Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #1

It's finally here my 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24 RBS

Just had the trailer delivered 2 days ago yeah! We feel very fortunate that the trailer was never used and we were at the right place and the right time when the previous owner had decided to give up on the camping idea when he turned the trailer back to the dealer where he had originally purchased it

My Trailer comes with a solar plug in, My question is when I was at the dealer orientation he had mentioned he had never seen a 2 battery set up along with a power disconnect switch on the battery. I kind of find that hard to believe. What is your thoughts As I am a newbie with this model trailer.

Hope you folks don't mind me posting more pics as I may have so more questions coming soon

Thanks for your replies
Mike
mdcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:36 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcamping View Post
snip......My question is when I was at the dealer orientation he had mentioned he had never seen a 2 battery set up along with a power disconnect switch on the battery. I kind of find that hard to believe. What is your thoughts........snip
Mike,

My 2018 24RBS new didn't come with a remote battery disconnect switch from the factory, so I would assume the 2017 24RBS didn't either.

The battery 'bank' on your 24RBS was probably added by the prior owner to support boondocking (rustic) camping.

There are a number of JOF members with the 24RBS floorpan, along with many forum threads.

My 24RBS Mod thread: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-51005-13.html

Bob

PS: Everyone enjoys pics!

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #3

^^ okay this makes sence as we think the previous owners were planning on using the trailer for some boondocking, we found a bunch of newbie Rv books in the trailer.

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #4

We really like our 24RBS, I think you will also. Ours is a 2020 and didn’t have a battery disconnect switch either, so I think that the PO added that one. What kind of batteries do you have? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:47 PM   #5

^^ (the everstart is dated 10-20) Though I haven't had to rely on the Batteries, they seemed to have plenty of power. Without shore power as I cycled the trailer slide & hot air heat and noticed the loads not struggling at all.

I went through the trailer service manuals and could not find any info on the converter, I'm going to guess it's the cheaper type where it chargers the batteries at a fixed rate?

^^ Down the road in a couple of years when my wife retires we may get more involved with boondocking/longer trips. Trailer came with a solar catalogue sizing work sheet. I figured from the worksheet that my weekly amp hrs for 12VDC might be around 371 which crosses over to a 170W solar kit. First time I have ever looked into solar so I am sure there will be error on my part as I am a newbie at this.

Am I even close?

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-25-2021, 01:19 AM   #6

Because those batteries are near new, might as well roll with them and see if they will meet your needs at least for now. Later after some experience, you may want to upgrade to more battery capacity. There are several ways to do this. By the time you will be ready to upgrade, you will have a lot more knowledge as to how much battery you need. The converter in your unit should be a WFCO 9655. It is not a single stage unit, but a 3 stage charger. Bulk which is 14.x, absorption which is 13.6 and float which is 13.1- 13.2. It will almost never hit the bulk phase unless the batteries are way down, absorption lasts about 3 days and then it drops to float. I have opened the slide in float mode,and it didn’t go back to absorption mode.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 04:59 PM   #7

Thanks Jay for the info on the converter.

Mike
Old 10-30-2021, 11:58 AM   #8

On my old Jayco X20E I would have a Ziplock bag of spare bulbs, all the lights work fine but this looks totally OEM on my 2017 24 RBS

Anyone stock spare parts on the tail light? Guess I need to order through jayco?

Thanks
Mike
Old 10-30-2021, 03:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcamping View Post
snip...... Anyone stock spare parts on the tail light? Guess I need to order through jayco?........snip
Command Electronics located in Michigan is a key supplier of LED lights to Jayco, and a good source for replacement assemblies and/or parts. They normally have the given LED light model/part number stamped on the outer lens cover or the mounting base plate (remove lens).

Command Electronics: https://www.commandelectronics.com

This might be yours: https://www.commandelectronics.com/s...55sdnbamsvcwg7

If you can't find what you need in Command's web catalog give them a call...., in the past I've found their customer support very helpful.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 05:40 PM   #10

Thanks bob for the link, I'm sure I will have future dealings with them.

I would prefer to minimize my dealings with my local Jayco service Rep, especially with the covid slowdown and with the Thor buy out.

Mike
Old 10-31-2021, 07:19 AM   #11

Welcome aboard Mike.
I have the same camper. There is a lot of info here. Many owners have made improvements to the camper. Search for 24RBS mods.
As for the solar power sticker. Mine, a 2019 model, came with the same decal and connector. It's a gimmick. All they did was to wire in a cheap connector to the frame and stick the connector below the frame. The right way to do this is to wire it into the RV and provide a place to hook-up a charger-controller along with a connector on the roof.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:35 PM   #12

Thanks Rich for the info on the solar, if it happens it will probably be 2 or 3 yrs down the road so I have time to get my homework done!

Mike
Old 11-03-2021, 09:41 PM   #13

I have a jayco 2019 212QBW, we do mostly dry camping. My 1st choice is 100 Watt portable solar panel with a controller. We camp mostly in Idaho. The solar paneI need at least 6 hour of sun light to replenish the 25 to 30 AH I used in the last 24 hours. Do to parking in shady areas and cloud cover my 2nd choice is a generator. The solar connector on the frame on the right is for portable solar panels.
salsa is offline   Reply With Quote