I know where to hold the magnetic knob to unlatch.

I tried inserting an Amazon link but there appears to be a problem with the forum's link setup. It just briefly flashes and then basically locks things up. Anyway, you can do an Amazon search for BENGOO Updated Baby Safety Magnetic Cabinet Locks and it should pop up.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture.JPG  
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissoulaMT View Post
They do not stay latched. It appears the cupboards may have been overfull or items banged against the doors. I wondered if the latches could be tightened?
There is no practical way to tighten them, but it is fairly easy to add a second latch.

Gravity sometimes fails during transit, so we stack our dishes with rubber shelf liner squares between plates and bowls for transit. I made inserts for the cabinets holding glasses and cups. The cups ride upside down over small hockey pucks glued to a thin plywood insert. The glasses also travel upside down over dowels inserted into thin ply wood.

Canned and bottled goods ride in bins in the lower cabinets.

Tags
cupboard, falling, storage