Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2021, 06:13 PM   #1

Jacking Trailer off ground for storage and use

I have a 29ft jayco jay flight with slideout. Weight is 6900 lbs not loaded.
I want to put it on some kind of jack or other device to keep the load off tires. It will be at my recreational property year around for storage and use.
I found the plastic trailer legs. Seem like a pretty cool item. They say they can be used full time and while trailer is in use and will also make it more stable and each leg can support 4000 lbs.
I also found Olympian Aluminum Stack Jacks that will hold 6000 lbs each, but fully extended are only 17". I need at least 17" to 19" just to start to lift off the ground. I could stack some wood under them to get up higher so I do not have to fully extend them (safer that way). Was just looking again and found EZ lift telescoping jacks. Go 16" to 30". They may be the answer.
I just want to take enough weight off the tires to relieve pressure. So, I would likely have to jack it about 2" to 4" over 17" to 19" trailer/frame height.

So, anyone have any better suggestions that I will not have to worry about the trailer falling off. I have only been on this forum for about the past month, but have found it very useful and great suggestions / ideas from knowledgeable people.
Thank you
Dean
tazzman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #2

Well, you need to do what works for you. But I had a 10,000 pound eagle, 8800 plus stuff, and kept it for about 10 years on its tires. I had RV Barn fort that was open at both ends. I would drive it up on 2x10s so the tires were off the gravel floor. I'd adjust the check so the trailer was not level to take care of runoff. At 9,000 ft we got quite a bit of snow. Then I would drop the stabilizers. Although the barn was probably 50 yards from the house, I did have power there with a switch at the house. I would turn that on from time to time to keep things charged up. Never had a tire problem and all the years I owned it. I did use scissors jacks the five months or so that we spent in Arizona in the winter to stabilize it further. That still left us with 4 months to enjoy the white stuff.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 08:48 PM   #3

cekkk, thanks for the advise. I have just heard the tires can get flat and sidewalls can split from sitting. I don't want to have to jack it up every year and rotate tires.
I will have it under a metal framed cover full time, so no rain or snow or other wise will get on it. And even with stabilizers down I still get a lot of rocking and I will either chock tires between them to keep them from moving or just jack it enough to take pressure off them so they do not rock the trailer so much.
My last trailer sat for about 13 yrs, never moved once. When we moved it the tires were showing splits in the side walls, not really any flat spots.
I know I am probably over worrying but I just want to protect my investment.
Thank you
Dean
Old 09-11-2021, 06:07 AM   #4

Put two solid 4” cap blocks side by side under each jack. If that’s not enough put 4 Blocks turn the top opposite direction of bottom blocks.
I have also seen ppl turn parking place curbs upside down to help levels a un level spot.
Click image for larger version

Name:	77F8706C-6819-49C5-89C0-B1AB9648AE24.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	75479

Click image for larger version

Name:	8905E86B-D49B-4805-9EB4-2DD016E8C147.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	75480
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 07:32 AM   #5

Is this camper going to move regularly. Or will it be set up as a seasonal rig? Only to moved when you decide upgrade?

13 year old tt tires are junk, and no matter what you do they will cracked, and unsafe to drive on.

If it will be setup as a seasonal. I would a few decent sized concrete pads down, and then make good cribbing on top of the pad. Could add a few of the aluminum rv screw jacks, or maybe a few short house jacks.

I would nottake the wheels off the ground.

https://www.amazon.com/BISupply-Base...a-814976782477

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #6

jagiven - This travel trailer will remain in place, most likely until or if ever upgraded. Could be taken on a trip now and then, but not something I am planning to do. But never say never.
I looked at the jacks you had linked. While they are strong, they provide no side to side support since the base is narrow. I am looking at some wide base jacks that can hold 6000 lbs each. When I say I am going to jack off the ground, what I mean is I will have 4 jacks (two each side under frame close to axle support) and jack up enough to relieve pressure on tires and to stop motion in trailer from tires being on ground. The scissor jacks on 4 corners will only be lowered enough to help stabilize trailer, not to lift it. The 4 center jacks will take the load of trailer.
I am not sure why you are so against jacking it up like this. It is not unsafe and the trailer & jacks can handle the load and will help stabilize the trailer from rocking on the tires. The only difference is the weight will be on the jacks, not the tires & suspension.
ldr
Old 09-11-2021, 09:50 AM   #7

I would support it like those storage buildings multiple places along the frame set a stack of blocks close to the frame. Put down a board and use wedge shims to finish taking up the gap. It will be rock solid and more like a real mobile home.

Make sure if you have it under a cover there’s room for air to move around the air conditioner. If you have snow make sure your cover can handle the snow load. Had some friends that had their trailer set up semi permanent like that and the carport it was under collapsed on top a d pushed the ac down into the camper.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 11:07 AM   #8

ggilbert - Yes, I like that idea with blocks in multiple locations on frame. I would likely use treated post cross stacked. I have about 17"-20" in height to frame. My storage cover is rated for our snow load in this area plus some. I had extra braces added to make sure. There will be at least a foot of space above the AC unit, maybe more and the cover has open ends for air flow.
Thanks for the input.
Dean
Old 09-11-2021, 09:09 PM   #9

if You plan to remove the wheels then the aluminum stack jacks would work. Get your TT on them, Jack the axle (near the hub) and remove the wheels, lower the axle. They will not touch the ground but will hang on the springs.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 05:53 AM   #10

Don't overthink this. If its a permanent site, put cribbing down and have that take the weight. Cribbing at front, just in front of wheels, and at the back. Those tires are going to be worthless after 2-3 years of sitting anyways. You don't need to be off the wheels, just about an inch above where it currently sits so that you take the flex out of the suspension and ensure that weight is on the cribbing.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 12:27 PM   #11

redhorse1 - Thanks but I don't plan to remove the tires just in case I decide to use it.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:35 PM   #12

spoon059 - Why do you say the tires will be worthless in 3 yrs? If I keep them covered, rotate them around they will be fine.
I agree to not over think it. i just want to provide good support of the trailer. What exactly is CRIPPING?
I am going to do as you suggest, jack up the TT just enough so weight is off suspension/tires, support the front, back, in front of the front axle and behind the back axle use either wood blocks or cinderblocks with treated 2x8 on bottom against gravel and on top against trailer frame on both sides of trailer. Seems like it would be safe and safe my tires.
Dean

Tags
jacking trailer