Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #21

Vent Covers

Big1, what is your roof covered with? It doesn't appear to be rubber.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #22

The white covers are available at most wally worlds. Where ever you get them after installing, put a coat of wax on them. They will be easy to clean and will stay nice longer.
short kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #23

Good job !
Jayco 330RSTS Gone
Jayco G2 bunkhouse Gone
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:29 AM   #24

Thank you guys for all of your comments, I had no ideal that this is a good mod to do. I figure that if one went bad the other will go bad, so I said wait a minute why don't I install the MaxAir cover also, I'm just learning all of this and yes it is worth the money.

Even though I spend over $250.00 for everything I look at it as a good investment for the long haul, after I take it out a few times I will check it to see if it still good. Great investment for sure.

@ mohok1, it's a cloth type of roof, it's by Dutchman Denali .
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:07 AM   #25

This may seem like dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway. What are the benefits and purpose of putting maxxair vents over the original vents?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kampfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:31 AM   #26

@ Kampfire, well for what I understand so you can open the vent and not worry about any rain getting in your trailer, and also so you can let the air, stale air moving out. I think also that while you traveling that you can open them up but since I'm new to this I'm sure that other will chime in.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
@ Kampfire, well for what I understand so you can open the vent and not worry about any rain getting in your trailer, and also so you can let the air, stale air moving out. I think also that while you traveling that you can open them up but since I'm new to this I'm sure that other will chime in.
This is mostly why I did it. Also, I wanted the extra layer of protection against leaks, and I didn't want to have left the vent open (while traveling or otherwise) and end up with a real problem. Another reason is that here in TX, the sun tends to "eat" plastic, and I didn't want that vent cover to get destroyed when the trailer was in storage and leave me with another problem. If I had been thinking, I would apply a coat of "Aerospace 303" to that vent cover and the rest of the plastic covers/pieces on top of my RV; it has a UV blocker in it to help fend off the harmful effects of the sun.

And yes, I can attest that you can absolutely leave the vent open while traveling with the vent covers installed. Another reason why I installed mine.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 10:25 AM   #28

ugh... I haven't seen/checked my Jay Flight since I closed it on Columbus day in October. It's at my seasonal site 130 miles away. There has only been one concerning snow storm on Cape Cod so far, so I'm hoping it's Ok. I have maxxair vent covers as well.
Old 01-25-2017, 10:45 AM   #29

We had them installed on our 2 vents at time of purchase and recently went throught a week of constant rain. Vent in bathroom stayed open and now wet!! We did get foam covers for the inside of the vents to reduce cold seepage and reduce morning light in bedroom slide per a post suggestion and glad we did that too!
Old 01-25-2017, 12:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
This is mostly why I did it. Also, I wanted the extra layer of protection against leaks, and I didn't want to have left the vent open (while traveling or otherwise) and end up with a real problem. Another reason is that here in TX, the sun tends to "eat" plastic, and I didn't want that vent cover to get destroyed when the trailer was in storage and leave me with another problem. If I had been thinking, I would apply a coat of "Aerospace 303" to that vent cover and the rest of the plastic covers/pieces on top of my RV; it has a UV blocker in it to help fend off the harmful effects of the sun.

And yes, I can attest that you can absolutely leave the vent open while traveling with the vent covers installed. Another reason why I installed mine.

Awesome advise, so where did you get the Aerospace 303 from, I know if I was still working I could pick up some because we had that at work, I work at Boeing for 35 years but I don't work there no more?
Old 01-25-2017, 02:00 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Awesome advise, so where did you get the Aerospace 303 from, I know if I was still working I could pick up some because we had that at work, I work at Boeing for 35 years but I don't work there no more?
I ordered mine from the Jungle (Amazon). I looked just about everywhere I could think of locally and couldn't find it, so I gave up and ordered it last year IIRC.

I use it in my truck too. Works WAY better than Armor All IMO, and there's lots of plastic in my truck. That stuff keeps it looking nice.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:27 PM   #32

I was using this a lot when we were building airplanes for Boeing but since I'm retired from there now I can't get it, but I might have one place that I might be able to get some locally and if I can't I will order a few cans, thank you.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:53 PM   #33
Site Team

CW used to carry it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #34

Thank you norty1, I was planning on going there anyway.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:56 AM   #35

That should read NOT WET!!!